Another Great Year for RBF.net

Total Red

Staff member
Another great year for Redbirdfan.net and of course that all starts at the top with the Site Administrator. The thing I've always enjoyed about RBF.net is that it lets know what fans are thinking. I got started with the first incarnation of this site in the late 90's. At that time I was living in Urbana and I had very few people with whom I could discuss Redbird athletics. I maintained a steady interest in Redbird athletics after my graduation but the intensity of my interest really took off when I was able to read the thoughts of other Redbird fans and exchange ideas on a daily basis.

You don't have to agree with what is being said but that's another thing I like about it. It's not overmanaged and it allows for a full range of ideas. You don't get that on every fan message board. Fans are free to criticize (and they do) and other fans are free the criticize the criticizers. In most cases we do a good job of getting to the truth (on factual matters) and you'll get good arguments from all sides on matters of opinion. It's really the only place that by default gives you multiple sides of the story.

Another thing I admire is that it is free and open to everyone. You could be Doug Collins or you could be a HS senior planning to attend Illinois State who has never even set foot on campus or attended a game. It doesn't matter. You have to the same access and ability to let you thoughts known.

So on to 2018. RBF.net - the most fun you can have without being drunk or naked. Actually considering it's New Year's Eve we may have a few people posting while drunk and naked but of course that's purely optional.

SgtHulka

70480.0.jpg

TP Guys secret lair

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Ha, thanks for the post TR and I agree that this is a great place. Course, I'm biased. But it's the posters that make it great.

I can put up some message board software and make it look pretty but if no one shows up to post then it doesn't matter. And not only do you guys show up but you keep coming back.

I haven't set up analytics on the new site, but when the board crashed in July, we had approx 42,000 individual users visit the site. During basketball season, we were averaging 4-5k different users a week. It's these people that make this site what it is.

TR talked about letting people have their views. Some would probably say I am too loose and should come down harder on some. Maybe, but I try really hard to not turn this into a place where if you don't root for ISU you are out. We have been lucky where we don't get too many knuckle heads from other schools (except NDSU) and everyone kind of police's themselves.

Anyway, thanks for making this place awesome. Can't do it without you!

Top Bottom