Return to Horton?

TIMMY

I thought I'd bump it as tickets are now on sale to everyone. If we want stuff like this to happen we need to show up. By the way, there are 2 levels upper and lower so maybe there will be temporary bleachers on the floor. I guess I'll find out when I get there.

TIMMY

I'm pretty sure we should have a meeting at Fiala Bros, either before, after, or both. Gonna get me a beer and a sammich.

Seven

Did this sell out within hours? It shows nothing available under Return to Horton.

Seven

Got it to work! Oddly, when I was logged in, I'd get a "No events/items available" message for single games in all sports. But once I logged out, the game showed up as available.

Loyl2u

Looking forward to return to Horton if for nothing else than how loud the old barns were. So I attended several games at Horton late 70s/ early 80s (mostly BU/ISU but also including win over #2 UNLV) and my memory is of a massive set of bleachers on the north end. Seems like I climbed forever when sitting there, yet the few photos of north bleachers I ve found show a much, much smaller set behind north basket than I remember. Is my memory plying tricks on me or did they use a much larger set of stands for big games? Pictures?

Redbird222

Looking forward to return to Horton if for nothing else than how loud the old barns were. So I attended several games at Horton late 70s/ early 80s (mostly BU/ISU but also including win over #2 UNLV) and my memory is of a massive set of bleachers on the north end. Seems like I climbed forever when sitting there, yet the few photos of north bleachers I ve found show a much, much smaller set behind north basket than I remember. Is my memory plying tricks on me or did they use a much larger set of stands for big games? Pictures?
Your memory is correct. I do think they added or reduced the bleachers on North end based on the expected attendance

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Your memory is correct. I do think they added or reduced the bleachers on North end based on the expected attendance
It's been stated a few times they due to fire regulations they cannot use the same bleachers as before, hence the much smaller capacity. You'll never see 7k in there again.

Baltimore Bird

Back in the day, Horton held about 6k for most home games. If the attendance was going to be large, they added to the bleachers at the North end and could about 8k for those games. If you went to BU/ISU and UNLV the large bleachers were up and yes you walked quite aways up them.

Bird Friend

Staff member
Used to climb the underside of those bleachers when I was pre-teen. People would have coats, sweaters, scarves, etc. slip down into the frame and a few of us kids would climb in and retrieve them. Sure it was all Good Samaritan-esque, but mostly it was about the challenge of getting to some spots.

Hrtnfldhse

Are they doing anything else for the Horton game? Bringing back some players that played at Horton? I know they have the Collins lunch but was hoping they would bring back a handful of players from the Horton era

Redbirdwarrior

I think there will be a lot of alumni at this game. I believe they will not be as loud as they were back in the day, but I am confident it will be louder than a game at RBA, especially a non-con game.
I hope it is a success so the school may make it an annual thing.

Top Bottom