Big win vs Mo state!

cpacmel

https://goredbirds.com/news/2020/2/27/womens-basketball-illinois-state-downs-no-17-21-missouri-state-at-redbird-arena.aspx

Redbird82

Great game, I think that should clinch a postseason berth NCAA/NIT. Gillespie has really turned the program around, let's finish with 3 more wins and then 3 more at the Valley Tourney!!

JHBird

I was shocked that we hadn't beat a ranked team in 28 years! We've been toe to toe with Drake this year, and beat MSU twice now in the last two years. It wouldn't be inconceivable for us to win the Tourney this year, even if we're the fourth seed. We at least have a legitimate shot, imo. I kinda wish we had another crack at Bradley this year, but they'll have the 3rd seed. I doubt we'll both meet in the finals, but wouldn't that be something.

Redbird82

I think that has to do with league not being very strong over a lot of those years. This is the highest rated I’ve seen the league (8th). We were ranked ourselves several times over that period.

MadBird

I don't know how far this team can go, but it's hard not to like them. And the Coach.

One theory, an "old" coaching/recruiting theory - there's an influx of winners on this team. Maggett, Redmond, both high level JC winners, and HS winners. Wallen, winning HS athlete and ISU VB player. Saylor, big HS winner in hoops and track. Etc. Coach is putting a team on the court that knows how to win and expects to win. Things are starting to come around.

Reggie Redbird

MadBird said:
I don't know how far this team can go, but it's hard not to like them. And the Coach.

One theory, an "old" coaching/recruiting theory - there's an influx of winners on this team. Maggett, Redmond, both high level JC winners, and HS winners. Wallen, winning HS athlete and ISU VB player. Saylor, big HS winner in hoops and track. Etc. Coach is putting a team on the court that knows how to win and expects to win. Things are starting to come around.

A huge win and a coach who appears to have a lot of buzz around this program. I think when it is all said and done that Gillespie could surpass what Robin did, as long as she sticks around long enough.

Gillespie's impact players have been, for the most part, JUCO transfers or Wallen deciding to play another sport. I am hoping we will continue to see development of the freshmen; look at what Paige Saylor has done since she stepped on campus in terms of growing her game, Crompton having the ability to be lethal from 3, and Koudelka continuing to make progress. We have also seen a lot of development out of Megan Talbot under this new regime. That will hopefully mean they can do the same with growing the talent they have recruited, which seems to be a shortfall on the men's side.

Top Bottom