Arch Madness Seeding

dpdoughbird06

As good a time as any to start this thread, now that February is upon us.

Looking at standings, hanging on to the 9-seed might be perfect for the Birds. With all the top eight teams bunched at 9-4 or 8-5, the 8-seed will emerge from whoever collapses down the stretch, theoretically giving us a better chance on Thursday.

And playing the top seed on Friday isn’t the hurdle it once was, since nobody has separated from the pack this year.

Plus, with the new format even the 8-9 winner gets almost a full day of rest between games rather than having to turn around from a 6 PM tip to play at noon on Friday.

Not predicting any miracles, but depending on who rises and falls, there could be a friendly path to hanging around to play on a day - or days - beginning with “S”…

Baltimore Bird

Since I don't see ISU getting to the #7 seed, I am still hoping for the #10 seed for our Redbirds. I see little difference playing the #7 or the #8 seed to start the tournament. As stated above, they will be the teams that fall out of the top group. I much prefer to play in the evening on Thursday and hopefully Friday.

P

Popsto4

As good a time as any to start this thread, now that February is upon us.

Looking at standings, hanging on to the 9-seed might be perfect for the Birds. With all the top eight teams bunched at 9-4 or 8-5, the 8-seed will emerge from whoever collapses down the stretch, theoretically giving us a better chance on Thursday.

And playing the top seed on Friday isn’t the hurdle it once was, since nobody has separated from the pack this year.

Plus, with the new format even the 8-9 winner gets almost a full day of rest between games rather than having to turn around from a 6 PM tip to play at noon on Friday.

Not predicting any miracles, but depending on who rises and falls, there could be a friendly path to hanging around to play on a day - or days - beginning with “S”…
I saw a write-up somewhere a few days ago maybe a podcast saying the chance of a team from the bottom half of the league making it to championship round is more possible than people think. Idk but ok to hope I guess anything is possible

ISU86

I saw a write-up somewhere a few days ago maybe a podcast saying the chance of a team from the bottom half of the league making it to championship round is more possible than people think. Idk but ok to hope I guess anything is possible
I can see the conference over time adjusting game times so the better seed plays earlier, not only giving them the most rest but the team they play the least.

For example (assuming all better seeds win), the 5 v 12 game may be the first Thursday game whereas the 8 v 9 being the last. On Friday, games would be in bye seed order 1 v 8/9, 2 v 7/10, 3 v 6/11, 4 v 5/12. That way the better seed gets the best time spacing and lesser seeds get the worse.

DoubleDeuce

I can see the conference over time adjusting game times so the better seed plays earlier, not only giving them the most rest but the team they play the least.

For example (assuming all better seeds win), the 5 v 12 game may be the first Thursday game whereas the 8 v 9 being the last. On Friday, games would be in bye seed order 1 v 8/9, 2 v 7/10, 3 v 6/11, 4 v 5/12. That way the better seed gets the best time spacing and lesser seeds get the worse.
I can't.

ISU86

I don’t ever see the #2 Seed playing the game after the #1 Seed. If that happened the #3 Seed would have to play the evening game then play the noon game on Friday.
that's the whole point ... to get the better seeds more of an advantage. If seeds 5 - 8 get a whole day to sit before playing again, not as much advantage for 1 - 4. Makes the seed that much more important than simply sitting day one.

Adunk33

Staff member
that's the whole point ... to get the better seeds more of an advantage. If seeds 5 - 8 get a whole day to sit before playing again, not as much advantage for 1 - 4. Makes the seed that much more important than simply sitting day one.
They get a bye. Don’t need more of an advantage.

Redbirdfan21

Anyone seen a bracket with times? I assume Fri-Sun will stay the same. What seeds play when on Thursday?

Adunk33

Staff member
I thought 8 was the minimum every year?:)
Pedon had some very realistic insights on NCAA tournament selections that I'm not sure I've heard a coach talk so publicly about. He didn't say anything we don't already know but was very transparent. He went on to say the Power 5 teams have a "cheat code" due to NET and that (for example) that a 25-6 Illinois State team is rarely going to get in over a 16-15 Minnesota team. Really interesting stuff in the second segment about trying to build a team, how to incorporate the portal and MMs vying for NCAA bids.

P

Popsto4

Pedon had some very realistic insights on NCAA tournament selections that I'm not sure I've heard a coach talk so publicly about. He didn't say anything we don't already know but was very transparent. He went on to say the Power 5 teams have a "cheat code" due to NET and that (for example) that a 25-6 Illinois State team is rarely going to get in over a 16-15 Minnesota team. Really interesting stuff in the second segment about trying to build a team, how to incorporate the portal and MMs vying for NCAA bids.

Man I’m trying to hear this but cant

Adunk33

Staff member
Man I’m trying to hear this but cant
Hopefully, you were able to listen. Pedon talks about bringing Mal and DB in to turn them into 1's. I thought it was an interesting convo!

dpdoughbird06

I joined a Monday bowling league this year and haven’t made it out to coaches shows like I did in the past. I’ll have to listen to more afterwards.

I loved Pedon’s building a program philosophy. Transfers have their place, but get the guys who can play and grow together for three or more years. He sounds legitimately excited about Malachi/Burford/Kasubke doing so.

Thanks Adunk!

DaveBird10

I joined a Monday bowling league this year and haven’t made it out to coaches shows like I did in the past. I’ll have to listen to more afterwards.

I loved Pedon’s building a program philosophy. Transfers have their place, but get the guys who can play and grow together for three or more years. He sounds legitimately excited about Malachi/Burford/Kasubke doing so.

Thanks Adunk!
Then add Liam who still has 2 more years if he wants to use them and then add next years incoming freshman class of Pence, Kinziger and Chase Walker. You really then have 4 guys who can play together for 3 years and 7 players total for 2 years to grow together as they get more experience. That imo is how you build a roster to compete in the MVC. I don't think its a coincidence that Bradley, SIU, Belmont and Drake are the top 4 teams in the MVC who have had the least roster turnover and its why UNI is always competitive.

Adunk33

Staff member

Thanks Adunk!
I heard that in the show too. That when he was recruiting those three, it was with the thought they'd be here three years. If you get a core a build on it, to Dave's point, that's when you can consistently compete.

Top Bottom