NDSU

Bird Friend

Staff member
Didn't see this anywhere else . . .

The Bison's starting center is out for the rest of the season.

fourthandshort

Well, if we're lining up excuses before the big game .. we've been without our best offensive player, Cole Mueller, all season (sans 1st series of 1st game). And now we're missing our best defensive player Zeke Vandenburg. :p

On a serious note, any news on Vandenburg being last minute scratch ? Hope that means he is week to week at worst. We could sure use him against the NDSU run game.

cpacmel

On a serious note, any news on Vandenburg being last minute scratch ? Hope that means he is week to week at worst. We could sure use him against the NDSU run game.

I remember listening to the radio broadcast and the announcers saying how Zeke had missed all week of practice and couldn't go vs the Trees. That was news to me, but the amount of ISU info that is hitting the public these days is smaller and smaller.

DaveBird10

Well, if we're lining up excuses before the big game .. we've been without our best offensive player, Cole Mueller, all season (sans 1st series of 1st game). And now we're missing our best defensive player Zeke Vandenburg. :p

I remember listening to the radio broadcast and the announcers saying how Zeke had missed all week of practice and couldn't go vs the Trees. That was news to me, but the amount of ISU info that is hitting the public these days is smaller and smaller.
I ran into Zeke's parents getting dinner at the Beef House after the game and according to his dad " Zeke bruised it @UNI then played thru it vs USD and even kind of reaggravated then" . The plan is to have Zeke get by and rest it @Indiana State so he can let it heal up for NDSU this coming weekend. I do want to applaud Zeke's parents for driving to the game and cheering the Birds on while they knew Zeke wasn't going to play.

Total Red

Staff member
When I first saw that this game was scheduled after the Dakota Marker game (NDSU vs. SDSU) I liked our chances. That game takes a lot out of both teams. Only later did I realize that North Dakota St. was taking their Bye week after that game. They've paid us the ultimate compliment. They wanted two weeks to prepare for the Redbirds.
We need to get healthy. We need Vandenburgh back and we need Okolo to play much more than just a few snaps. We need Wright to run with power and speed. The Bison have a chink in their armor. They had trouble tackling against SDSU and that is uncharacteristic of them. We also need our QB to remain cool and calm and play a smart game. Is Annexstad up to it? I think he believes in himself and that is a good place to start.

Baltimore Bird

I sure think we hang around in this game. I will probably put some action on that spread if it holds.

fourthandshort

Illinois State +17.5

Over / under 39.5
so 29 - 11 wins the Over, but loses the spread.

If Wright and Vandenburg are at all near 100% and playing starter reps, I would bet Redbirds will score at least 17 points. Under same premise, I doubt we lose by 18, sans a late score and think we could ride some mojo into that game and give them a good scare .. dare I say, win ???

Not sure you can place bets that exclude late scores ... can you ? 😁

More seriously ... NDSU has very strong pass defense and somewhat mediocre run defense. Flip the script on offense, they still run very well, and passs sparingly compared to most teams ... they throw about half as much as we do .. 129 vs 237 attempts. But this is why we need a healthy Vandenburg and Wright back for this game .. to even things up in the run game department.

If we can bring a balance offensive attack, and not grind Wenkers Wright into the ground by over using him again to where he had to sit out the last series. 36 carries against ISUb, when his previous highs were 21 against Valpo in game 2, and then 14 and 15 carries the last 2 games. Need more from White, Brown, and Lampkin .. with a few designed runs for Annexstad to keep them honest on all fronts. If our OL is solid and we mix it up effectively, this will be a look we haven't had against them in many years .. having competent QB and OC can do wonders - it;s just coming together slower than we would have liked. But we can see it slowly developing. We've now got some WRs we are starting to like .. more importantly, Annexstad is getting to know and like.

