Murray State

SoCalRedbird

The offense looks more like the past few seasons rather than the past couple of games. Back to passing around the perimeter and settling for 3s, I suppose...

91Bird

With how much the attendance has plummeted, it’s becoming more of a question of how can ISU afford to not fire Muller. 3000-4000 fewer fans plus their concession money add up over the course of a season.

MadBird

The offense looks more like the past few seasons rather than the past couple of games. Back to passing around the perimeter and settling for 3s, I suppose...
This was my first reaction watching the first half - what happened to what looked like some nice offense in the first couple games, moving the ball, running some screens, etc. Back to working around the arc and then someone randomly launching. Reeves pressing, looking like he felt he had to make something happen and not wait for it to come to him. Bad passing, getting beat bad on the boards. Was not expecting this. Disappointed.

Bird Friend

Lost game in first half, especially when we let them close with a 12-3 run. Offense looked better in 2nd half, but still took some bad shots when we got on runs, killing our run. We didn't score in final 3:20. Rebounding was bad, MSU had 16 offensive rebounds, and overall beat us on the boards 42-29.

All of our guards dribble too damn high, even Freeman who isn't tall.

Redbird222

We were physically dominated on the boards. MSU had 16 offensive rebounds to our 22 defensive rebounds. A 42% offensive rebounding rate is insane.

I know Freeman came off the bench today but assuming he is a starter, you have to get more from the subs .... offensively and minutes. We can't continue to play Chatman 37 minutes a game.

I am not sure why when we set screens we rarely draw contact. It appears to be a combination of rolling to the basket prior to picking the player and our player with ball not driving the defender into the screen. Nevertheless, watch how some of the better teams drive the defender into the screen versus our offense.

I thought Murray was a better defending team than Eastern and we handled the pressure better. Unfortunately you can't expect better results if you improve in one or two aspects but take steps backwards in two others.

redbirdron1

Decent play in the 2nd half. My concern is we got NO bench thus far in season and a couple of r starters go silent at times.

Thus far, I'd say Dan's got a better team than he's had the past couple of seasons due to fair D and the emergence of Reeves. Couldn't figure
out why we didn't blend some Zone D in last nite to minimize their ability to Drive but as Dan explained on Post show - class schedules didn't allow
for kids to practice together this week. Hmm, sounds a bit odd but at least I get the no Zone........which might have caused some pause in the never ending strong drives to the hoop.

The Racers are pretty good. Muscular players and aggressive.

I'm sure enjoying the emergence of Reeves and Chatman. Sy is giving us a paint presence but he needs HELP.

redbirdron1

Bench - I look at Fleming, McChesney and Emon as our Top 3 rotation guys. Fleming's got a new role due to Freeman running the show but he's gotta force minutes by working on his jumper. He rebounds and plays ok D so he needs minutes.
Emon, come on Dan - the kid can drive strong to the hoop - like my buddy said, give him some set plays to get the monkey off his back and contribute offensively. It's just aggravating as the young man has become invisible.
McChesney - well he struggled on the boards against the strength/muscle of the Racers and he will all year I'd guess. Everybody tells us he's a shot maker in practice but as we all know.........that's against our Subs and not exactly a true eye test. And frankly, if he's a maker sit the kid down and give him some tough feedback about it being his time to deliver when the lights are on and they're selling popcorn It's D1 baby and your time is NOW.

And then there is Abdou. There are times I'd like to see him alongside Chatman and give us some additional rim protection. Abdou is in the doghouse as he's gotta work that out with the Dan......some asst. coach outta be able to mediate the deal and get this corrected.

DWRedbird

Didn't get to go in person as I was under the weather, but here is what I saw from TV:

--Our offense looks no different than it has in recent years. We dribble too much around the top, try to play 1x1 ball a lot and then jack up a garbage shot at some point. Sometimes it goes in, more times it does and we scramble to try and get back on D. The times where we look half way decent are when we are going to hoop and either driving/getting fouled or kicking out. Our two PGs have the ability to drive, but the offense we run, is completely counter intuitive. I think we have the skill to be good offensively, but our offensive scheme is designed it seems to play against almost all of our strengths.

--Our help side D looks 100% better from last year, but we still largely don't play defense with our feet. Play it with our body and hands and do a lot of swiping at the ball as guys drive by us. Skilled guards are going to slash on us a lot this year and eat us up.

--Our guards are attacking the defensive boards more. I appreciate this change and it has been the upside. The last few years a shot would go up and half our team would be running down the floor to start the break. This year we seem to know you need the ball to do that. That said yesterday we looked more timid on the boards and we were letting them drag our guys out from around the basket and instead of going towards it for the rebound we were trying to stay be guys and we got crushed on both ends of the floor. We ma not have 7 footers, but our length at every position should mean we are doing a much better job on the boards than we are.

--Reeves started off forcing it, but settled down a bit and looked more comfortable in the second half. The only thing I'd like to see with him is a PG setting him up for success more, rather than him try to create from 30ft out all the time.

--I agree with other posters, we need to stop playing Flemming and Freeman at the same time. Flemming is a PG/Facilitator and Freeman does the same. When they are there together one of them always looks like they aren't sure what to do off the ball.

--Chapman is looking pretty good. I'd actually like to see him get more aggressive and take it to the basket more, especially after going 6-6 from the FT line yesterday.

Top Bottom