Welcome Back Abdou!

MadBird

So, one question and one point --

Is Reeves one of the scholarships? So, if he comes back we have one other? Or is it two plus Reeves? Guess that was three questions. :)

I don't disagree you'd like to have some new "better" blood coming in rather than guys from last year that didn't really produce. BUT, Adbou was a sophomore and not everyone produces until later in their career so with a belly full of Kool-Aid a guy can just hope he makes a good jump. Also, as I've pointed out on here before, he WAS the #2 blocked shot guy in the Valley last year. AND, he only played 14 minutes per game. So if he got 28 minutes per game and doubled his production from last season, he'd average 7.6 points per game and 5.4 rebounds per game and 2.8 blocks per game. Serviceable numbers, especially for a guard oriented team. That's w/o any production increase due to "improvement", "maturity", better spots in the offense thanks to and improved team offense, etc.

Gotta have some hope, otherwise you turn into, well, someone who comes on the board and gripes about every damn thing . . . .

Bird Friend

FWIW, there are still a lot of players available. Very few of the juco and HS kids we've been associated with have committed anywhere . . . yet. Of the 1550+ transfers, nearly 1/2 are still available (49%), nearly 100 3+ star players. This is such a weird f-ing recruiting year, I'm not sure what to expect or even hope for. But until all are committed, there are still chances the Birds can find exactly what the need. Again, not counting on getting a superstar, barely even hoping . . . but wild things are happening this year. I mean, a D2 player accepted an offer from Bill Self. A current D3 player is being courted by nobody but P5 schools . . . Weird f-ing year.

Most of the transfers we've been associated with HAVE committed elsewhere . . . but the 2 who committed to ISU weren't connected to us before the commit. So I'm giving up on even tracking the transfers Belcher or Johnson contact. It's taking too much time.

SgtHulka

FWIW, there are still a lot of players available. Very few of the juco and HS kids we've been associated with have committed anywhere . . . yet. Of the 1550+ transfers, nearly 1/2 are still available (49%), nearly 100 3+ star players. This is such a weird f-ing recruiting year, I'm not sure what to expect or even hope for. But until all are committed, there are still chances the Birds can find exactly what the need. Again, not counting on getting a superstar, barely even hoping . . . but wild things are happening this year. I mean, a D2 player accepted an offer from Bill Self. A current D3 player is being courted by nobody but P5 schools . . . Weird f-ing year.

Most of the transfers we've been associated with HAVE committed elsewhere . . . but the 2 who committed to ISU weren't connected to us before the commit. So I'm giving up on even tracking the transfers Belcher or Johnson contact. It's taking too much time.
I totally disagree!!! Do you think Birdfriend72 stopped reading yet? Yet another great post Timmy....I mean "Bird Friend"

CaliRdBrd

Good points and good info.

Birdfriend72

The Pantagraph Abdou article has a 5 minute 2019 Lewis Video. Long, lean, smooth handles, and range. He should be a player in the Valley.
As college coaches would say. They don’t judge anything on game changer stats or an edited video
Agree, he took back Ndiaye and Chatman because he wasn’t going to get anyone better. He claimed in the Pantagraph he’s holding out for someone great to fill the last two scholarships. Which is just bs. I think Ndiaye is fine as a role player, but he’s not going to be a difference maker.

What happens if Reeves doesn’t come back? We will be worse at the guard positions and worse in the post coming off a last place finish when every other team in the league is getting better.
So per this logic, every year you don't finish first you should clear the roster and start over with 13 new guys?
I would say every year you finish last you need to seriously re evaluate! If you have played the play in game 2-3 years in a row... you need to overhaul the roster!

DWRedbird

As college coaches would say. They don’t judge anything on game changer stats or an edited video

I would say every year you finish last you need to seriously re evaluate! If you have played the play in game 2-3 years in a row... you need to overhaul the roster!

So you would have asked for 13 new guys going into this new year?

Birdfriend72

So you would have asked for 13 new guys going into this new year?
Maybe not 13 new guys but you almost got 8 whether you like it or not. The problem you have now is the players control the drivers seat because they are looking for something other than what we can offer. I would much rather see the coach be aggressive and build his roster from ground up...even if this means cutting 8-9 players that are your weak links. It depends if the new kids make you better.

DWRedbird

Maybe not 13 new guys but you almost got 8 whether you like it or not. The problem you have now is the players control the drivers seat because they are looking for something other than what we can offer. I would much rather see the coach be aggressive and build his roster from ground up...even if this means cutting 8-9 players that are your weak links. It depends if the new kids make you better.

But then that leads to the issue of being young and/or inexperienced if you are cutting 8-9 guys if you don't finish where you want to. That's not to say that it won't happen in the current environment anyways, but I'm not sure that's where you want to be. That said, my original statement is more towards the idea that letting a player back in is bad because the team wasn't good last year. One player doesn't drive towards being bad, typically both a whole team and their coaches drive that. I lean more toward the coaches than players in most cases.

ricohill

The good news is with our additions we are projected to be 197th overall and 9th in the MVC!!!

Out of the cellar!!!
1A0E8044-160F-44B0-8CBC-42E7A92D945B.jpegAE2EBB59-4B6E-4C8E-A9AE-A8FE7C0CB0AC.jpeg

Bird Friend

But then that leads to the issue of being young and/or inexperienced if you are cutting 8-9 guys if you don't finish where you want to. That's not to say that it won't happen in the current environment anyways, but I'm not sure that's where you want to be. That said, my original statement is more towards the idea that letting a player back in is bad because the team wasn't good last year. One player doesn't drive towards being bad, typically both a whole team and their coaches drive that. I lean more toward the coaches than players in most cases.
It's perfect! Built in excuse for Dan and built in excuse to complain for the fan base. What could go wrong?

Birdfriend72

You are already there! We have been putting band aids on for 4 years If you are going to fix it- fix it right. Peel the bandaid off and stitch it up.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member

Except, you know, coaches can't go visit guys and watch them play so they ONLY have video. But sure, you do you.

MadBird

Did you watch him play this year. I doubt Abdou will make a difference. I hope I’m wrong.

Comment from MadBird several posts up this thread, not that I'm beating the drum for Abdou or am silly enough to think he's "the answer" for what this team needs. But IF he were to do nothing but get more PT and play like he did last year:

he WAS the #2 blocked shot guy in the Valley last year. AND, he only played 14 minutes per game. So if he got 28 minutes per game and doubled his production from last season, he'd average 7.6 points per game and 5.4 rebounds per game and 2.8 blocks per game. Serviceable numbers, especially for a guard oriented team. That's w/o any production increase due to "improvement", "maturity", better spots in the offense thanks to and improved team offense, etc.

So, you know, he could help.

Birdfriend72

Except, you know, coaches can't go visit guys and watch them play so they ONLY have video. But sure, you do you.
If muller had been here only for a year your reasoning would make sense! But, what’s the excuse for the years previous to covid? Maybe he is blind?

Top Bottom