NFL Draft

Total Red

Staff member
The NFL Draft is coming up April 25-27. Does Illinois State have any draftable players. No. Cam Grandy is our best bet. I could see him getting a free agent contract. Grandy has a good frame and great hands. I'm not sure about his strength or speed but I wish the NFL would cool it on the measurables and just put people on the field and see how they play. Sometimes they can't see the forest through the trees.

I'd say we have two others that are in the conversation but that's about it. Zack Annexstad and Josh Dinga could get FA contracts, but I wouldn't count on it. I'm hoping Annexstad gets one. I'm still grateful for his decision to transfer here and get us back to a multi-dimensional offense. Annexstad is staying optimistic about his chances saying that he feels good about the things he was able to put on film here. I agree. Zack was an accurate passer and he also showed that he can escape the pocket and eat up some serious yardage if challenged to tuck and run.

I'm going to preempt fourthandshort on the next part. I predict that fs is reading this and getting ready to post that Zack doesn't have NFL arm strength. If so, I disagree. It's true that we didn't throw deep very much in '23. The team lacked a deep threat and the offense was trained to focus on avoiding turnovers. That part of the offense was a success, and it was underappreciated. The Redbirds (mostly Annexstad) threw the ball 390 times with just 6 INTs. Our opponents threw the ball 310 times with 11 INTs. But back to arm strength. Annexstad did throw some deep balls. When he missed he usually OVERTHREW those passes. The defender was typically a half step behind the receiver. By throwing the ball out in front, Zack was putting the ball where his guy would catch it or nobody would. An NFL team could do worse than have Zack Annexstad as a QB on their roster but it probably won't happen.

Thanks to Zack and Josh Dinga for some great memories.
Cam - surprise me like JRob. Make a team as a FA and wind up the starter.

Speaking of JRob and Zeke V. How healthy are they? Will they make a team this year? JRob has shown what he can do when healthy and even 85%. I'd like Zeke to get a chance to show what he can do.

crazzymark

Zeke is one of the reasons the Fins let go of van ginkle they spoke about it in Miami Dolphins sports talk show awhile back. Cam should be drafted and dinga fa signing.

MadBird

Reggie Redbird

"They" have been saying its a "weak" draft on Day 3, so maybe Cam will get drafted after all - let's say its "more competitive" instead of weaker. ;)

We're becoming TE U!
Don’t forget Tanner Taula is still with the Bucs:

Buccaneers' Tanner Taula: Gets new deal​

Rotowire JAN 23, 2024
Taula signed a reserve/future contract with the Buccaneers on Tuesday, Scott Smith of the team's official site reports.
Taula linked up with Tampa Bay as an undrafted free agent out of Illinois State, before he ultimately earned a role on the team's practice squad. The 25-year-old never found his way to the active roster during the season though, but he'll have another opportunity to do so next season.

MadBird

Don’t forget Tanner Taula is still with the Bucs:

Buccaneers' Tanner Taula: Gets new deal​

Rotowire JAN 23, 2024
Taula signed a reserve/future contract with the Buccaneers on Tuesday, Scott Smith of the team's official site reports.
Taula linked up with Tampa Bay as an undrafted free agent out of Illinois State, before he ultimately earned a role on the team's practice squad. The 25-year-old never found his way to the active roster during the season though, but he'll have another opportunity to do so next season.
I did not forget! He was in my "list". Hopefully, we see more from him this coming year!

fourthandshort

"They" have been saying its a "weak" draft on Day 3, so maybe Cam will get drafted after all - let's say its "more competitive" instead of weaker. ;)

