Murray State

Bird Friend

You stated that Freeman was a “Me” player because he shoots too much. Just pointing out that four players on Murray State, and three player’s on Illinois State must also be “Me” player’s.
And I stand by that assessment, based on what I've seen so far. He wants his numbers. I believe he came here thinking he could improve on his numbers from TSU. He's also supposed to be a plus-defender. Haven't seen that out of him yet. Until I see that, I don't want to see him trying to get his numbers. MSU's guards were a combined 22-42 / 6-15 from the field. Take Williams out of the mix (5-19 / 1-5) and MSU was 28-51 / 6-15 from the field. Our best defense seemed to be to get the ball to Williams.

I also called Strong a me player. Frankly, I think Reeves is, too. But Reeves is the only one who can score at all 3 levels. Freeman can't hit 3's often enough, and Strong can't take it to the hoop. Of the 3, I want Reeves to be the only me player.

Lewis and Chatman are both at or near 50% on 2 pt FGs. They both need to continue to attack the basket when they get the ball. Chatman gets the ball quite a bit. Lewis, not so much. I think half of his 2FG attempts have been from getting the offensive rebound. We need our guards to get the ball inside to Lewis more often. That said, Lewis has got to stay out of foul trouble.

This year so far the Birds have played 2 really good halfs (2nd vs UNCW, 1st vs EMU) and one okay half vs MSU. Otherwise, they've been poor defensively and offensively. Reeves and Freeman have 22 of our team's 46 turnovers. As a team we have 24 assists on 76 made baskets, which is abysmal. Amazing thing is that we've only given up 28 assists on 87 made buckets.

We excel at making guard-oriented teams play us 1-on-1 on both ends . . . and then letting them beat us on both ends. That comes from having too many me players in the backcourt.

Adunk33

Staff member
And I stand by that assessment, based on what I've seen so far. He wants his numbers. I believe he came here thinking he could improve on his numbers from TSU. He's also supposed to be a plus-defender. Haven't seen that out of him yet. Until I see that, I don't want to see him trying to get his numbers. MSU's guards were a combined 22-42 / 6-15 from the field. Take Williams out of the mix (5-19 / 1-5) and MSU was 28-51 / 6-15 from the field. Our best defense seemed to be to get the ball to Williams.
Freeman said on the postgame that he came to ISU because this is a "more complete team" than he had at TSU. Then followed up by saying his role is really different here. At TSU is was supposed to be THE guy, scoring as much as possible. Here, that is obviously Reeves' role. Freeman mentioned his role here is to be a facilitator and to pick his spots offensively. Sounded fine with that. If he can get double digits in scoring and 5+ assists, with a couple turnovers, I'd take it. Of course, actions speak louder than words.

One thing I think that is misunderstood about Freeman is the "over dribbling." He definitely does, no doubt. But the reason he does is that he is the fastest player on his team by a lot. So if he's the primary ball handler and trying to push in transition, he's getting down the court a lot faster than everyone, especially the "bigs" on the team. It seems at those times when he looks up, he's expecting to have someone to pass to, but the rest of the team is at half court and he has to dibble back out and wait for them. That's something fixable, but I'd imagine its tough when natural instinct is saying "go as fast as possible."

DoubleDeuce

One thing I think that is misunderstood about Freeman is the "over dribbling." He definitely does, no doubt. But the reason he does is that he is the fastest player on his team by a lot. So if he's the primary ball handler and trying to push in transition, he's getting down the court a lot faster than everyone, especially the "bigs" on the team. It seems at those times when he looks up, he's expecting to have someone to pass to, but the rest of the team is at half court and he has to dibble back out and wait for them. That's something fixable, but I'd imagine its tough when natural instinct is saying "go as fast as possible."

I say no harm in running down and putting pressure on the defense and maybe finding a lane for an easy basket...as long and he's capable of pulling back and maintaining the dribble.

DWRedbird

Freeman said on the postgame that he came to ISU because this is a "more complete team" than he had at TSU. Then followed up by saying his role is really different here. At TSU is was supposed to be THE guy, scoring as much as possible. Here, that is obviously Reeves' role. Freeman mentioned his role here is to be a facilitator and to pick his spots offensively. Sounded fine with that. If he can get double digits in scoring and 5+ assists, with a couple turnovers, I'd take it. Of course, actions speak louder than words.

I think the problem with the dribbling is our offensive scheme often keeps him from using that dribble/quickness to go towards the basket. When he does rarely do we get a turn over, might miss a shot or get blocked on a layup or something, but rarely a turn over. When he start dribbling around the 3pt without going towards the basket, it is almost always trouble. The same goes for any of our guys. Its a product of the offensive scheme in my opinion and less of a product of the player/their ability.

Adunk33

Staff member
I think the problem with the dribbling is our offensive scheme often keeps him from using that dribble/quickness to go towards the basket. When he does rarely do we get a turn over, might miss a shot or get blocked on a layup or something, but rarely a turn over. When he start dribbling around the 3pt without going towards the basket, it is almost always trouble. The same goes for any of our guys. Its a product of the offensive scheme in my opinion and less of a product of the player/their ability.
We can agree. The offense is not good. I know we aren't going to get them but I'd love to see some more "traditional sets." 3 out, 2 in, off ball screens, back door cuts, driving to the basket, drawing fouls, kicking out when appropriate. A guy can dream....

DWRedbird

We can agree. The offense is not good. I know we aren't going to get them but I'd love to see some more "traditional sets." 3 out, 2 in, off ball screens, back door cuts, driving to the basket, drawing fouls, kicking out when appropriate. A guy can dream....

I want to live in that dream too..

Bird Friend

I can buy the 'pushing' it up the floor . . . but he also over-dribbles when he's on the wing, top of the key, in the lane . . .

BirdGrad2011

Hell I’d be fine with the modern 4 out 1 in like we sometimes do if we actually moved and did something. When the team is engaged and moving without the ball good things happen. See first half at EMU and second half against MSU. The problem is there is long droughts of zero movement or empty movement.

Bird Friend

Hell I’d be fine with the modern 4 out 1 in like we sometimes do if we actually moved and did something. When the team is engaged and moving without the ball good things happen. See first half at EMU and second half against MSU. The problem is there is long droughts of zero movement or empty movement.
Plus the number of times one player’s movement seems to run contrary to another, and end up getting in each other’s way.

Top Bottom