College Football 2020

Virginia Redbird

We now know that FCS, Div II, and Div III are essentially done for 2020. Maybe we have a bunch of spring football but we will have to wait and see what happens as the spring draws near. The Power 5 seems intent on playing mostly conference only schedules. Too many billions of dollars on the table for those schools and the players and coaches are simply replaceable cogs in their big money-making machines. Some players are opting out of the season from Power 5 teams with more to come I assume. I have not heard very much about the Group of 5. Those schools do not have the money of the big boys and some of their big paydays are gone with the Power 5 conference only schedules. I expect more teams are going to follow the Penn State lead and have no fans in the stadium. MLB seems to be having problems with positive virus results shutting down games and almost certainly more to come.
Our Redbirds are done for this fall so I was curious what everyone thinks we will see this fall. Will the big boys play some type of season and playoffs regardless? Will the group of 5 pack up and shut their season down? My own thoughts are that the Power 5 will go ahead with a conference only and have the Championship bowls. Too much TV money to not play and with no competition, the ratings should be pretty high. In the last few seasons, I watched the Redbirds and maybe a couple Notre Dame games but that was about it. With not Redbird Football this fall I will likely tune in to the Irish every week (sad the Irish and Navy will not play this year). The Group of 5 I don't know. I have no idea if their TV contracts are lucrative enough. I would expect their ratings may be better than normal though just because of the lack of options for fans. No HIgh School football, no FCS, no DIv II, and no Div III. Yeah, maybe I would tune in to an NIU v. Bowling Green on a Thursday night wherein a normal year I would not give it a thought.
This really sucks for all the players at all levels. The coaches will get paid and be there next season but the players only have so many years.

Redbird222

The MAC canceled their fall season. The dominos are starting to fall. I think the FBS season will be ultimately cancelled.

Top Bottom