2021 MVC Transfers

Bird Friend

Staff member
Passed the 1300 mark this morning. Texas Tech has been hit hard in the past couple days, and that's from a very successful program. Cincy fired Brannen last Friday based on 'discussions' with the 6 players that entered the portal. Brannen is fighting the basis for the firing.

45 schools have had at least 1/2 their rosters enter the portal, including UT Martin's entire roster (including walk ons) and all but 1 of Portland's roster. St. John's and Minnesota lead the power conferences with 8 each. Valpo's 7 leads the MVC. Mo State has none.

Adunk33

Passed the 1300 mark this morning. Texas Tech has been hit hard in the past couple days, and that's from a very successful program. Cincy fired Brannen last Friday based on 'discussions' with the 6 players that entered the portal. Brannen is fighting the basis for the firing.

45 schools have had at least 1/2 their rosters enter the portal, including UT Martin's entire roster (including walk ons) and all but 1 of Portland's roster. St. John's and Minnesota lead the power conferences with 8 each. Valpo's 7 leads the MVC. Mo State has none.
Jared Ridder Mo State's transfer out.

MadBird

And Minnesota already has 4 transfers IN, I believe. None earthshattering, but still part of the churn.

Adunk33

I'd like to update this prediction... The portal amassed 1100 today.. Lets bump to 1,350.
Oof... Gotta increase the prediction again. Portal now sits at 1330. It'll be interesting to see what happens over the next couple of weeks as kids start to commit. I'd assume the guys entering the portal will slow down significantly. On the other hand, maybe a kid feels like they are recruited over via the portal and decides to enter? Anyway, I'd be surprised if it doesn't go over 1400 which is 31% of all D1 scholarship players, with the average of over 4 transfers per school.

Just over 400 have announced their destinations for next season.

Adunk33

Sami Ismail from Loyola is transferring out.

Valparaiso G Daniel Sackey is transferring to New Orleans.

Last edited:

Bird Friend

Staff member
Oof... Gotta increase the prediction again. Portal now sits at 1330. It'll be interesting to see what happens over the next couple of weeks as kids start to commit. I'd assume the guys entering the portal will slow down significantly. On the other hand, maybe a kid feels like they are recruited over via the portal and decides to enter? Anyway, I'd be surprised if it doesn't go over 1400 which is 31% of all D1 scholarship players, with the average of over 4 transfers per school.

Just over 400 have announced their destinations for next season.
Seems like the portal was slowing down pretty well but has jumped really fast lately.

Adunk33

Now that this is officially official, I have to think some more guys enter. Dare I say we see 1500?

Adunk33

Am I understanding this correctly that guys like Sy, Keith, and Dedric may not end up being eligible? Surely they'll get a "hardship" waiver since two of them are "moving closer to home."
The Council expanded the one-time transfer exception to all sports, which means student-athletes who play baseball, football, men’s and women’s basketball, and men’s ice hockey have the same chance as all other student-athletes to transfer and play right away. If ratified by the board, the change is effective for student-athletes who have not transferred before and want to compete at a new school as early as this fall.

So, they have to check a box like reading the "terms and conditions" on a website? Hopefully they find out a better way to determine if tampering was involved. I have a hard time believing there was no tampering with DJ since he's already ready to commit. He's only been in the portal a couple weeks. You'd think players would take their time and explore all options.
Transferring college athletes also must meet progress-toward-degree requirements and be otherwise academically eligible to compete immediately after transfer, and both the head coach at the new school and the student-athlete must certify that no tampering took place.

Redbird Alum 2004

Am I understanding this correctly that guys like Sy, Keith, and Dedric may not end up being eligible? Surely they'll get a "hardship" waiver since two of them are "moving closer to home."

So, they have to check a box like reading the "terms and conditions" on a website? Hopefully they find out a better way to determine if tampering was involved. I have a hard time believing there was no tampering with DJ since he's already ready to commit. He's only been in the portal a couple weeks. You'd think players would take their time and explore all options.
I wonder what the punishment would be if there was find to be tampering. Can an opposing coach follow another teams player in Twitter?

JHBird

I kinda feel like the athletes should be free to move around but this is getting too crazy. Maybe the NCAA should institute some kind of transfer fee, so if a school takes a player they have to pay a certain amount, large enough to slow some of this crap down. For three years we paid for Keith Fisher, and yet he only played one year. That's a lot of money down the drain. Maybe then we could be like a good farm club, taking in underrated HS players and getting them some experience. At least when a school takes a player from us we can collect some money for the program.

Adunk33

Loyola Chicago/Abilene Christian commit F Franklin Agunanne reopened his recruitment. Portal will go over 1400 today.

Top Bottom