SIU 10/1

Total Red

Staff member
Almost everyone expected us to be 2-1 through 3 games so in a sense the season starts on Saturday against SIU. The line on this game should be close. If the 'Birds win then we have a viable path to the playoffs. If we lose, then we'll need to gain the game back by upsetting someone on the road. N. Iowa looks a little more vulnerable this year, and SIU may be the tougher opponent, but I'd still rather take on the Salukis at home than the Panthers in the UNI-Dome. In other words, there is no use putting off until two weekends from now what you can accomplish 10/1.

SIU is led by QB Nic Baker and he is the complete package throwing and running. They can also use fullback Javon Williams as a Wildcat QB, so they give you a lot to prepare for. SIU had the clear advantage at QB last season but we've closed the gap with Annexstad. Even so, SIU has the edge on offense but the 'Birds should have the better defense. SIU looks helpless on the D side in their first two games where they gave up 98 pts and went 0 -2. Since then they have only given up 41 points and they evened their record at 2-2 which includes the win at Northwestern.

We should have a big crowd for Family Weekend. We'll need it. I really have no idea how this is going to go and that makes it exciting.

MadBird

Quick thoughts TR:

Northwestern - NU :) - does not look strong, including the loss to Miami this weekend, so SIU's win is great for them and the MVFC, but taken with a grain of salt.

I worry about our D backfield the most I think, and feel better about our O. We'll see how that works out. Got some work to do to hold down Baker and the passing game. They used the TE to great advantage vs. NU as did UW to us, so we've gotta clean that up.

SIU can be had, as Missouri-Cape Girardeau and Incarnate Word showed, so let's step up and make a statement!

RedbirdSoxFan

Quick thoughts TR:

Northwestern - NU :) - does not look strong, including the loss to Miami this weekend, so SIU's win is great for them and the MVFC, but taken with a grain of salt.

I worry about our D backfield the most I think, and feel better about our O. We'll see how that works out. Got some work to do to hold down Baker and the passing game. They used the TE to great advantage vs. NU as did UW to us, so we've gotta clean that up.

SIU can be had, as Missouri-Cape Girardeau and Incarnate Word showed, so let's step up and make a statement!
Rochester trio of Nic Baker and the Cox (Avante & D’Ante’) twins could be a tough challenge for Redbird Defensive Secondary. Front seven will need to keep pressure on Baker. And as Madbird mentioned, the Salukis offense use their TE a lot. Should be an exciting game in front of a SRO crowd.

Dmills

SIU was ranked 19th in the Stats Perform Top 25 and received the 26th most votes in the Coaches Poll

Virginia Redbird

Rochester trio of Nic Baker and the Cox (Avante & D’Ante’) twins could be a tough challenge for Redbird Defensive Secondary. Front seven will need to keep pressure on Baker. And as Madbird mentioned, the Salukis offense use their TE a lot. Should be an exciting game in front of a SRO crowd.
I said in the pre-season discussions that I expected this game to be a defining game in ISU's season. I have not changed my mind about that. The Birds are right where most of us thought they would be a 2-1. A loss to the Badgers, a win over Valpo if not very impressive, and another win over Eastern. If the Birds beat the Egyptian Dogs the next three games look to be very winnable. UNI has not looked as strong as expected. South Dakota travels to Normal on Homecoming and ISU Blue on the road is not intimidating. None are going to be easy of course, nothing in the MVFC is a gimmie. Still, if the Birds smooth out some problems on offense the schedule sets up well for going to NDSU at 6-1.
They need to play consistent and mistake-free ball to do that. We will see if they can do that.

fourthandshort

This is a big one, as in a winnable tough game early in season. We have 2 less winnable games over next month (NDSU and SDSU). UNI isn't looking as formidable as my AGS UNI source Clenz had thought .. though they just squashed WIU badly.

We got a bye week to heel up. Plus got an extra week to scout their UND game where they played well .. so we should have gotten very good look at what they can do. All SIU has seen of us is 3 games that don't equate to playing an SIU game.

Hopefully we've been saving some of the play book, and our Redbirds come out with sense of focused urgency .. and some very cool new Uni's.

Dmills

We might have Larry Tracy and Wenkers Wright back (which we already knew). We've been blessed with good health the last two games and are in a great spot personnel wise for SIU. The thing I'm most excited about is seeing more of Jerome Buckner, last game was his first of the season and he looks super quick and elusive. He's going to make some big plays for us with more opportunities and gives Zack a great weapon.

Last edited:

fourthandshort

Going to be beautiful day Saturday for Family day against SIU ... 74 for high, sunny, a little breezy though settling some in evening. 6:30 kickoff under the lights with 6:38 sunset. Hoping students turn out early and get Hancock rocking !!!

We're 2-1 like we all thought at this point .. got some proving to do, but season starts now.

Let's go Redbirds !!!!

Phantom

OK, we've got a big crowd coming for Saturday night. If only there was a way to get them fully engaged in the game. Is it time to break out the mini footballs again? #peltthepups
Was front row in the Zoo that (and every) game. Still embarrassed that shitshow happened. Knew it wasn't a good idea when they started handing them out to us when we were walking in. I still have mine, FWIW...didn't throw it. Aside from that fiasco, that was a crazy fun day. More than 17K in the old stadium, two top-5 teams, perfect weather, and we whipped their ass.

Would love a repeat of that (minus the projectiles...though it would be great if we had a student section that rowdy again), on Saturday.

fourthandshort

Was front row in the Zoo that (and every) game. Still embarrassed that shitshow happened. Knew it wasn't a good idea when they started handing them out to us when we were walking in. I still have mine, FWIW...didn't throw it. Aside from that fiasco, that was a crazy fun day. More than 17K in the old stadium, two top-5 teams, perfect weather, and we whipped their ass.

Would love a repeat of that (minus the projectiles...though it would be great if we had a student section that rowdy again), on Saturday.
Phantom, et al .. I never sat in the zoo. On a scale of 1 to 10, how close was that thing to collapsing ?

crazzymark

Hey you old fart season ticket holders...show up! The optic looks horrible on TV. I know that some of you were selling your season tickets for the game for $100 a piece nothing against making a profit but you need to be at the game and cheer them on. This is probably the season changing game ISU needs to make the playoffs. If it wasn't for hurricane Ian, would have been there this weekend for the game but my flight got canceled. (Yes I live in Florida.) I was going to travel 1,118 mile for the game, I'm sure you can travel a mile and a half or less for a game.Go you Damn Birds and win this game. Love the black mode uniforms. Big Time is a coming.

Top Bottom