First Game vs WIU

DougSutton

Anyone able to watch on Espn+ or is it just on Marquee? Tried the link to espn from schedule but just gives an error
I'm watching through ESPN+ from San Diego.

I first clicked the link from GoRedibirds and accessed it on my computer and then through my AppleTV on my TV

DougSutton

Western appears to be much more physical and a better defensive team than Wooster.

Bird Friend

Staff member
I see a lot of red in the seats. Oops . . . those are the seats . . .

Both teams shooting the lights out early. They need to be making baskets, instead. Gonna be harder to make buckets without any lights.

Necks are playing very hardnosed D. Birds keep dribbling into trouble. I'm gonna chalk that up to first game jitters.

Metamoron

Have made only layups and free throws. But that’s better than not making anything.

Bird Friend

Staff member
Petrakis opened the rim up with the first and second treys . . . Burford makes sure the bank is open on a half court shot at the buzzer.

Birds up 40-33 at half.

Redbird Alum 2004

Nice burst there to end the half. And wow buzzer beater in our favor?!?! Didn't think that was a thing.

Metamoron

That changed in a hurry.

Like that we drive to the rim.
Good defensive rebounding
Lewis looks good on boards
Quick guards

Some questionable decision making
Not much offensive flow
Defense needs work.

Looked awful for most of half and ahead by 7. I’ll take it.

Bird Friend

Staff member
Some early notes . . .

• Who had Poindexter as the leading scorer at half of our first game?
  • Once Petrakis hit our first trey, WIU seemed to overcompensate to cover the 3-ball and allowed our guys a bunch of easy layups.
  • Speaking of layups, we were 8-9 on layups. Not sure we had any games in the past few years where we consistently made our layups.
  • We have 7 TOs, which is not bad. Three of them were bonehead TOs and two were offensive fouls.
  • We had only 2 assists, which is not good . . . at all. We did a lot of dribbling around.
  • Up 26-16 in rebounds. We did a lot of tip/slap outs on boards. That's not going to work against bigger teams.
  • 10-11 on free throws . . . that's really nice to see.
  • WIU shot 35.1% and I can't remember them missing wide open shots, so our guys were challenging everything.
As Baltimore said, really ugly first 15 minutes. But finished up really well. We were down 24-18 with 4:40 left in the half. 22-9 to finish.

TBS_20

3 assist a quarter way through the 2nd. That's got to be a record

DougSutton

If the refs are going to call travels on us, it would have been nice if they would have called a travel when #12 for Western caught the ball and traveled before we fouled him with 5 seconds left.

Birdfriend72

If the refs are going to call travels on us, it would have been nice if they would have called a travel when #12 for Western caught the ball and traveled before we fouled him with 5 seconds left.

We shot 20 more free throws come on. lol

Top Bottom