If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

Here we go again...

The place to talk Redbird Men's Basketball
RedbirdSoxFan
Sophomore

Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:15 pm

in the 1993-94 season the Redbirds had finished the regular season winning 7 of their last 8 games. I was excited about going down to St. Louis again with hopes of winning the MVC Tournament, as was our 5 Seniors and 3 Juniors.
SR-Mike Vandegarde
SR-Thomas Hunter
SR-Todd Wemhoener
SR-Charles Barnes
SR-Scott Taylor
JR-David Cason
JR-Chad Altadonna
JR-Brian Kern
Starting point guard (JUCO Transfer) David Cason had finally settled into Division 1 basketball and had finished the regular season playing great basketball.
Another big piece to the Redbird basketball team was Markku Larkio, a Freshman from Finland. Markku Larkio also had settled into playing division 1 basketball and finished tied with Thomas Hunter as the Redbirds second leading scorer (10 points/game) and third leading rebounder (3.5 Rebounds/game). At 6-8 he was a tough matchup for the other small forwards in the MVC. What a career Markku was going to have @ ISU

So you can see why I was so excited heading down to St. Louis. After arriving in
St Louis it became known that Markku had announced to Coach Stallings that he was not going to return to Illinois State University after the semester ended. He was going back to Finland to play basketball. Coach Stallings decided to make the decision not to let Markku participate in the MVC Tournament. (I might add that the scholarship that opened up when Markku decided not to return went to Dan Muller).

Now I realize that this has completely different circumstances than the Milik situation. But unlike professional golf, professional tennis, or professional boxing, where you are only hurting yourself when you screw up and get disqualified, this is a team sport. When Coach Stallings made the decision not to let Markku play, he punished those seniors on the team by reducing their odds of making it to the NCAA Tournament (ISU lost to #5 seed Northern Iowa in the first round)

This season, Seniors Keyshawn Evans, Phil Fayne, & William Tinsley have the opportunity to have a great career ending season. So Milik Yarbrough's bad decisions may now cost these three outstanding seniors their hope of ever playing in the NCAA tournament.

So Dan has to possibly make a decision that to punish Milik, he may have to punish those three seniors, AND Redbird fans who have waited TWENTY YEARS for this season. But, unfortunately, it may end up like the 1993-94 Redbird season, or the 2001-02 (Tarise Bryson) Redbird season, or the 2012-13 (Nic Moore) Redbird season, or the 2017-18 (Mikyle McIntosh/Deontae Hawkins) Redbird season.

Maybe Dan won't have the opportunity to make the decision. The McLean County Circuit Court Judge may have already made the decision for him.
Last edited by RedbirdSoxFan on Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaveBird10
Freshman

Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:19 pm

Humdinger wrote:So first he's a punk who's going to prison someday, and now he got narc'd on??

Lots of scenarios, I admit. But gang, hang on to your jocks. I believe this is probably a pretty light situation but when you collectively compile MY...I think there's a reasonable chance he could be gone. Cause I guarantee you Dietz is in on this conversation.
Well he got suspended by the University not by Muller so this is different from his other previous problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Morans14
Freshman

Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:22 pm

DaveBird10 wrote:
Humdinger wrote:So first he's a punk who's going to prison someday, and now he got narc'd on??

Lots of scenarios, I admit. But gang, hang on to your jocks. I believe this is probably a pretty light situation but when you collectively compile MY...I think there's a reasonable chance he could be gone. Cause I guarantee you Dietz is in on this conversation.
Well he got suspended by the University not by Muller so this is different from his other previous problems.

I didn't read that. I read he was suspended from team activities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveBird10
Freshman

Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:24 pm

Morans14 wrote:
DaveBird10 wrote:

But I could be wrong could it have been university suspending him from ream activities and not muller? I think Dietz is in on this more now then before.

Humdinger
Senior

Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:39 pm

Sladerunningbear wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:42 pm
jbird wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:14 pm
Humdinger wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:47 am

I get the rip on UofI but Wayne McClain is as good of a human being as they come. RIP.
Not a criticism of McClain..........lamar Smith, Chester Frazier and other teammates failed to immediately contact cops or 9-1-1 for EMT assistance for Carlwell; instead, their first phone call was reportedly to Coach McClain. Doesn't excuse MY, but he wasn't the first college athlete in history to shrink from his civic and moral obligations at the scene of an accident. I would venture to say that there are many adults, including "professionals" in the workplace, who have not reacted appropriately in comparable circumstances. That is why God created defense attorneys.
You may be right, but God also created Old Style, which is why we are in this mess in the first place.

And the hits just keep on comin'! :lol:

ChiRedbirdfan
Senior

Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:49 pm

DaveBird10 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:24 pm
Morans14 wrote:
DaveBird10 wrote:Well he got suspended by the University not by Muller so this is different from his other previous problems.

