TreRoberson4Heisman

James Robinson has special talent. Do we believe has better ON-FIELD skill than Coprich?

I think JR will be a 2nd or 3rd round pick. MC would have if he wasn’t a bonehead off the field.

fourthandshort

eh ... Coprich was a little faster I think. Robinson is getting there .. not ready to concede that one just yet.

Chi-bird

Love Robinson, and he can do some things better than Coprich, but Coprich has some things on him as well. Robinson has more power, but isn't quite as shifty and doesn't have quite the top-end speed. Coprich hit the hole harder, but Robinson seems to allow plays to develop more/is patient.

TIMMY

So comparing college players to great pro players is kinda stupid. BUT. Stylistically speaking Robinson never dies easy.

fourthandshort

Chi-bird said:
Love Robinson, and he can do some things better than Coprich, but Coprich has some things on him as well. Robinson has more power, but isn't quite as shifty and doesn't have quite the top-end speed. Coprich hit the hole harder, but Robinson seems to allow plays to develop more/is patient.

good synopsis of the 2 stud RBs ... and agreed. But we don't have to choose between them .. we got both !!!!!

but we are also lucky to have #21 Smith .. and he looks better this year than last Hard to find RBs at this level with his combination of power and speed .. and I'll say it again until someone agrees (or disagrees) ... his quicks are a little better this year.

Chi-bird

fourthandshort said:
Chi-bird said:

good synopsis of the 2 stud RBs ... and agreed. But we don't have to choose between them .. we got both !!!!!

but we are also lucky to have #21 Smith .. and he looks better this year than last Hard to find RBs at this level with his combination of power and speed .. and I'll say it again until someone agrees (or disagrees) ... his quicks are a little better this year.

Not wanting to speak to soo,n, but I'm not sure we've seen better backs here than these two. Toby Davis comes to mind, but that was a different era. Cason obviously was successful, but I remember him more for his kick returns than what he did on offense. Am I missing someone?.

Virginia Redbird

Comparing players is fun for discussion and all the "this guy is better than that guy" stuff is part of fan's argument and banter. But at the end of the day, I would be a pretty happy camper with either Coprich or Robinson on my team. Any full comparison probably has to wait until Robinson is finished with his college career though.

ISUBU

The threesome of Aveion Cason, Willie Watts and Walter James was a talented group in the late 90s. Watts had a great career as a Redbird.

ISUBU

The threesome of Aveion Cason, Willie Watts and Walter James was a talented group in the late 90s. Watts had a great career as a Redbird.

JHBird

Coprich definitely had more speed, but Robinson isn't exactly slow. I wonder how many 40+ yard gains Robinson has over the last few years? Seems like a bunch. Robinson has some deception to his speed, probably because he's so big. Coprich would have been a perfect compliment to either one of our current big backs. A real 'Thunder and Lightning' combo versus 'Thunder and more Thunder', if you know what I mean.

DannyCooksey

ISUBU said:

Agreed. That was a great trio. Cason was lightning fast. James had power and balance. Watts was a combination of the two. Great players

James Robinson is a very good player. Only going to improve. Love him and Markel

Atrey22

Chi-bird said:
Not wanting to speak to soo,n, but I'm not sure we've seen better backs here than these two. Toby Davis comes to mind, but that was a different era. Cason obviously was successful, but I remember him more for his kick returns than what he did on offense. Am I missing someone?.

When I was at ISU in the early 70's we had Ron Bell who was an outstanding back- but our team was only average.

Love Robinson & our current stable of running backs- and we ARE going to get better! Redbirds Rising!

Virginia Redbird

Atrey22 said:
Chi-bird said:

When I was at ISU in the early 70's we had Ron Bell who was an outstanding back- but our team was only average.

Love Robinson & our current stable of running backs- and we ARE going to get better! Redbirds Rising!

I was at ISU in the early 70's as well and remember Bell. He was drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers as I recall but did not make the team. He was a solid running back at the time.

fourthandshort

going to be fun playing NDSU this year .. measuring stick game for our offense for sure .. they have 3 real good RBs as well: Anderson, Dunn, and Brooks .. all 3 could start on many of the better FCS teams. Plus their QB Stick can run.

jbird

ISUBU said:

I might be mistaken, but I think that in the early 1980s Virgil Winters and Kevin Jones were both over 1,000 yards in the same season.

fourthandshort

Best thing Spack can do is divy up those carriers, so both have fresh legs and are less banged up come playoff. This is same thing NDSU does every year ... bring at least 2 RBs along at same time. Both will benefit when we get to playoffs.

TIMMY

fourthandshort said:
Best thing Spack can do is divy up those carriers, so both have fresh legs and are less banged up come playoff. This is same thing NDSU does every year ... bring at least 2 RBs along at same time. Both will benefit when we get to playoffs.
Agree. RB is the best place to divvy up time. They take a beating. Great we are 3 deep. I also wouldn't mind seeing Hatfield back there a little. I can think of some creative ways of using him.

JHBird

TIMMY said:
fourthandshort said:
Agree. RB is the best place to divvy up time. They take a beating. Great we are 3 deep. I also wouldn't mind seeing Hatfield back there a little. I can think of some creative ways of using him.

He seems like a perfect third down back to me. Being an ex-QB, I'm sure he has good hands. I didn't think we'd see that much of him this year, but I was wrong. We got three big backs, so we need somebody like Hatfield.

Sanantoniobird

JHBird said:
TIMMY said:
fourthandshort said:

He seems like a perfect third down back to me. Being an ex-QB, I'm sure he has good hands. I didn't think we'd see that much of him this year, but I was wrong. We got three big backs, so we need somebody like Hatfield.
We have gone 5 deep: Kielbasa and Hatfield round out the 4 and 5. Would have like to have seen them a tad more in EIU game.

Sanantoniobird

JHBird said:
Coprich definitely had more speed, but Robinson isn't exactly slow. I wonder how many 40+ yard gains Robinson has over the last few years? Seems like a bunch. Robinson has some deception to his speed, probably because he's so big. Coprich would have been a perfect compliment to either one of our current big backs. A real 'Thunder and Lightning' combo versus 'Thunder and more Thunder', if you know what I mean.

I find it hard to compare the two. Robinson is a great back, and glad we have him. Though, Coprich's overall toughness will be hard to match. He averaged 24 carries (6ypc) a game in 2014 and 2015. And he was dangerous every time he touched the ball. That's what made Little Bull great, no one is carrying the ball that much because of our stable.

Top Bottom