College Basketball Free Agency

Adunk33

Many of us hoped the transfer portal would calm down a bit once the COVID years of eligibility expired in a couple years. Unfortunately, it looks like college basketball free agency is here to stay. Players will be allowed to transfer multiple times without sitting out as long players submit notice within certain dates. Seems like the new norm is going to be 3 schools in 4 years.

Bird Friend

Staff member
No professional league allows for annual free agency unless the player signs a one-year deal. Annual free agency isn’t economically sustainable, even for the “big boys”. You want to run the NCAA like a professional sport, then run it like a professional league.

Allow schools to offer different scholarship levels (1, 2, & 4 years) that are contractual commitments that can only be broken through mutual agreement. Give schools a “renew date” to offer an extension for the following season (which would include incentives, if any). Give players a due date to accept or decline the offer. Declining equals entering the transfer portal.

And/or allow schools to use incentives attached to commitments (i.e., paying for elite camps, etc.) as basis for lengthening the commitment If a player chooses to leave, require the school who signs the player to repay the cost of the incentives plus the cost of recruiting a player to replace the exiting player (or some other economic incentive like a buy-game, etc.).

If there is a coaching change . . . well, professional leagues don’t give their players a free pass to move on, even for kids signed in their mid- to late-teens. If a kid wants to leave, then JUCO or NAIA schools are available (sort of like independent leagues).

Of course these changes will break apart the NCAA, but that seems likely anyhow.

SgtHulka

the movie drinking GIF

Redbird222

Maybe you put in a NIL deal with a clawback on montesry payments/benefits if they switch schools ... noncompete clauses etc...

If it's a business. drawup the contracts that way

BirdGrad2011

This could be a good thing for us. We may get kids that we would’ve never been in on before that don’t want to sit at a P5 for a year or 2. They may say screw that and go to a school like ISU to play and prove themselves. It’ll suck if they leave, but who knows, maybe they’ll fall in love with the school. Plus if they are that good we are probably successful.

Humdinger

College basketball free agency...writes Adunk. Yep. Damn straight. Unfortunately.

redbirds2000

No professional league allows for annual free agency unless the player signs a one-year deal. Annual free agency isn’t economically sustainable, even for the “big boys”. You want to run the NCAA like a professional sport, then run it like a professional league.

Allow schools to offer different scholarship levels (1, 2, & 4 years) that are contractual commitments that can only be broken through mutual agreement. Give schools a “renew date” to offer an extension for the following season (which would include incentives, if any). Give players a due date to accept or decline the offer. Declining equals entering the transfer portal.

And/or allow schools to use incentives attached to commitments (i.e., paying for elite camps, etc.) as basis for lengthening the commitment If a player chooses to leave, require the school who signs the player to repay the cost of the incentives plus the cost of recruiting a player to replace the exiting player (or some other economic incentive like a buy-game, etc.).

If there is a coaching change . . . well, professional leagues don’t give their players a free pass to move on, even for kids signed in their mid- to late-teens. If a kid wants to leave, then JUCO or NAIA schools are available (sort of like independent leagues).

Of course these changes will break apart the NCAA, but that seems likely anyhow.
Do we really care if the NCAA exists??

ILLST25

Free agency is making high majors less attractive to high school recruits. They get recruited over too easily. See Ty Pence.

BirdGrad2011

Free agency is making high majors less attractive to high school recruits. They get recruited over too easily. See Ty Pence.
What? In regards to Ty Pence he had an early offer from Illinois, but their recruiting has taken off since then. They are trying to get burger boys and the elite. 3* local kids are now beneath them. Wake Forest jumped in really late with Pence. He had some good offers, but let’s not pretend free agency had a major impact today.

DWRedbird

What? In regards to Ty Pence he had an early offer from Illinois, but their recruiting has taken off since then. They are trying to get burger boys and the elite. 3* local kids are now beneath them. Wake Forest jumped in really late with Pence. He had some good offers, but let’s not pretend free agency had a major impact today.

He's probably talking about this quote from Ty, from the Pantagraph:

"With the bigger schools, they've gotten commits already or people in my position in the transfer portal. That kind of hurts high school players. I was really looking for the place where I would best fit in and have an opportunity to play, and I thought that was ISU.

Humdinger

D-Dub. Very happy for this 'get' but I'm reading it as the writing is on the wall if Ty succeeds here.

DWRedbird

D-Dub. Very happy for this 'get' but I'm reading it as the writing is on the wall if Ty succeeds here.

I don't know that I'd say that. I have a feeling that he'll be here long term, especially with all his ties here.

Top Bottom