2017 - Trace Young, 6-8/180, SF, Hartford, KY

Bird Friend

2017 - Trace Young, 6-8/180, SF, Hartford, KY
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/trace-young

Source

Just to bring over some info from the other board. Trace is still in contact with ISU and is making his decision after this AAU live period ends. I would list his as more of a 3 than a stretch 4. Not as many post moves but scores the ball well. He'd be a rental if signed.

Bird Friend

Source said:
Just to bring over some info from the other board. Trace is still in contact with ISU and is making his decision after this AAU live period ends. I would list his as more of a 3 than a stretch 4. Not as many post moves but scores the ball well. He'd be a rental if signed.
If he can rent us a dance, I'd be fine with that.

DWRedbird

Source said:

Would he be a 1 year rental or a 3 year rental?

MPE773

DWRedbird said:
Source said:

Depends on how good he is and his experience here.

ChiRedbirdfan

MPE773 said:
DWRedbird said:
Source said:

Depends on how good he is and his experience here.

YEAR rental? I do not recall another recruit holding out for so long and so disinterested in the offers received. He seems more like a semester to semester rental than a year rental.

Source

Like others have said, it depends what he does here if he comes. If he averages somewhere in the range of 8 and 5, gone. However, I'm not sure he would want to sit out a year for the transfer. Let's wait to see if he comes back to campus.

JHBird

Source said:

I didn't know what Trace was waiting for (I'm pretty ignorant on the basketball recruiting schedules). So does that mean he'll probably decid at the end of this month? I think the last evaluation period ends July 26th... Oh well, it would be nice to get him. If we get him I bet he wins the ISU slam dunk contest!

Source

TIMMY said:
This team is a big guy short. Maybe 2.
So between the ears. Is this guy a Lofton or Fayne?

Man. Tough question. Obviously, holding out through the entire summer AAU live period when he could be on campus working with a D1 team says to me he wants to be in a better place than he currently has access to. So, I guess given those two polar opposites, more like Lofton in that aspect. Lofton played in ProAm's instead of coming to campus with everyone else. However, Young is a MUCH better teammate than Lofton. He plays with attitude. Who's in-between Lofton and Fayne, but more leaning towards the Lofton side? I would say that. Lloyd Phillips maybe?

TIMMY

Source said:
TIMMY said:
This team is a big guy short. Maybe 2.
So between the ears. Is this guy a Lofton or Fayne?

Man. Tough question. Obviously, holding out through the entire summer AAU live period when he could be on campus working with a D1 team says to me he wants to be in a better place than he currently has access to. So, I guess given those two polar opposites, more like Lofton in that aspect. Lofton played in ProAm's instead of coming to campus with everyone else. However, Young is a MUCH better teammate than Lofton. He plays with attitude. Who's in-between Lofton and Fayne, but more leaning towards the Lofton side? I would say that. Lloyd Phillips maybe?
It's really the attitude thing that concerns me. Lofton was a poison that set the program back. If he's a decent enough kid we need size. Even if it's a rental.

V Boy

Hard for me to think we will have any players who play here for 4 years AND who are all-conference players anymore. PLee did it, but the nature of college basketball and all these kids and handlers constantly looking to upgrade provides some pretty serious headwinds for a school like Illinois State.

I think if you think you can get 2-3 years from a strong player then it's worth it to take on a little bit of risk. If you think the kid is probably only going to be here for 1 year before he bolts for greener pastures, then I don't think it makes sense to take on any risk unless the you know you are going to get a ton of production.

Muller knows he can't just rent guys or there will basically be no program. And you can see his awareness of that with the mix of players on the roster. Some local kids who will probably be here 3-4 years.....and non-local kids who might have a lot more upside but may only be here 2 years.

If Trace Young can give us 2-3 years and has the potential to be all-Valley by 2nd year then I think it's probably worth a shot. Otherwise, let's move on.

Source

Trace's attitude that he plays with is different than Lofton. He is more of a trash talker to the other team vs a cancer to his own. This can easily be seen by watching any highlight tape. He stares down the defender after a dunk or a big shot every time. Young isn't someone who will complain if he doesn't touch the ball every time down the court, but might get restless if there is several possessions in a row without him getting a touch. He really wouldn't have to worry about that here because I would say on 90% of our offensive possessions every player (except David) touches the ball within the flow of the offense.

Every time he steps on the court Trace thinks he is the best player out there, and he wants you to think that too. There is a fine line between arrogance and confidence. Like many of you, we can trust Muller learned from the Lofton situation about taking risks on players like this.

Baltimore Bird

It is tough being an upper mid-major especially the way Muller can recruit. He is not recruiting players who are willing to settle. We get the benefit of having them on our team, but the other side of that is they are looking to better themselves. Once we start settling for players (and I hope we don't), more will stay. I don't like players leaving, but I do like have more talented players. It goes with the landscape in college basketball right now.

If Young will come....GET HIM!!

BIRDFANATIC78

Baltimore Bird said:
It is tough being an upper mid-major especially the way Muller can recruit. He is not recruiting players who are willing to settle. We get the benefit of having them on our team, but the other side of that is they are looking to better themselves. Once we start settling for players (and I hope we don't), more will stay. I don't like players leaving, but I do like have more talented players. It goes with the landscape in college basketball right now.

Yes, agree with this sentiment. Building the program is not for the timid.

DannyCooksey

Baltimore Bird said:

Couldn't agree more. Great post.

Baltimore Bird

OK, so my first post got a "Great Post" response. Like Costanza, I should walk out on a high note and never post again!

DannyCooksey

Baltimore Bird said:
OK, so my first post got a "Great Post" response. Like Costanza, I should walk out on a high note and never post again!

good point :D

But keep in mind I have very low standards. :lol:

Bird Friend

Baltimore Bird said:
And remember, sometime in the future, when someone says you should leave this board, you said it first. ;)

Top Bottom