We're becoming TE U!
Lot of TE skills, but kind of lumbers as pass catching TEs go. His speed was enough for FCS, but not sure about next level. Jut verfied below site has him at a 4.9 forty, which is pretty slow by comparison to NFL combine times. Though his 20 split, 3 cone, and 20 shuttle are within the lower end of range ... so not good, but only slightly less than average. Burst in small space is more important than breakway speed for a TE, which is probably why he fared so well at ISU .. that and an OC/QB who like throwing to TEs. And we know he can catch and block. That said, he will have to find a real good fit IMO and probably as a PWO. Back up TEs are also used for special teams, and his speed will hurt him there.

oops ... PWO = UDFA

Last edited:

fourthandshort

Zeke is one of the reasons the Fins let go of van ginkle they spoke about it in Miami Dolphins sports talk show awhile back. Cam should be drafted and dinga fa signing.
Vandenberg got injured last year in July .. it was a knee and it ended his seasin. So aside from concern that he fully recovered, I'm worried he hasn't had time to develop/progress. Tough to do that when youre rehabbing. I see very little info on him since his injury. Though he is listed as 3rd string at Left OLB on their depth chart. No mention of injury rehab status.

I hope he recovered and gets a full shot this offseason.

DaveBird10

FYI to anyone watching the NFL draft this weekend for something to keep in mind. There are only 58 underclassman who declared for the draft. It appears more and more kids are staying in school for NIL $$, thus not as much spots for people to transfer up/down for in the transfer portal.

fourthandshort

FYI to anyone watching the NFL draft this weekend for something to keep in mind. There are only 58 underclassman who declared for the draft. It appears more and more kids are staying in school for NIL $$, thus not as much spots for people to transfer up/down for in the transfer portal.
that's one way to do this ....

stayinschool.gif

Bird Friend

Income guarantee is better while in college now . . . that just sounds wrong . . .

Total Red

Staff member

fourthandshort

Since the thread is broadly titled NFL Draft, and it is the offseason .... I will opine on my Bears and hope Quinn doesn't bounce this post ???

Is it just me, or does it suddenly feel like the Bears will have a very explosive offense at some point sooner than later ?? Maybe even week 1.

We'll see if Caleb Williams is ready day 1 or not ... but how will other teams guard our skill guys ? Meaning, someone will be open most plays.

- WR DJ Moore .. 90 catch, 1200 yd guy, makes plays all over the field .. just got in 2023 trade. Ran a 4.42 forty at combine.
- WR Keenan Allen .. 100+ catch, 1200 yd guy ... 32 yrs old, but coming off his most productive year, just got in 2024 trade. Another Jerry Rice ... ran a 4.7 forty 10 years ago.
- WR Rome Odunze .. rookie, college AA, 90 catch, 1,600 yd guy, who ran a 4.45 forty .. just drafted. He was the guy every scouted and doubled with safety help. Not anymore with Moore and Allen carrying the load.

- WR/Return guy .. Velus Jones ... not producing yet at receiver, but a blazing fats utility guy who ran a 4.31 forty official at combine. Bears drafted in 2022.

- TE Cole Kmet .. up to 70 catch, 700 yd guy, drafted in 2020
- TE Gerald Everette .. 50 catch, 500 yd guy just got in 2024 trade

- RB D'Andre Swift ... 2023 pro bowler 1,000 yd rusher for Eagles, but was a dual threat pass-catching RB with Lions .. 50-60 catch, 500+ rec yards + 500+ rush yards guy. Ran a 4.46 forty and considered a very fast explosive RB. Just obtained from Eagles
- RB Kahlil Herbert ... back up is 600 yd guy getting close to 5 ypc. Not an every play guy but nice RB piece for sure.
- RB Roschon Johnson ... impressed at times last year. Streaky explosive guy.

Plus Bears picked up several solid OL to shore up depth chart. They were 2nd in entire NFL in Rushing yds last year at 2,399 .. Fields was only 650 of that. They were 26th in pass yards. And while we lose a bit in run dual threat with Williams vs Fields .. we gain a whole lot in Williams legit pass threat.

Bears were 5th in rushing 1st downs, and 31st in pass 1st downs. Overall were 26th.

