Alabama Basketball - Roll Tide baby

Humdinger

Star basketball player brings loaded weapon to the scene, with a teammate in tow...hands it off, and the receiver proceeds to let fly with bullets...killing a young woman right then and there, and injuring another target while putting a big smiley face of bullets into the target car.

Roll Tide Coach of #1 Alabama says 'nothing to see here, wrong place wrong time,' although he does moonwalk the statement after public outcry.

Hmmmn.

Your thoughts, please? Here's mine. If I'm A.D. or President, star player and teammate are thrown off the team and expelled from the university. Now. This isn't even a close call. The rest of us mortal morons would be charged as an accessory to murder.

Coach is suspended (I still don't know how long, 1 game or ... ?) with a press conference upon his return discussing the topic of why...he...is...colossally stupid.

Here's the most interesting of it all. You've got The Power of The Tide - and all of its branches - involved here. A #1 basketball team with a championship at stake. This university, athletic department, and boosters have about a gazillion dollars in which to play. You have power out the wazoo, and influence into the tiniest hidden corners of anything Alabama...including law enforcement, legislative factors, and judicial decisions.

Will Alabama do anything RIGHT in this situation??

Last edited:

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Its one of the saddest, craziest most unbelieveable stories I've ever heard in college basketball. I can't imagine the NCAA would be happy if they play in the tournament.

Adunk33

Its one of the saddest, craziest most unbelieveable stories I've ever heard in college basketball. I can't imagine the NCAA would be happy if they play in the tournament.
Is it possible the NCAA deems Bama ineligible unless whatever they see as "proper action" takes place? I honestly don't know what, if any, power the NCAA has in this situation.

Humdinger

Zero chance NCAA does anything this year. Zero. A penalty down the road maybe...like 5 yrs down the road after a token bazillion dollar investigation and they lose a scholarship or two and Oats gets politely censured.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
They may not do anything directly but assuming the NCAA thinks the press will only talk about this incident every time Bama plays there may be some phone calls to the President and AD of Alabama.

Bird Friend

Staff member
So . . , while what happened was horrible, I think we need to let the investigation unfold before we jump to conclusions about what the NCAA should or should not do. From what I’ve gathered, which isn’t extensive, Miller believed he was delivering Miles’ gun to Miles for Miles’ protection. Miles then told ‘the shooter’ where to find Miles’ gun in Miller’s car. That’s the fuzzy part. Why didn’t Miller give the gun directly to Miles?

Oats’ quote was quite tone deaf. Miller’s wasn’t in wrong place, wrong time. If a teammate called and told him he needed a gun for protection, he should have been able to tell this was a volatile situation. You don’t need protection unless you expect something bad to happen. So, imo, Oats should have said it was stupid, stupid, stupid: wrong thinking, bad choice, horrible result.

The question remains for law enforcement to determine Miller’s culpability, if any. In my completely not an expert opinion Miller’s leaving the gun unattended in his car is the issue. Is that illegal in Alabama? If yes, then he has some culpability. If not, then I’m not sure he has any legal culpability.

Just my <$.02

Humdinger

They may not do anything directly but assuming the NCAA thinks the press will only talk about this incident every time Bama plays there may be some phone calls to the President and AD of Alabama.
Oh I'm sure they've had convos with their NCAA rep or higher up the chain that probably involves those 2. But we won't hear about it formally for a long time.

Last edited:

Humdinger

So . . , while what happened was horrible, I think we need to let the investigation unfold before we jump to conclusions about what the NCAA should or should not do. From what I’ve gathered, which isn’t extensive, Miller believed he was delivering Miles’ gun to Miles for Miles’ protection. Miles then told ‘the shooter’ where to find Miles’ gun in Miller’s car. That’s the fuzzy part. Why didn’t Miller give the gun directly to Miles?

Oats’ quote was quite tone deaf. Miller’s wasn’t in wrong place, wrong time. If a teammate called and told him he needed a gun for protection, he should have been able to tell this was a volatile situation. You don’t need protection unless you expect something bad to happen. So, imo, Oats should have said it was stupid, stupid, stupid: wrong thinking, bad choice, horrible result.

The question remains for law enforcement to determine Miller’s culpability, if any. In my completely not an expert opinion Miller’s leaving the gun unattended in his car is the issue. Is that illegal in Alabama? If yes, then he has some culpability. If not, then I’m not sure he has any legal culpability.

Just my <$.02
I respect this and your input, Birdie. The point in my mind lies outside of the law, from a University standpoint. Your scholarship student(haha)athlete brought a loaded (he knew it was loaded) gun to a soon-to-be murder scene...and that said gun was used to do the killing. The University holds every right to revoke a scholarship and monies associated with said scholarship...for conduct that is unbecoming.

This is unbecoming x 9. Forget law...morality alone is enough to ban the kid from campus. If he's not a stud player I bet the kid would already be gone. I don't like pulling that card, but I believe it to be true. And you know, he might be the greatest kid in the world who made an innocent mistake. It is so egregious, however, that it demands - at the very least - a suspension from the team. At the very very least.

Does bring up an interesting question. Is there any language written into NIL agreements that includes any kind of moral ineptitude? Can NIL agreements be canceled? Can monies be revoked? I doubt it but it does make me wonder.

The other issue is this. Let's just stick in one category. How many college basketball NIL&scholarship athletes are running around with access to or illegal possession of a gun?

Sobering thought.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Jeez oh pete's now I'm wondering.. how much is the kid 'making' at Alabama? I ask a bit tongue-in-cheek but I do wonder. Half a mil? More? What kind of car did they put him in? Maybe they'll revoke him from a Hellcat down to just a simple souped-up Charger.

Bird Friend

Staff member
I respect this and your input, Birdie. The point in my mind lies outside of the law, from a University standpoint. Your scholarship student(haha)athlete brought a loaded (he knew it was loaded) gun to a soon-to-be murder scene...and that said gun was used to do the killing. The University holds every right to revoke a scholarship and monies associated with said scholarship...for conduct that is unbecoming.

This is unbecoming x 9. Forget law...morality alone is enough to ban the kid from campus. If he's not a stud player I bet the kid would already be gone. I don't like pulling that card, but I believe it to be true. And you know, he might be the greatest kid in the world who made an innocent mistake. It is so egregious, however, that it demands - at the very least - a suspension from the team. At the very very least.

Does bring up an interesting question. Is there any language written into NIL agreements that includes any kind of moral ineptitude? Can NIL agreements be canceled? Can monies be revoked? I doubt it but it does make me wonder.

The other issue is this. Let's just stick in one category. How many college basketball NIL&scholarship athletes are running around with access to or illegal possession of a gun?

Sobering thought.
I completely understand where you’re coming from. Money drives the sport, so money’s going to make the decision, morality be damned, imo.

cubird

Apparently, Miller skates because Alabama statues states he would have to know a crime was going to be committed by delivering the gun to the owner. Never mind the athletic dept being slow to act on Miller's poor judgment delivering a loaded gun to a drunk friend. The AD an President of the University have been mum and the coach has been bumbling so far.

Top Bottom