Illinois State to the MAC?

StLRedbird

I’d vote yes for this. I’d greatly prefer a league with better basketball, but that situation doesn’t exist for a school looking to make the jump to FBS. I wonder who writes the check to the NCAA?

Redbird222

Missouri State name be discussed with CUSA

CUSA Members

• Florida International
  • Jacksonville State
  • Liberty
  • Louisiana Tech
  • Middle Tennessee
  • New Mexico State
  • Sam Houston
  • Texas at El Paso
  • Western Kentucky
  • Kennesaw State (2024‐25)
  • Delaware (2025-26)

MadBird

I don't doubt the MAC is looking to expand. I'm not sure I see the three mentioned as the most likely.

Youngstown State seems much more logical to me as a first add. Right there in MAC-land, good rivalries, etc. But they prolly coulda joined MAC many times over the years, and never have. Must be something there.

Hard for me to see NDSU leaving its Dakota brothers behind. Maybe I don't understand it that well. Those 4 have been together a long timeup:, thru thick and thin. Geography and rivalries make it seem to me unlikely anyone breaks out of it. Maybe I'm way off - maybe one or more are looking to carve their own way athletically.

Hard for me to think W.KY thinks MAC is better than what they have now. CUSA may be a good fit for them.

ISU, hard to say. Seems to me, overall, the current situation is a good fit. I don't see or feel the pressure to "move up" to FBS/MAC. Maybe I'm wrong, out of touch. But overall, the MAC would be a good fit, as far as the overall picture is concerned - midwest public universities, we've got a history with a few of them (CMU, Ball State, NIU), similar sizes and academc programs.

I don't know how it would work financially. Not just where to get the dough to pay to the NCAA for their extortion, but the extra schollies. I'd hate to see our other programs "suffer" for the sake of moving up. I think the basketball would be pretty competitive for us, maybe a chance to "move up" there, but Toledo is always good, CMU and WMU are pretty good, Miami and Ohio U and Buffalo have been pretty decent. Our natural rivals in DeKalb.

I'd support it I guess, even tho over the years I've been happy with FCS/MVFC and MVC for the rest.

StLRedbird

If the MAC came calling I’d jump. I don’t trust the privates in the MVC. Basketball would take a small hit, but we’d be with more likeminded universities. Natural rivalries in NIU and Ball State.
Strongly agree with this. Our situation in the Valley - half football-playing publics and half no-football privates + UIC - means that our "all sports" conference and Illinois St are misaligned. Every time the Valley expands, this split is on full display. I'm willing to take a step down in basketball to get into a conference where all schools are likeminded. The MVC was the right choice in 1980, but in 2024 football is the undisputed king. It's time to recognize that and put ourselves into a better overall situation.

StLRedbird

I don't doubt the MAC is looking to expand. I'm not sure I see the three mentioned as the most likely.

Youngstown State seems much more logical to me as a first add. Right there in MAC-land, good rivalries, etc. But they prolly coulda joined MAC many times over the years, and never have. Must be something there.

Hard for me to see NDSU leaving its Dakota brothers behind. Maybe I don't understand it that well. Those 4 have been together a long timeup:, thru thick and thin. Geography and rivalries make it seem to me unlikely anyone breaks out of it. Maybe I'm way off - maybe one or more are looking to carve their own way athletically.

Hard for me to think W.KY thinks MAC is better than what they have now. CUSA may be a good fit for them.

ISU, hard to say. Seems to me, overall, the current situation is a good fit. I don't see or feel the pressure to "move up" to FBS/MAC. Maybe I'm wrong, out of touch. But overall, the MAC would be a good fit, as far as the overall picture is concerned - midwest public universities, we've got a history with a few of them (CMU, Ball State, NIU), similar sizes and academc programs.

I don't know how it would work financially. Not just where to get the dough to pay to the NCAA for their extortion, but the extra schollies. I'd hate to see our other programs "suffer" for the sake of moving up. I think the basketball would be pretty competitive for us, maybe a chance to "move up" there, but Toledo is always good, CMU and WMU are pretty good, Miami and Ohio U and Buffalo have been pretty decent. Our natural rivals in DeKalb.

I'd support it I guess, even tho over the years I've been happy with FCS/MVFC and MVC for the rest.
I found the three schools he cherry picked a little odd, too. Then I thought about what the MAC just did by adding UMass, whose primary objection to the MAC all along was that they wanted a stronger basketball conference. Adding WKU and ISU helps address that if you're willing to accept that ISU will eventually revert to it's basketball norm. Throw in NDSU cuz they would upgrade the football profile w one addition.

TBS_20

I thin the MAC would be a steeping stone in theory. I would be begging to get in right now.

fourthandshort

I don't know enough to offer a strong opinion. But I do love the MVFC as it stands today. And I still like the FCS playoff format, but could do without the auto-bids.

I do see the misalignment of football with all other as a detractor from better establishing some conference rivals. And we are doing so well overall with our MVC sports. I also know nothing lasts forever, and we don't want to be late or last one willing to move.

Bottom line .. I really like what we have now for football and MVC sports, though unaligned. But I know it won't last forever. So if there is one thing I am absolutely certain of, it is this ... I dunno.

TBS_20

Reading the MAC board and most want us. If they add 3

ISUBird

Strongly agree with this. Our situation in the Valley - half football-playing publics and half no-football privates + UIC - means that our "all sports" conference and Illinois St are misaligned. Every time the Valley expands, this split is on full display. I'm willing to take a step down in basketball to get into a conference where all schools are likeminded. The MVC was the right choice in 1980, but in 2024 football is the undisputed king. It's time to recognize that and put ourselves into a better overall situation.

Let's say that everyone agreed we needed to move up. Does it make sense to move in the next few years when they could make another split like 1978 or if our plans are to move up should we do it ASAP because of that?

TBS_20

Let's say that everyone agreed we needed to move up. Does it make sense to move in the next few years when they could make another split like 1978 or if our plans are to move up should we do it ASAP because of that?
I think we do it now ans use is as a stepping stone. Of course it might not work like that but that's would be the goal.

Top Bottom