vs Evansville (6-9) - Sunday, 2/18/2024 - 2 pm - ESPN+

KingO

Haven't been to a game since covid started. Was great to get back. Crowd was decent with how this year has been. Regardless of how they are playing, this keep just never gives up. Later muller teams would have lost a lot of these games when they lose a lead. Hopefully now that some shots are falling they can win out.

Birdswin

I see a team learning how to win games down the stretch. Twice now, after enjoying a lead, get tied/fall behind in the latter portion of the second half - then come right back and finish strong. That is learning how to win. There is almost always a stretch of adversity in every game - just have to fight through it - stay disciplined and mentally strong. These are all Good Signs at this time of year.

DoubleDeuce

How about that block by Kinziger.
Joe Rogan Wow GIF by UFC

Redbird222

Evansville clawed their way back in the game but the Birds fought back for the win which was great to see again.

I was impressed with Evansville's offense. It actually looked like two good teams battling each other vs a close game between bottom dwellers. Evansville has played well since the return of Humrichous. I would not want to play either team in St Louis assuming the Birds offense continues to shine.

Lewis has been contributing on the boards consistently the past 5 or 6 games. If he could convert just a little better down low it would be huge. Luke played well the last 2 games. If we can get Banks back offensively by St Louis ans assuming Burford assimilates back well, we could win a game or 2 down there.

Hopefully the team won over a few fans today and we can get them out for the last 2 home games.

ChiRedbirdfan

Mal was on fire!!! I am so excited for him personally as well as the team collectively because he has displayed such good character during this challenging season for him but he makes such a difference when he shoots the way we all know he can. So, shout out and love and support for number 1.

I didn’t realize this but during the broadcast of the Indiana State game they said that Mal was the most efficient offensive player retuning for the entire MVC for this season. I think we all realized he was the best pure shooter retuning for the Redbirds which raised our expectations for him and his impact on this team. Sometimes life doesn’t go the way you expect and you have to struggle and grind through. Mal has done this and has put together some solid games down the stretch.

If this team starts hitting their threes consistently, enough to keep the defenses honest, then couple that with a solid defense and a strong inside game then this improves the key dynamics of this team that are necessary for them to be competitive. The MVC is good this year especially after dipping the past few - currently ranked 9th for NET.

Nice W with HOF-bound Mr Collins in attendance. Of course, just being positive on the voting outcome for him.

Congrats Redbirds!
Good point about Mal and character. He has persevered with class when times were tough. Good to see him rewarded with good stats, pt, and wins.

Redbirdfan06

I would like to get Lieb back too. Foster will wear down... would love having both Lieb and Walker.
It would be nice to get Burford back. Not sure Lieb is going to make any difference for this team in March. I would take a tired Foster or Walker over Lieb. Lieb was a liability once we got into Valley play after opposing teams saw him play D1 basketball.

Birdswin

Evansville clawed their way back in the game but the Birds fought back for the win which was great to see again.

I was impressed with Evansville's offense. It actually looked like two good teams battling each other vs a close game between bottom dwellers. Evansville has played well since the return of Humrichous. I would not want to play either team in St Louis assuming the Birds offense continues to shine.

Lewis has been contributing on the boards consistently the past 5 or 6 games. If he could convert just a little better down low it would be huge. Luke played well the last 2 games. If we can get Banks back offensively by St Louis ans assuming Burford assimilates back well, we could win a game or 2 down there.

Hopefully the team won over a few fans today and we can get them out for the last 2 home games.
Agree completely on Lewis - a lot of his shots are short-armed - hit the front of the rim. The ball cannot go in, unless you get it over the front of the rim. Down low - feel contact - ball has to go higher up on the glass to compensate.

As for Luke K - when he does not shoot the 3 like the ball is a hot potato - takes a moment to set/and gather himself - hits the 3 much, much better.

Brick

Note: Foster with four assists. When they doubled him he made them pay. A lot of talk earlier in the season that he didn’t pass when the ball went into the low post. Evansville doubled him and we got a couple of layups and I believe a couple of threes. Then they stopped doubling him and he made them pay. With BOTH hands scoring. The last two games were fun to watch. Of course when you shoot it well that helps. 🤪. Add to that a PU loss and it was a good day!!

redbirds2000

I would not want to play anyone in St. Louis that shoots 54% from 3!

Baltimore Bird

Cal Bird....I don't have any inside information on , but I don't believe Foster is injured. From what I see, Foster is playing great and Pedon has FINALLY decided to shorten the rotation and play guys around 35 minutes. Since he did that, which was necessitated by injuries, we have played so much better. LOVE IT. SPREAD IT SLADE!!

redbirds2000

Cal Bird....I don't have any inside information on , but I don't believe Foster is injured. From what I see, Foster is playing great and Pedon has FINALLY decided to shorten the rotation and play guys around 35 minutes. Since he did that, which was necessitated by injuries, we have played so much better. LOVE IT. SPREAD IT SLADE!!
Yep. To think you have a team that is 8+ deep in the MVC is unrealistic. Even some the top teams in the country are not 8 deep. UCONN, Creighton, Kansas, etc. are pretty much playing 6 or 7 guys.

Redbird82

Great to win 2 in a row, especially playing really well 2 in a row. With Ben H, Evansville pretty solid team. That looked like a competitive well played game by both teams. Other than Walker only playing 3 minutes nothing but positives for me from that game. Let’s beat UNI and have actual winning streak!

Top Bottom