Committed Ty Pence, 6-4/180, SG, St. Joseph, IL

Dmills

Stalking a little bit, but here's the Ty Pence social media analysis that no one asked for:

I am not sure when this all happened, but Ty Pence is now followed on Instagram by Kendall Lewis, Chase Walker, Darius Burford, Malachi Poindexter, Joe Petrakis, Colton Sandage, Jayden Johnson, Luke Kasubke, John Kinziger, Coach Dakich, and Coach Pedon . I find that combination of followers pretty unlikely unless there is interest on Ty's end. To me it suggests that he has probably been on a visit. I highly doubt Walker, Poindexter, Petrakis, Kasubke, or Kinziger would have followed him prior to committing themselves or prior to his April 25th offer considering they are not from the state. FWIW, he follows very few accounts on Instagram, but he follows Lewis, RedbirdMBB (only other team he follows is IlliniMBB), Kinziger, Walker, Coach Dakich, and Coach Pedon back. Another good indicator is he is followed by Grad Assistant Tyler Hicks, Chief of Staff Mike Mastroianni, Coach Offutt, Coach Dakich and Coach Pedon on Twitter.

As a lot of people on here know, he is familiar with the campus because his sister, Kenzie, played on the softball team. Additionally, his cousin, Courtney, played on the volleyball team and his girlfriend has committed to play softball at ISU.

Probably something to keep an eye on. Would be a huge pickup.

Last edited:

Adunk33

Staff member
Illinois State would make a lot of sense for him. He has a ton of potential that if he shows out for a couple years as a Redbird, he may get an opportunity to live out his dream and play closer to home, east bound on I74.

It'll be exciting to see the State Farm Holiday Classic this year here in Bloomington/Normal. One way or another, there will be some players being recruited by ISU. I'm not sure in 10 years, the old staff ever stopped in to check out the talent that came to town. (I say this in jest, knowing that Muller went at least one time, probably more, but didn't value recruiting the MW).

Dmills

Illinois State would make a lot of sense for him. He has a ton of potential that if he shows out for a couple years as a Redbird, he may get an opportunity to live out his dream and play closer to home, east bound on I74.

It'll be exciting to see the State Farm Holiday Classic this year here in Bloomington/Normal. One way or another, there will be some players being recruited by ISU. I'm not sure in 10 years, the old staff ever stopped in to check out the talent that came to town. (I say this in jest, knowing that Muller went at least one time, probably more, but didn't value recruiting the MW).

This will be interesting as well. Another 2023 ISU target, Joey Hart plays for Linton-Stockton and will go head to head with Pence at the Kevin Brown Memorial ToC in Washington, IL. Ethan Kizer and Metamora will also be participating.

DWRedbird

May have been referring to Iowa State. I think they were just stating his top offers. I don't think he has an active offer from Illinois aside from probably a walk-on opportunity.

Could be us. A quick scan of twitter for him looks like his sister went here and he has several other friends committed here for other sports.

DannyCooksey

Stalking a little bit, but here's the Ty Pence social media analysis that no one asked for:

I am not sure when this all happened, but Ty Pence is now followed on Instagram by Kendall Lewis, Chase Walker, Darius Burford, Malachi Poindexter, Joe Petrakis, Colton Sandage, Jayden Johnson, Luke Kasubke, John Kinziger, Coach Dakich, and Coach Pedon . I find that combination of followers pretty unlikely unless there is interest on Ty's end. To me it suggests that he has probably been on a visit. I highly doubt Walker, Poindexter, Petrakis, Kasubke, or Kinziger would have followed him prior to committing themselves or prior to his April 25th offer considering they are not from the state. FWIW, he follows very few accounts on Instagram, but he follows Lewis, RedbirdMBB (only other team he follows is IlliniMBB), Kinziger, Walker, Coach Dakich, and Coach Pedon back. Another good indicator is he is followed by Grad Assistant Tyler Hicks, Chief of Staff Mike Mastroianni, Coach Offutt, Coach Dakich and Coach Pedon on Twitter.

As a lot of people on here know, he is familiar with the campus because his sister, Kenzie, played on the softball team. Additionally, his cousin, Courtney, played on the volleyball team and his girlfriend has committed to play softball at ISU.

Probably something to keep an eye on. Would be a huge pickup.
What sort of ceiling does he have as a player?

Redbirdfan76

This will be interesting as well. Another 2023 ISU target, Joey Hart plays for Linton-Stockton and will go head to head with Pence at the Kevin Brown Memorial ToC in Washington, IL. Ethan Kizer and Metamora will also be participating.

I have been to the TOC many times. It is a great 4-5 days of basketball and brings in teams from all over the country. Normal will be in the shootout portion of the TOC this year. If you have a chance over the week of Thanksgiving, check it out!!

Dmills

What sort of ceiling does he have as a player?
I am not a talent expert by any means, but I would find it entirely reasonable for him to make the All-Freshman team in the MVC. Junior and Senior year he definitely has first and second team All-MVC potential I would say.

Maybe he has a Marcus Domask level ceiling. Not that I am expecting that of him of course.

Here is a write-up from 247 Sports posted today:

"A three-star wing prospect, Ty Pence was the standout during the game we watched. A well put together 6-foot-6 win he plays a very nicely balanced game. He can shoot from deep, has some mid-range game and is able to finish at the rim thanks to his good size and athleticism. The guy is just rock solid and seems like he’ll end up at an upper end mid major program where he’ll do an awful lot to help win ball games. He had a sizeable crowd of Missouri Valley and MAC programs watching."

Dmills

To add additional context, there are rumors that Loyola (once considered the favorite by some) is now out on Pence after adding the Rubin twins. Illinois offer is also no longer open according to a friend with a little insider knowledge. Sounds like Ty had a good week with Midwest Pro at their tournament but no offers have come of it.

Matt Hein Fan

The only offer he is seriously considering besides the Birds is Belmont at this point but he wants to play closer to home, GF is on ISU softball team. Like others have said (for reasons I can’t begin to understand) Champaign is the dream. Perhaps he’ll follow in Ekey footsteps if he performs here, but the expectation is he will start his college career in Normal.

Adunk33

Staff member
The only offer he is seriously considering besides the Birds is Belmont at this point but he wants to play closer to home, GF is on ISU softball team. Like others have said (for reasons I can’t begin to understand) Champaign is the dream. Perhaps he’ll follow in Ekey footsteps if he performs here, but the expectation is he will start his college career in Normal.
Illannoy is in a VERY different place now then when they were bringing in transfers from The Valley (Ekey, Maniscalco, Rice, etc.) They're actually getting 5* kids and P5 transfers. Will they ever make it past the first weekend of the NCAA tournament? Doubtful, but I'd be very surprised if he ended up in Champaign.

MadBird

GF or sister? Or both? There's a Pence from St. Joe on the roster.

jbird

When I read in this thread that two-time Redbird volleyball MVP Courtney Pence was his cousin, I realized that I know his uncle here in Springfield. He is President of the local bank that can foreclose on my mortgage if I default on payments.

Dmills

These are highlights from 9 games (Midwest Pro was 9-0), but is still pretty crazy these are his highlights from one tournament. Lots of dunks. Midwest Pro is always playing in these tournaments looking like an All-Star team with the way Harding runs the point and creates opportunities for teammates. I'm not super familiar with the play style of AAU, but Midwest Pro always has lots of alley oops

Top Bottom