Good Bye FCS football respect....just like the XFL,WFL,AFL

crazzymark

So FCS cant compete with FBS, that means no more $$$$$$$ games , FCS will have to go the Pioneer League route, no scholarships . That will make all you MBB kool aid drinkers happy. There are already 8 sports going in the spring. This is the dumbest of all ideas ever. Oh play 3 games in the fall, have half your starters grad out and have a team of underclassmen. Did NDSU come up with this idea?
I can hear the fan chat now....so want to go to a FCS Football game or watch March madness, the NBA finals,the masters,spring training, hockey games, NFL draft, futball on the pitch,corn hole or The french open????? never going to be a vaccine, 60.5 million got sars and 3.5 mil died and nothing was closed , masked of fear set in your heart. Play the damn season, get over yourself and shake a hand and give a hug.

ISUBU

I think you're going to see the FBS following the FCS to spring football...at least as a plan.

Redbird222

"Available information suggests that persons with SARS are most likely to be contagious only when they have symptoms, such as fever or cough. "

This is different than COVIS 19 which be transmitted by asymptomatic people. Thus SARS is easier to contain than COVID 19. CoVID 19 is more much more contagious than SARS; however, not necessarily more deadly when contracted.

I am not sure where your getting your statistics on deaths from SARS but here is what I have found ( and I have seen similar statistics elsewhere).

"During November 2002 through July 2003, a total of 8,098 people worldwide became sick with severe acute respiratory syndrome that was accompanied by either pneumonia or respiratory distress syndrome (probable cases), according to the World Health Organization (WHO). Of these, 774 died. By late July 2003, no new cases were being reported, and WHO declared the global outbreak to be over. For more information on the global SARS outbreak of 2003, visit WHO’s SARS websiteExternal."

Chi-bird

I think FBS will also postpone to the spring, only to eventually cancel The season. College football without fans in the stands does not make for intriguing ratings....and the amount of contact/close proximity that takes place is another level. Also, there will be many attorneys chomping at the but to get a chance to represent these athletes. Financially-speaking, they universities and conferences run the risk of substantially hurting the brand of college football by playing in empty stadiums without the pageantry.

They might be much better off taking the year off and having an epic 2021 Reunion season.

Virginia Redbird

I think FBS will also postpone to the spring, only to eventually cancel The season. College football without fans in the stands does not make for intriguing ratings....and the amount of contact/close proximity that takes place is another level. Also, there will be many attorneys chomping at the but to get a chance to represent these athletes. Financially-speaking, they universities and conferences run the risk of substantially hurting the brand of college football by playing in empty stadiums without the pageantry.

They might be much better off taking the year off and having an epic 2021 Reunion season.

I don't know about the empty stadiums. I watched some of the English Premiership soccer games when they restarted their season. Empty stadiums but they pumped in crowd noise on the TV broadcast and the camera angles did not focus on the empty stands. I expected it to be pretty strange but watching at home it did not feel much different than any other game I have watched. It was all contrived of course with crowd noise and camera angles but you could still enjoy watching the games at home. I think they could do the same thing with football, probably even easier since most broadcast have incredibly tight shots of the QB and interior line, to begin with, and then just follow the ball. They just need to dump the obligatory crowd panning shots.
Ironically, finances are the only reason I think the Power 5 are so intent on pursuing this season. They don't want to lose the big TV money. They will lose money from the gate, concessions, etc. but the huge money that transformed college sports, in particular football, from a sport to the multi-billion dollar industry it is today is TV.
Anyone can sue for anything whether it is valid or ridiculous. There will probably be lawsuits but with the rules as they have been set, players can opt-out of playing this year (many have already) with no fear of losing scholarships. If a player chooses to play it can be argued that it was a personal choice and they had the option to sit out with no negative repercussions. Schools would probably just toss a few dollars their way in a settlement and still be big dollars ahead.
For the players, it will certainly be strange to be playing in 100,000 seat stadium that is empty. I saw first hand though that a professional television broadcast can make it seem like a close to normal game. I think the big boys (Power 5) may still cancel the 2020 fall season but this is all driven by money. I am interested to see what they will do over the next week or two. I don't think they have much time left to make that decision.

TBS_20

From what I've read it makes no sense to play in spring in the FBS (FCS still makes sense). The top players will opt because it will be less than two months until draft day so why risk injury. This will be leaving a poor product on the field. Why would Trevor Lawrence or any other already first-third round grade play and potentially mess up signing for millions in 45 more days? Not to mention a March-June football season leaves all of 45 days until training camp for 2021 opens. 2021 would have to be moved back at least a couple months, too. Just cancel it and make sure nobody loses a year of eligibility.

Seven

So FCS cant compete with FBS, that means no more $$$$$$$ games , FCS will have to go the Pioneer League route, no scholarships . That will make all you MBB kool aid drinkers happy. There are already 8 sports going in the spring. This is the dumbest of all ideas ever. Oh play 3 games in the fall, have half your starters grad out and have a team of underclassmen. Did NDSU come up with this idea?
I can hear the fan chat now....so want to go to a FCS Football game or watch March madness, the NBA finals,the masters,spring training, hockey games, NFL draft, futball on the pitch,corn hole or The french open????? never going to be a vaccine, 60.5 million got sars and 3.5 mil died and nothing was closed , masked of fear set in your heart. Play the damn season, get over yourself and shake a hand and give a hug.

You are very strange.

MadBird

It's been a little strange watching baseball w/o fans, but you get used to it. I laugh at the crowd noise, but you know, it kinda sounds "natural".

And you know, just my opinion, but auto racing - NASCAR and Indycar - has been running before very diminished crowds for a couple three years now or more, and you just get used to it. It's odd, but after all the action is on the track (or field or court).

That said, I would guess Power 5 will give it a go in the fall for the purposes of TV revenue. Bowl games I would say remain to be seen - hard to see some of those happening if those states are still "hot spots". 4 in California, 7 in Texas, 8 in Florida, 3 in Arizona.

SgtHulka

The SEC is looking for programs to join the conference so they can have a season. Here's our chance!

Bird Friend

Staff member
Dan Patrick is reporting the Big 10 and Pac 12 are going to cancel the fall football season. Dominos are starting to fall.

Done. Big 12 will follow. Key component of PAC 12 announcement is that they are postponing ALL sports until 2021 . . . which means basketball will begin late, if at all.

fourthandshort

As others already asked or inferred ... where do you get this crap ???

And even if you weren't off by 750,000 % on the high side, why would you then argue that masks weren't worn, as if that would make yor case for no masks for Covid outbreak ??? Which by the way is actually up to 5.3m cases and 165k deaths

You seriously need to stay away from political and social issues ... your sources are wacked. Please stick to football.

The SARS outbreak of 2003
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), a total of 8,098 people worldwide became sick with SARS during the 2003 outbreak. Of these, 774 died. In the United States, only eight people had laboratory evidence of SARS-CoV infection. All of these people had traveled to other parts of the world where SARS was spreading. SARS did not spread more widely in the community in the United States. See an update on SARS cases in the United States and worldwide as of December 2003.

Last edited:
Top Bottom