'22-'23 Roster

Scipio

Are Simpkins twins still committed to Redbirds? Haven’t seen or heard anything on them recently.

DWRedbird

Are Simpkins twins still committed to Redbirds? Haven’t seen or heard anything on them recently.

I think last we heard they had verballed but haven't signed yet, so they could still open their recruitment up again or we could still fill those scholarships how Pedon wants.

DaveBird10

I asked Benson on twitter on Friday and his response was waiting to hear back from their coach. Roster now has 4 guards in Freeman, Sandage, Poindexter and Burford. If the Simpkins twins sign we'd have half our roster at guards. They may be looking for other opportunities now. Benson write-up said we have 4 scholarships but with each day we don't get anything from them and another guard coming in, I am beginning to wonder about the twins.

Adunk33

Upon the Burford signing, Kendall Lewis posted a photo on IG in the media room at RBA with him, Sissoko, Kotov, Liam, Stadleman, Burford and Jayden Johnson (who is currently in the portal, maybe coming back?). I believe keeping Kendall and Liam around is good for the program, for sure. Notably missing is Freeman. I've heard he's not in town and recently spent some time in Georgia.

Regarding the twins, as of April 9, the Twins were still coming. However, as I believe I posted in another thread, they are pretty active on social media. Typically kids that active look forward to the pageantry of signing day. From what I've seen, they don't have a date or anything set for that. I don't know much about them but they seem like good kids. Unless I hear otherwise, I'm going to assume Pedon is working to fill four scholarships.

2022-23 Roster as it stands 4/18.
1. Freeman (g)
2. McChesney (f)
3. Lewis (f)
4. Sissoko (f)
5. Kotov (f)
6. Schmitt (g)
7. Sandage (g)
8. Poindexter (g)
9. Burford (g)
Samuels WO (g)
Stadelman WO (g)
Miller WO (g)

So, if Pedon is only working with two, they have to be targeting size in the forward position. If he has four, there is more flexibility and still needs to add size but it could be a couple forwards, a wing, and a guard (keeping in mind that three of the current guards are WO).

I’d have to imagine Freeman, Kotov, and Sissoko will see more playing time elsewhere. Surprised they haven’t entered the portal yet to at least see their options. As far as the Simpkins twins, from the clips I’ve seen of them on Twitter I actually came away impressed with their gameplay. I’m guessing they are still adamant about playing together and finding schools that will offer that may he hard to come by. Given the new coach, I’d be surprised if they ended up coming to play here. Following the old interest/contact gauge…nobody from the current staff follows them on the old Twitter. Not sure if that says anything.

MadBird

I’d have to imagine Freeman, Kotov, and Sissoko will see more playing time elsewhere. Surprised they haven’t entered the portal yet to at least see their options. As far as the Simpkins twins, from the clips I’ve seen of them on Twitter I actually came away impressed with their gameplay. I’m guessing they are still adamant about playing together and finding schools that will offer that may he hard to come by. Given the new coach, I’d be surprised if they ended up coming to play here. Following the old interest/contact gauge…nobody from the current staff follows them on the old Twitter. Not sure if that says anything.
I see a 4 guard "team" with Freeman and Burford at PG and Pointdexter and Sandage at SG. Freeman and Burford seem to me to have similar games - PG's with the ability to score - so I could see them being a good team running the same offense. I like Freeman, I know the TO's have frustrated many people here. Maybe I was swayed by being at the Bucknell game when he scored 30+ and was key in OT.

I always thought Sissoko had more to show, maybe he got his chances and didn't take advantage, maybe he didn't earn his chances last year, but I thought he was fairly productive in 20-21 - 4 ppg and 3 rpg with 13 starts, with only 16 minutes per game. Last year less than 6 minutes per game. Those #'s are similar to Liam's last year and a little better than Schmitt's. Could see him helping more with a new coach and new offense, etc., fresh start.

Kotov is a mystery to me, he looks coordinated, seems to run well, but hasn't showed much. I'd like to think there's some potential there, but he's getting past the time for the light bulb to go on.

AgGrad88

I would prefer Chatman to Schmidt on the roster in terms of overall production potential.
Season 9 Wow GIF by The Office

Bdub777

Does anybody know where Rob Johnson is headed? Wonder if the twins would follow him…

Adunk33

Does anybody know where Rob Johnson is headed? Wonder if the twins would follow him…
If I had to guess based on social media activity, I'd say its very possible he heads back to TSF. I'm not sure one season on a struggling MM bench will open the door for other D1 assistant jobs. I think he'll have to work his way in through a DOBO kind of job. He clearly has connections and does a nice job building relationships. He'll be a valuable asset somewhere. I wish him well.

DWRedbird

Upon the Burford signing, Kendall Lewis posted a photo on IG in the media room at RBA with him, Sissoko, Kotov, Liam, Stadleman, Burford and Jayden Johnson (who is currently in the portal, maybe coming back?). I believe keeping Kendall and Liam around is good for the program, for sure. Notably missing is Freeman. I've heard he's not in town and recently spent some time in Georgia.

Regarding the twins, as of April 9, the Twins were still coming. However, as I believe I posted in another thread, they are pretty active on social media. Typically kids that active look forward to the pageantry of signing day. From what I've seen, they don't have a date or anything set for that. I don't know much about them but they seem like good kids. Unless I hear otherwise, I'm going to assume Pedon is working to fill four scholarships.

2022-23 Roster as it stands 4/18.
1. Freeman (g)
2. McChesney (f)
3. Lewis (f)
4. Sissoko (f)
5. Kotov (f)
6. Schmitt (g)
7. Sandage (g)
8. Poindexter (g)
9. Burford (g)
Samuels WO (g)
Stadelman WO (g)
Miller WO (g)

So, if Pedon is only working with two, they have to be targeting size in the forward position. If he has four, there is more flexibility and still needs to add size but it could be a couple forwards, a wing, and a guard (keeping in mind that three of the current guards are WO).

Were I to hazard a guess, based on what we have on the roster and what style Pedon has said he wants to play, I'd guess if we are only working with 2 scholarships, we are likely looking for a big wing (like Nick Martinelli) and a 5 or big 4 that can play in the post. We truly only have one low post player on the roster now (depending on what Kotov can do offensively) and unless we are going to force McChesny/Lewis/Sissoko down on the block, we still need another big.

If we have 4, I agree everything is on the board.

cubird

Lewis plays hard and has a scar under his right eye that he got in the second half of the season.

crazzymark

We'll find out how patient some of you people are, when they have 5 or maybe six wins halfway through the season this year and due to injuries walk on to be starting. And it will take a couple years for them to be good or at least adequate for lower tier of the league it will take a long time. Hopefully we'll be in a bigger conference by then.

Top Bottom