AD Larry Lyons retires !

fourthandshort

So I was doing yard work all day, not sure what the rest of yours excuses are !!

Anyway, let me first say and others are free to disagree ... but I think AD Larry Lyons was a pretty good man and a good AD, just not very good one in that he had a few notable misses in his time. But I think he is deserving of a respectful send off. During his time, and while not all because of him, he did as Asst AD and AD oversee the most successful football era in ISU history. If you add up the pluses and minuses, I think he did a pretty good job overall.

And I do not think he meant anything disrespectful, much less malicious, with his Redbird Lives Matter comment .. it was just not thought thru at all, and did come off as disrespectful to BLM. Bottom line, no group in America gets to borrow from the Black Lives Matter platform/name, as if they've experienced what blacks have experiences in the 400 year history of our country ... no group has, not hispanics, not the Japanese, not the Muslims of late, not even women though they would have a decent argumen in some respects. But especially right now more than ever, as we have regressed 50+ years from progress made in black/white relations.

But I think Larry Lyons thought it was a simple positive spin speaking to all of his athletes, many of which are black in certain sports .. an unfortunate miscalculation on his part. So I hope the article was factual in that he reportedly had told the university this past spring that he was planning to retire. He deserves to leave on good terms .. even if he reneged on MY IPF !!!! = D

As we head into a new decade in the 2020's, just think about heading into 2010 ... would anyone have guessed we would have the aggregate results we did ?? And at same time keep all other sports at a very high level athletically and academically ... with unfortunate exception being men's basketball ... they need to get that one back on right track.

Anyway, he seemed like a good man who did more good than otherwise and presided over the most successful decade of ISU football in history, plus all the other sports accomplishments .... I wish him well !!

Last edited:

MadBird

This is sort of where I am. Especially the BLM part, he was "tone deaf", but surely isn't a racist. I think. Refresh my memory, why did we have him tho - was it when Zenger left and they hired him w/o doing a search for a new guy? Am I forgetting a change somewhere?

Bender

This is sort of where I am. Especially the BLM part, he was "tone deaf", but surely isn't a racist. I think. Refresh my memory, why did we have him tho - was it when Zenger left and they hired him w/o doing a search for a new guy? Am I forgetting a change somewhere?

Friedman was hired from Louisville in May 2011 but resigned in June 2013 saying the job wasn't a right fit. Lyons was named his replacement.

Metamoron

If I remember right, it was a very quick response from Pres Bowman very late in his career without a search.

fourthandshort

If I remember right, it was a very quick response from Pres Bowman very late in his career without a search.
Yes, but I assumed Lyons was option B to Friedman choice .. so they didn't feel another search was needed maybe.

Not sure who is responsible for the current lilly white sports admin staff, but they need to take a hard look at their hiring practices. It's fine to say, you hire the best person, but it is equally covenient ... and that never served blacks, women, and other groupss who have been historically and very obviously descriminated against.

Total Red

Staff member
But I think he is deserving of a respectful send off. During his time, and while not all because of him, he did as Asst AD and AD oversee the most successful football era in ISU history. If you add up the pluses and minuses, I think he did a pretty good job overall.

We should thank Larry Lyons for his many years of service but I will note that is was Sheahon Zenger that hired Coach Spack. If any AD can claim credit for the 2014-15 run to the National Championship game it would be him.

StLRedbird

I believe we were told - based on his success at Louisville - that Friedman would supercharge our fundraising. Then he left quickly and we were told that Lyons was doing the heavy lifting with the big donors anyway. He was described as a “money” guy. When he hired his son (son in law?) we looked the other way at obvious nepotism.

I don’t know that I would call his tenure successful. I’m pleased to hear he’s leaving because I think we can do better.

Bird Friend

I believe we were told - based on his success at Louisville - that Friedman would supercharge our fundraising. Then he left quickly and we were told that Lyons was doing the heavy lifting with the big donors anyway. He was described as a “money” guy. When he hired his son (son in law?) we looked the other way at obvious nepotism.

I don’t know that I would call his tenure successful. I’m pleased to hear he’s leaving because I think we can do better.
Son and Daughter-in-law. And if someone told you Lyons was a money guy, they didn't know Larry. He was the compliance guy.

MadBird

He's got a degree in accounting so there's a bean counter in there somewhere.;)

Here's the press release from when he was named interim AD after Zenger left. Says he was associate AD for business operations.

Lyons Named Interim Director of Athletics - Illinois State University Athletics
Lyons, who is in his 24th year at Illinois State, is currently working in the athletics department as executive associate athletics director. He will continue to oversee the business operations while serving as the interim director of athletics.

Bird Friend

He's got a degree in accounting so there's a bean counter in there somewhere.;)
Yeah. When I hear "money guy" in relation to college athletics, I assume we're talking fundraising ability, not bean counter. I know he could count, but not necessarily add.

fourthandshort

I happen to agree completely with your post.

FYI, on my original post ... i prefaced it by saying he had a few notable misses. I just also believe he did enough to deserve a respectable send off.

But as you said, we should be able to do better with our next hire. Need somelne who knows how to work and grow the donor base, and has a vision for ISU sports. And then can execute on that vision and stand by your commitments.

StLRedbird

I happen to agree completely with your post.

FYI, on my original post ... i prefaced it by saying he had a few notable misses. I just also believe he did enough to deserve a respectable send off.

But as you said, we should be able to do better with our next hire. Need somelne who knows how to work and grow the donor base, and has a vision for ISU sports. And then can execute on that vision and stand by your commitments.
Thanks, fourth. I'm many things, but troll isn't one of them. That's my honest recollection of the early 2010s.

The bottom line for me is that we didn't get the IPF built despite an acknowledged need. Lyons could not put a gun to donors heads, so maybe affording that facility is out of our reach. All I know is that it didn't get done and is not on the cusp of being done.

TheTruth

Larry is/was a great guy but was never right for the position. He had no vision, no energy and really no desire for this dept to improve, hence his fundraising (such as it was) was never going to amount to much. Hopefully, Illinois State goes outside to find their next hire and brings in someone who can change the culture of mediocrity in this dept and stop those in Hovey Hall treating it as an afterthought.

CaliRdBrd

Yes, but I assumed Lyons was option B to Friedman choice .. so they didn't feel another search was needed maybe.

Not sure who is responsible for the current lilly white sports admin staff, but they need to take a hard look at their hiring practices. It's fine to say, you hire the best person, but it is equally covenient ... and that never served blacks, women, and other groupss who have been historically and very obviously descriminated against.
Ridiculous.

Top Bottom