PNW

Bird Friend

Staff member
The arena Saturday night had about as much energy as a morgue. The only thing worse than the basketball is the music. I always feel like I’m about to be car jacked. And someone should tell the sound people to turn it down. There’s nobody in the seats to baffle the noise. $14.00 for two small popcorns and a bottle of water, hideous music and hideous basketball. This is Redbird Basketball!
Listen Teddy Bear GIF by Adult Swim

Dmills

Our attendance drop should be comparable to other programs then. Not bottoming out at possibly the lowest in program history. Nobody is mad about playing this game. It’s all the same red flags as literally every other game the last 3-4 years. High turnovers, lazy passes, awful defense. I don’t care what is going on in the world, but full attendance being allowed and only being 10% full is a damn embarrassment. Maybe don’t post if you’re just going to make excuses.
The part that is absolutely hilarious is how I said the lack of success is one of the reasons attendance is down. You want to disregard all other factors and when people call you out on it you tell them to stop posting. View the attendance drop in an objective manner and you will be able to reason with others and have a discussion. You can call them excuses all you want. I like to call it reality.

BirdGrad2011

The part that is absolutely hilarious is how I said the lack of success is one of the reasons attendance is down. You want to disregard all other factors and when people call you out on it you tell them to stop posting. View the attendance drop in an objective manner and you will be able to reason with others and have a discussion. You can call them excuses all you want. I like to call it reality.
The attendance in other games not competing with Thanksgiving or volleyball is crap. The atmosphere is dead. Nobody knows what Dan practices because the team hasn’t improved defensively since Yak moved on. The collective drop is solely due to Muller tanking the program. If he had any respect for the university he would quit.

BirdGrad2011

UNI had 1,307 at their home game 2 weeks ago. There is only one thing that can be done to rectify this. FIRE JACOBSON
UNI holds about 6,500 and averaged 3,774 in 2019.

I’m not sure Redbird Arenas official number since renovation but ~10k and we averaged 5,154 in 2019.

Tell me which is worse.

Dmills

UNI holds about 6,500 and averaged 3,774 in 2019.

I’m not sure Redbird Arenas official number since renovation but ~10k and we averaged 5,154 in 2019.

Tell me which is worse.
The capacity is 9,600 according to this (which I strongly believe is accurate): 20211109 vs UNCW (PDF) - Illinois State University Athletics

The capacity of the McLeod Center is 6,650 according to this: MBB Game Notes 2 Vermont (PDF) - UNI Athletics

That would have the Panthers at 56.75% and the Redbirds at 53.69%. Therefore, ISU's attendance was marginally worse for that year.

jamminjamarsmiley

In 2014 who remembers the blizzard on the day we played SIU and Barry Hinson at home? The SIU bus got stranded on the side of the road going home if I remember correctly. Was about as bad of a snow and ice storm as you can have. We had more fans (1060) brave that life threatening weather, than we had show up last night.

Birdfriend72

In 2014 who remembers the blizzard on the day we played SIU and Barry Hinson at home? The SIU bus got stranded on the side of the road going home if I remember correctly. Was about as bad of a snow and ice storm as you can have. We had more fans (1060) brave that life threatening weather, than we had show up last night.
I remember that night. I was there with some friends. It was an adventure.

91Bird

At this point any win is a good win. They’ll definitely have to play better to get some more wins with 3 of the next 4 games vs the gauntlet of Chicago State, Jackson State, and Quincy.

stats

I was there. I can't believe I made it home.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
The arena Saturday night had about as much energy as a morgue. The only thing worse than the basketball is the music. I always feel like I’m about to be car jacked. And someone should tell the sound people to turn it down. There’s nobody in the seats to baffle the noise. $14.00 for two small popcorns and a bottle of water, hideous music and hideous basketball. This is Redbird Basketball!
Music makes you feel like you are going to be car jacked? What the hell does that even mean?

Rollbirds5

Had to travel back to school from the chicago suburbs over winter break to work that game if I remember right, should've just stayed at home instead of risking my life on those roads. More cars in the ditches than on the road! Needed the beer money for second semester though I guess 🤷‍♂️

RedbirdSoxFan

Had to travel back to school from the chicago suburbs over winter break to work that game if I remember right, should've just stayed at home instead of risking my life on those roads. More cars in the ditches than on the road! Needed the beer money for second semester though I guess 🤷‍♂️
I remember driving down to Carbondale in a snow storm back in the late 90’s. Was not fun. I seem to remember that the Redbirds won the game.

isutaz

Music makes you feel like you are going to be car jacked? What the hell does that even mean?
Guessing the music that is played is some sort of rap(music I don't care for). It's for the players and students though. Anybody care for the video and song selection for the starting line up? I miss the days when they had a song that most people in the arena knew. Now people just sit and wait for it to get over.

RedbirdSoxFan

Guessing the music that is played is some sort of rap(music I don't care for). It's for the players and students though. Anybody care for the video and song selection for the starting line up? I miss the days when they had a song that most people in the arena knew. Now people just sit and wait for it to get over.
I agree on the intro music. Have zero incentive to get up and clap. I find that I just sit and wait until they start the player intro.

Brick

My daughter was in town. She really wanted to see game plus there was a letterman special invite so we went. Quite the night.

CaliRdBrd

UNI had 1,307 at their home game 2 weeks ago. There is only one thing that can be done to rectify this. FIRE JACOBSON
My perspective is,who cares what other teams are doing? Seems to me the mindset of “well everyone else is in the gutter, so maybe it’s not so bad that we’re laying there with them” is part of the problem.
Also, regarding Dayton. Kudos for them scheduling Kansas!
I’ve said this before, and I understand the difficulties regarding better scheduling, but I’d rather schedule all P5 teams knowing we’ll likely get out hats handed to us.
However, once in a while David defeats Goliath and man, you can’t beat that level of excitement.
Another plus of better scheduling…I imagine recruits (and current players) like knowing they’ll be on TV playing the likes of Michigan State, Kansas, UCLA etc. (I can’t imagine anyone is excited over Chicago State).
Lastly, better scheduling leads to better visibility. Better visibility leads to better recruits. Better recruits leads to better winning percentage. Better winning percentage leads to NCAA invites
NCAA invites leads to more money coming in. Honestly, it’s pretty simple

This entire program needs a reset and quickly…

BirdGrad2011

I’ve heard rumors we walked away from a very good game. But if what I heard is true we would’ve lost by 60 and that was after the Wisconsin game was added. We can’t compete against anyone better than 200 KenPom so why schedule more elite games this year?

I’d like whoever replaces Dan to schedule more like early Dan. Getting teams like VCU and Dayton to come to town was fantastic. Going to Louisville and nearly knocking them off was amazing.

Top Bottom