Just now noticed, our TEs have 37 catches for 329 yards after just 7 games ... James O'Shaughnessy had 29 catches in 2014, his best season by far ... but that was in 15 games. Now we got Carr, Sobkowicz, Brock Annexstad, and then Carter and Buckner starting to emerge .. plus Wright and White out of the backfield.

1666743583099.png

1666744000397.png

Last edited:

fourthandshort

nice article and story about Spack & co making the drive to Minny.

Thing about Annexstad is his stats don't do him justice at this point .. not at all. Partly on him at times, adapting and groring. But much more on the entire situation he walked into IMO. No established receivers, then loses his stud RB after 3 carries. Now has just Taula as established rplay maker. So he slowly starts building something with his brand new unproven teammates. Getting his brother Brock was a nice add too ... returner and receiver to help fill out our weakest position groups overall.

If we stay reasonably healthy, I think it should continue to move in positive direction. Oh to have Mueller and Wright splitting reps right now .. but I digress. We're on a good track .. nowhere near where we could be by end of season.

Come on OL !! Come on WR and RB groups ! Come on Defense !!

1666833025691.png

Last edited:

Phantom

Got some confidence and good momentum since the win @UNI. Anexstad is much better from the first couple weeks. Shut down their run and try to even the clock management and we could hang in. Not expecting us to steal this one but weirder shit has happened in this league.

Redbirdwarrior

NDSU is more beatable this year than any year in the last decade. While I don't think we win, I don't think it is outside the realm of possibility like I've thought for the last 5 years or so.

fourthandshort

NDSU is more beatable this year than any year in the last decade. While I don't think we win, I don't think it is outside the realm of possibility like I've thought for the last 5 years or so.
especially true given their run defense is very average, and we've not had a QB who can spread it around and keep it once in a while. Their pass defense is very good, so Annexstad will have to feel them out for a bit early. But our run game can lead this game in a way it can't usually against the Bison. Even after JR got off to nice start in 2019 playoff, Bison adjusted and locked him up rest of the game. So i hope we get more backs involved too along with Annextsad mixing things up in pass game and keep it just often enough to drive them nuts. Our pass and run options are improving each week ... mix it up !!

MadBird

especially true given their run defense is very average, and we've not had a QB who can spread it around and keep it once in a while. Their pass defense is very good, so Annexstad will have to feel them out for a bit early. But our run game can lead this game in a way it can't usually against the Bison. Even after JR got off to nice start in 2019 playoff, Bison adjusted and locked him up rest of the game. So i hope we get more backs involved too along with Annextsad mixing things up in pass game and keep it just often enough to drive them nuts. Our pass and run options are improving each week ... mix it up !!
Yes.

In our 20-0 loss at Hancock last year, NDSU scored 10 points in the last 6 minutes of the game. So, for 3.5 quarters, it was a pretty close game scorewise. Our run game was fairly non-existent, only 90 plus yards before backing out the 30 yards lost by QB.

In 2020, at the Fargo Dome, we lost 21-13, with the Bisons scoring with 3:39 left in the game (after an 8 minute drive). So, score was 14-13 well into the 4th Q. In that game we were able to run the ball, 133 net yards gained, and Nigel White was the leading rusher with 87 yds.

And of course the 2019 playoff game, 9-3 in favor of the Bisons. Birds outgained them on the ground behind JRob's 94 yards. No TD's in the game.

Soooo, we can hang with these guys. But have to play tough all the way to the end. Follow 4th's advice and show balance. Get Zeke back in the saddle. DB's have to not give up the big one, TACKLE!, and maybe look back once or twice if they let one of their receivers get past! Easier to knock the ball away if you can see it. They only beat ISU Blue by 5.

Phantom

And of course the 2019 playoff game, 9-3 in favor of the Bisons. Birds outgained them on the ground behind JRob's 94 yards. No TD's in the game.

We won that game 10-9. An absurd call made it otherwise. But I digress.

Loved our effort that day, and to Mad's whole point, we always play them tough and close...so we are due for one. Just don't know if we have the horses for it to be tomorrow.

Top Bottom