Defense was very tough, especially considering how inconsistent our offense was. It will only get better if they are on the field less.

With the way Bears finished year .. I'm thinking this years expectations start at about 10-7. The open at home against 2-15 Panthers, then on road against 4-13 Cardinals .. and a special shout to those Panthers .. thanks for #1 pick !!!!

Last edited:

MadBird

Pretty much agree, altho I never did see exactly what the "geniuses" saw with Caleb - I made a point of watching some USC games last year, maybe 3-4 or something, and he looked pretty ordinary to me most of the time. Maybe I just turned away because they were losing. But you know, he won the Heisman and everyone seems sold on him, all the experts and all, so I'm optimistic he's gonna give us at least a few years of decent QB play. What do I know? All the other offensive weapons are there to behold.

Still don't get why they drafted a project OT from Yale in Round 3. Would have much preferred a defensive player there.

I'm in Minnesota this week and I can tell you they are absolutely giddy about their haul. McCarthy and the D lineman, the Vikes are back, blah blah blah!

Manchester Matt

Pretty much agree, altho I never did see exactly what the "geniuses" saw with Caleb - I made a point of watching some USC games last year, maybe 3-4 or something, and he looked pretty ordinary to me most of the time. Maybe I just turned away because they were losing. But you know, he won the Heisman and everyone seems sold on him, all the experts and all, so I'm optimistic he's gonna give us at least a few years of decent QB play. What do I know? All the other offensive weapons are there to behold.

Still don't get why they drafted a project OT from Yale in Round 3. Would have much preferred a defensive player there.

I'm in Minnesota this week and I can tell you they are absolutely giddy about their haul. McCarthy and the D lineman, the Vikes are back, blah blah blah!
What defensive player would have been an instant contributor there that fits the system?

I think they take Trice if he’s there, but he went the pick before.

Saban called Kiran the “sleeper of the draft.”

Nick’s a pretty smart dude, so I’m good with that comment.

And what does it matter that he went to Yale? not like the Bears haven’t had a player work out from Yale before.

With this year’s draft picks, the Bears have landed:

Williams
Odunze
Montez (trade)
Amegadjie
Allen (trade)
122 (today)
Ryan Bates (trade)

Yeah, I think I’m good with what Poles is doing.

Manchester Matt

Since the thread is broadly titled NFL Draft, and it is the offseason .... I will opine on my Bears and hope Quinn doesn't bounce this post ???

Is it just me, or does it suddenly feel like the Bears will have a very explosive offense at some point sooner than later ?? Maybe even week 1.

We'll see if Caleb Williams is ready day 1 or not ... but how will other teams guard our skill guys ? Meaning, someone will be open most plays.

- WR DJ Moore .. 90 catch, 1200 yd guy, makes plays all over the field .. just got in 2023 trade. Ran a 4.42 forty at combine.
- WR Keenan Allen .. 100+ catch, 1200 yd guy ... 32 yrs old, but coming off his most productive year, just got in 2024 trade. Another Jerry Rice ... ran a 4.7 forty 10 years ago.
- WR Rome Odunze .. rookie, college AA, 90 catch, 1,600 yd guy, who ran a 4.45 forty .. just drafted. He was the guy every scouted and doubled with safety help. Not anymore with Moore and Allen carrying the load.

- WR/Return guy .. Velus Jones ... not producing yet at receiver, but a blazing fats utility guy who ran a 4.31 forty official at combine. Bears drafted in 2022.

- TE Cole Kmet .. up to 70 catch, 700 yd guy, drafted in 2020
- TE Gerald Everette .. 50 catch, 500 yd guy just got in 2024 trade

- RB D'Andre Swift ... 2023 pro bowler 1,000 yd rusher for Eagles, but was a dual threat pass-catching RB with Lions .. 50-60 catch, 500+ rec yards + 500+ rush yards guy. Ran a 4.46 forty and considered a very fast explosive RB. Just obtained from Eagles
- RB Kahlil Herbert ... back up is 600 yd guy getting close to 5 ypc. Not an every play guy but nice RB piece for sure.
- RB Roschon Johnson ... impressed at times last year. Streaky explosive guy.

