UNCW

Redbird82

Gotta give them credir. A lot of not so good things, but down 15, they out scored them by 20 over the last 24 minutes. Reeves was outstanding. Could sure use more of an inside game, but need to enjoy every win

SgtHulka

Gotta give them credir. A lot of not so good things, but down 15, they out scored them by 20 over the last 24 minutes. Reeves was outstanding. Could sure use more of an inside game, but need to enjoy every win
Our inside offensive game is offensive.

Reeves was looking to have a rough night for the first 15 minutes. Made up for it

Ill take 1-0. Could be a UNI fan toni(waitsfortherantaboutwishingwehadtheirprogram)ght

Will wins this year cause more joy, or sweat here this season?

DWRedbird

Was good to be back in the arena again, even if not in my usual seats. Glad to get the win, though it was ugly for much of it.

--Reeves looks not only more polished overall but more confident on both ends of the floor.

--I thought Freeman was way too amped up in the first half and forced a lot. As he settled down and got into it the offense got better.

--Loved what I saw from our posts in the defensive post. If we can keep that up we are going to scare some teams.

--Our "offense" works best when we go toward the basket. When we don't we are mostly garbage.

--Really enjoyed seeing Tony involved on the sideline again.

Redbird82

Interesting night, UNI and Missouri State both lose. Nichols isn’t bad but a Southland team beating a Valley favorite? And SEMO, SIU losing to Little Rock? Not so good for the Valley, but Loyola won by 60 and INSU won on the road…

Bird Friend

1. Bradley goes to South Dakota State and loses 81-65 (down 47-26 at half)
  2. SIU goes to Little Rock and loses 69-66
  3. E-ville loses at Cincinnati 65-43
  4. Valpo hosts Toledo and loses 69-61
  5. UNI hosts Nicholls and loses 62-58
  6. MO State hosts SEMO and loses 99-94
  7. Indiana State goes to Green Bay and wins 81-77
  8. Loyola hosts Coppin State and wins quite non-gentilely 103-45
  9. Drake hosts Coe College and wins 87-61
Who would have ever guessed that the Birds would be one of the final 3 Valley teams to be unbeaten . . . :cool:

BTbird

Who would have ever guessed that the Birds would be one of the final 3 Valley teams to be unbeaten . . . :cool:
Yikes!

Redbird222

Reaves looks like a completely different player. I say we send the entire team to the pro workouts next year

Besides the new, confident Reeves, I was most impressed with the man to man defense. ISU didn't switch every screen and our bigs played the pick and roll much better. I don't know if it's Johnson, Wills, new players, or a combination, but it was nice to see. I realize NC Wilmington will not be world beaters, but their quickness would have shredded last year's man to man defense. This team appears to have better lateral movement. Let's hope this game is an indicator of what is to come defensively.

BTW the zone will be more effective when used in appropriate dosages. Its much easier to prepare for it when the other team knows your basically going to use it exclusively. Additionally last year's conference games were back to back with a week to prepare between different opponents. We were not fooling anyone and by the second game, if not sooner, the opposing team was very comfortable attacking the zone.

I am glad we got the victory and looking forward to see how we perform on our first road game this Friday.

redbirdron1

Good for Dan and the guys - nice win. Whatever Muller told them at half time seemed to loosen them up and they had some fun in the second half. I believe most realize we may have a treasure in McChesney once he settles in - the kid is having a blast playing as he has so much energy.
A couple of frustrations with a guy or 2 but they all seemed to contribute.

Reeves - what can you say. Just such a complete player now. Like my buddy said, he's an example of what can happen when a guy truly dedicates himself to improvement. I'd never seen him play D like he did last night - his offense is obviously AWESOME.

Observation - we've yet to see Emon and Howie do their thing. These r good ballplayers and will fight through current phase and be strong contributors whether it b off the bench or starting. Pleased with Chatman's effort - solid rebounder last eve. Happy for Abdou last night getting some recognition.

All good. Fingers crossed for upcoming ROAD Game. History is not on r side when we load the bus. Go Birds!!!

fdbird83

SEMO is coached by former SIU player and coach Brad Korn.

RBFANTOO

REEVES looked FANTASTIC! So much better than last year. Freeman is also the PG we have been missing for many moons. I am also thinking ISU will not have to play on Thursday in this seasons MVC tournament.

topiarydan

Big test @ EMich (who played well vs Indiana). EMU is coached by Stan Heath (former Arkansas and S Florida HC) and has 2 really good Frosh starters

SgtHulka

Agree on all the Reeves praise. His "jump" shot looks effortless and he can drive to the rim, pull up, or pass if they double him. He has transformed his game. Karl would be jelly. My only concern is that he drives to the rim and pulls a Bryson

gobirds85

Not a good start for the Valley. UNI, mo st and SIU? Wow!

DoubleDeuce

Big test @ EMich (who played well vs Indiana). EMU is coached by Stan Heath (former Arkansas and S Florida HC) and has 2 really good Frosh starters
Speaking of future opponents...I noticed that Okoro didn't start for St. Louis...only played 17 minutes. Meh.

Top Bottom