PNW

Bird Friend

Staff member
Careful not to say anything negative about the program. You’ll be labeled….
Sad Ncaa Basketball GIF by NCAA March Madness

TBS_20

Sadly just another sign of the all time low enthusiasm for the program. People who take the time to post on a message board are die hard fans and no interest among them. 1024 in attendance, that has to be the lowest ever for a regular season game with the exception of a couple blizzard games where fans couldn’t get there. A very lackluster game game for any who attended or watched. I will continue to root for a victory every game and be happy when they come, because nothing is gonna happen with Dan mid season. But the message has to clear to the ISU administration.
What makes no sense is the money they can't pay dan would be made up with a few thousand more fans. They're shooting themselves in the foot from both sides. Its literally like they're tanking on purpose.

Last edited:

Birdfriend72

What makes no sense is the money they can't pay dan would be made up with a few thousand more fans. They're shooting themselves in the foot from both sides. Its literally like they're tanking on purpose.
The only problem is they miss out on the draft pick! Pretty soon Dan will need to go to four seasons to recruit.

DannyCooksey

ISU Basketball is like Chicago Bears football. Not many fans are left and those that are barely care. Incompetence and indifference along with being completely tone deaf and outright stupidity have killed generations of fans.

the end result is an unrecognizable product that even the mothers find hard to love

i can’t wait for Muller to whine and cry about attendance

MadBird

Sadly just another sign of the all time low enthusiasm for the program. People who take the time to post on a message board are die hard fans and no interest among them. 1024 in attendance, that has to be the lowest ever for a regular season game with the exception of a couple blizzard games where fans couldn’t get there. A very lackluster game game for any who attended or watched. I will continue to root for a victory every game and be happy when they come, because nothing is gonna happen with Dan mid season. But the message has to clear to the ISU administration.
Well, no doubt the program is at a sad low -- but Saturday night, Thanksgiving weekend, 8pm, students on break, DII school, aren't the best ingredients for a ball game to draw a crowd. Looked pathetic on "TV". Not sure what the goal was, other than give the team another basically exhibition game.

edit - what cubird said.

Manchester Matt

Well, no doubt the program is at a sad low -- but Saturday night, Thanksgiving weekend, 8pm, students on break, DII school, aren't the best ingredients for a ball game to draw a crowd. Looked pathetic on "TV". Not sure what the goal was, other than give the team another basically exhibition game.

edit - what cubird said.
I went to the Saturday night post Thanksgiving game a few years ago and sat in the upper deck.

There’s no excuse for 1,042. NONE!

CaliRdBrd

I went to the Saturday night post Thanksgiving game a few years ago and sat in the upper deck.

Thanksgiving after effect
We're young
Possible after effect of recent daylight savings time change
possibility of a glare from lights reflecting off the backboard
popcorn too expensive
too cold for the 10minute walk from the tri towers

dpdoughbird06

If there hadn’t been an epic Volleyball championship beforehand I’d have bumped attendance to 1,043 - or maybe even 1,044. But five sets of nonstop cheering left me hungry and I chose enchiladas over whatever Sodexo is selling at Redbird Arena these days. I’ll be back Wednesday for Dan vs Dana.

MBB vs PUNW was going to top the comeback that sent Redbird Volleyball dancing. A lot of us started joking “We’re a Volleyball school!” a few years ago, but at some point it became serious. Athletics even let us tailgate beforehand with some players’ parents. Leah has built that program into the best bang for your buck entertainment in town.

Back to basketball: I think in a down Valley the Redbirds can make some noise this year. They finally have a true PG, Chatman and Reeves breaking out, and interchangeable athletic wings. If the bigs step up (a big IF) it could be fun by February.

I’m cautiously optimistic that going in as a hot 5 or 6-seed in STL the Birds could steal the auto-bid. That’s more than we could say the last two years.

dpdoughbird06

Thanksgiving after effect
We're young
Possible after effect of recent daylight savings time change
possibility of a glare from lights reflecting off the backboard
popcorn too expensive
too cold for the 10minute walk from the tri towers
Popcorn - and pretzels - are pretty damn expensive. My kids hit me up for an $8 pretzel with cheese or a $10 popcorn bucket they can wear on their head every game.

My deal with them is “the instant we buy this you commit to staying for the entire game”; I purchase peace of mind.

Scipio

The arena Saturday night had about as much energy as a morgue. The only thing worse than the basketball is the music. I always feel like I’m about to be car jacked. And someone should tell the sound people to turn it down. There’s nobody in the seats to baffle the noise. $14.00 for two small popcorns and a bottle of water, hideous music and hideous basketball. This is Redbird Basketball!

Dmills

I find it ridiculous the complaining about the attendance on here for this game specifically. Most people who have commented have constantly ignored all other factors and have decided to make everything about Dan. When other factors are pointed out, some of these people still say "it doesn't matter" in pursuit of whatever narrative they wish to portray.

This game was scheduled for a purpose and it probably wasn't a bad idea to schedule it coming off of the trip to Cancun. With that being said, of course a Division II game is not going to generate much fan interest. Who would travel more than about 15 minutes to see that? Who would want to pay full price to see that? As for students, campus was extremely dead yesterday. There was probably between 25-45% of the student population on campus. In what universe should we reasonably expect they would pack RBA for this game?

In addition, attendance is way down this year, particularly across the MVC.

Yes, one of the reasons the attendance is down is due to lack of interest in the basketball program largely due to the lack of success in the last 3-4 years. Yes, absent a miracle, we will have the lowest attendance since the opening of RBA (and probably many years before then). If you want to talk about the attendance issues, you can't refuse to ignore other relevant factors. At least talk about the attendance for relevant games such as UNC-W, Murray State, or Bucknell. If you want to complain about the attendance for a D-II game during Thanksgiving break and try to use that as the reason we need to fire Dan, give me a break.

BirdGrad2011

I find it ridiculous the complaining about the attendance on here for this game specifically. Most people who have commented have constantly ignored all other factors and have decided to make everything about Dan. When other factors are pointed out, some of these people still say "it doesn't matter" in pursuit of whatever narrative they wish to portray.

This game was scheduled for a purpose and it probably wasn't a bad idea to schedule it coming off of the trip to Cancun. With that being said, of course a Division II game is not going to generate much fan interest. Who would travel more than about 15 minutes to see that? Who would want to pay full price to see that? As for students, campus was extremely dead yesterday. There was probably between 25-45% of the student population on campus. In what universe should we reasonably expect they would pack RBA for this game?

Yes, one of the reasons the attendance is down is due to lack of interest in the basketball program largely due to the lack of success in the last 3-4 years. Yes, absent a miracle, we will have the lowest attendance since the opening of RBA (and probably many years before then). If you want to talk about the attendance issues, you can't refuse to ignore other relevant factors. At least talk about the attendance for relevant games such as UNC-W, Murray State, or Bucknell. If you want to complain about the attendance for a D-II game during Thanksgiving break and try to use that as the reason we need to fire Dan, give me a break.
Found Muller’s burner

MadBird

Amen.

BirdGrad2011

Our attendance drop should be comparable to other programs then. Not bottoming out at possibly the lowest in program history. Nobody is mad about playing this game. It’s all the same red flags as literally every other game the last 3-4 years. High turnovers, lazy passes, awful defense. I don’t care what is going on in the world, but full attendance being allowed and only being 10% full is a damn embarrassment. Maybe don’t post if you’re just going to make excuses.

Top Bottom