Plus Bears picked up several solid OL to shore up depth chart. They were 2nd in entire NFL in Rushing yds last year at 2,399 .. Fields was only 650 of that. They were 26th in pass yards. And while we lose a bit in run dual threat with Williams vs Fields .. we gain a whole lot in Williams legit pass threat.

Bears were 5th in rushing 1st downs, and 31st in pass 1st downs. Overall were 26th.

Defense was very tough, especially considering how inconsistent our offense was. It will only get better if they are on the field less.

With the way Bears finished year .. I'm thinking this years expectations start at about 10-7. The open at home against 2-15 Panthers, then on road against 4-13 Cardinals .. and a special shout to those Panthers .. thanks for #1 pick !!!!
Poles has completely transformed this roster from where it was when Pace was fired. It’s a very exciting time.

Still some holes to fill, but this wasn’t going to happen overnight. They have some draft ammunition next year where they can easily do what they did with adding Sweat during the season or attack the draft for defensive linemen.

Also, the schedule release happen in May. Not sure where you saw they were opening with Carolina. Have a hunch it will be one of the division foes like last year.

fourthandshort

I see "it" in Caleb Williams .. but do worry some about the fall off. Was it all the pieces around him ... or something else ? If it was all the pieces around him, kudos for him coming back after Heissman year ... but looks like a mistake in hindsight ... except he still went #1. There are a lot of scouts who not only think he is the #1, but it isn't close at this point. Not to say, someone else won't surprise ... but as of know, there is decent consensus, it isn't close per most.

We shall see. All I know is I like Fields to a point .. that point was he never seemed to find the 1st read receivers open very often. They couldn't have been that bad ... he's just not a drop back and throw it guy, which makes me think he isn't seeing it or just has other ideas about playmaking.

fourthandshort

Poles has completely transformed this roster from where it was when Pace was fired. It’s a very exciting time.

Still some holes to fill, but this wasn’t going to happen overnight. They have some draft ammunition next year where they can easily do what they did with adding Sweat during the season or attack the draft for defensive linemen.

Also, the schedule release happen in May. Not sure where you saw they were opening with Carolina. Have a hunch it will be one of the division foes like last year.
Ok, so now my head is spinning on their schedule ... I 1000% found one showing they open with Carolina at home then Cardinals on road ... which they in fact do have those 2 games slated. But now I can't find the schedule.

Remember this post .... maybe NFL accidentally put something out there, I happened to catch it, and then they took it back. I know what I saw because it also included the 1 preseason game before these 2, plus all the others after it.

So if that pans out .... a simply bow of unworthiness will suffice from you all.

MadBird

What defensive player would have been an instant contributor there that fits the system?

I think they take Trice if he’s there, but he went the pick before.

Saban called Kiran the “sleeper of the draft.”

Nick’s a pretty smart dude, so I’m good with that comment.

And what does it matter that he went to Yale? not like the Bears haven’t had a player work out from Yale before.

With this year’s draft picks, the Bears have landed:

Williams
Odunze
Montez (trade)
Amegadjie
Allen (trade)
122 (today)
Ryan Bates (trade)

Yeah, I think I’m good with what Poles is doing.
I'm not assuming the guy from Yale is a "bad" pick, just would've preferred to see a D player there - safety, edge, fat guy in the middle, whatever. Kinda doubt either would be an "instant contributor". Yale is non-schollie FCS, so not what I would assume is a "plug and play" guy. Hope I'm wrong. Bears seem to now have a huge collection of "guys" in the interior line, maybe this guy can get to the front of the line.

I have no problem at all with Mr. Poles. He's doing great work so far.

Top Bottom