But I could be wrong could it have been university suspending him from ream activities and not muller? I think Dietz is in on this more now then before.

I hope Dietz gets involved. University reputation/image importance supersedes the basketball team reputation/image and unfortunately the hoop team reputation/image has been dragging down the university. I like Muller in many ways but he has a poor record when it comes to recruiting/managing players capable of staying out of trouble and positively representing the university.

Humdinger
Senior

Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:00 pm

RedbirdSoxFan wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:15 pm
in the 1993-94 season the Redbirds had finished the regular season winning 7 of their last 8 games. I was excited about going down to St. Louis again with hopes of winning the MVC Tournament, as was our 5 Seniors and 3 Juniors.
SR-Mike Vandegarde
SR-Thomas Hunter
SR-Todd Wemhoener
SR-Charles Barnes
SR-Scott Taylor
JR-David Cason
JR-Chad Altadonna
JR-Brian Kern
Starting point guard (JUCO Transfer) David Cason had finally settled into Division 1 basketball and had finished the regular season playing great basketball.
Another big piece to the Redbird basketball team was Markku Larkio, a Freshman from Finland. Markku Larkio also had settled into playing division 1 basketball and finished tied with Thomas Hunter as the Redbirds second leading scorer (10 points/game) and third leading rebounder (3.5 Rebounds/game). At 6-8 he was a tough matchup for the other small forwards in the MVC. What a career Markku was going to have @ ISU

So you can see why I was so excited heading down to St. Louis. After arriving in
St Louis it became known that Markku had announced to Coach Stallings that he was not going to return to Illinois State University after the semester ended. He was going back to Finland to play basketball. Coach Stallings decided to make the decision not to let Markku participate in the MVC Tournament. (I might add that the scholarship that opened up when Markku decided not to return went to Dan Muller).

Now I realize that this has completely different circumstances than the Milik situation. But unlike professional golf, professional tennis, or professional boxing, where you are only hurting yourself when you screw up and get disqualified, this is a team sport. When Coach Stallings made the decision not to let Markku play, he punished those seniors on the team by reducing their odds of making it to the NCAA Tournament (ISU lost to #5 seed Northern Iowa in the first round)

This season, Seniors Keyshawn Evans, Phil Fayne, & William Tinsley have the opportunity to have a great career ending season. So Milik Yarbrough's bad decisions may now cost these three outstanding seniors their hope of ever playing in the NCAA tournament.

So Dan has to possibly make a decision that to punish Milik, he may have to punish those three seniors, AND Redbird fans who have waited TWENTY YEARS for this season. But, unfortunately, it may end up like the 1993-94 Redbirds

Interesting post. Side story. I was involved with the team and admin that year. Those seniors, all good competitive guys, were Bender's boys. Despite the late-season charge, underneath the surface, most of the team was rebelling against Stallings' ways and by that game...they were absolutely sick of him and the leaders were ready for it to be over...and Stallings knew it, too. Even though he liked them, he was ready to be rid of the senior group.

Anywho, with or without Marku...they were toast. Why do I remember this game so well? Cause I was in a convo with a higher up on game day (I worked The Tourney that weekemd for The Valley as an ISU rep) and I remarked how I thought we would pull the tourney out. His response?

NO WAY. WE ARE DONE TODAY. Watching their body language during the game, I clearly saw it and had an awakening. I was shocked that it took me so long to see it.

PS. Stallings made the right decision regarding Markku.

PSS. If ISU lets Milik go, it's on Milik and no one else.

JHBird
Junior

Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:59 pm

Humdinger wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:23 pm
JHBird wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:16 pm

Why doesn't the coach just tell him the only way he stays on the team is if he drives his car home and leaves it there with his mom? It's pretty obvious by now he's not mature enough to handle that kind of responsibility. That would be a win win for everybody.
Not bad, and I'll raise ya one. Redbirdfan.net could have a few Heineken's at Pub II and then we could find his car and friggin' permanently disable it. That sounds like more fun to me.
Count me in. I'm not that good with cars, but I could probably figure out how to deflate his tires. I'll let you mechanics take it from there.

JHBird
Junior

Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:03 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:28 pm
My guess is the car was caught on camera and belonged to one of the passengers who wasn't driving because they were too drunk. The cops got the license plate from the camera, ran it, got an address, and visited the passenger. The passenger not wanting to get in trouble for something he didn't do narc'd on Milik. That's my guess.
You should be a private investigator! I'd hire you. I'll add to your theory.
They were probably all drunk and poor Milik went scissors while the other two went with the reliable 'rock' counter move. That always worked for when I was in school.

Makes me wonder. What if he had really creamed her? Would he have left her to die? I had a friend that got nailed on a bike (at night). The driver just speed away. A few years ago I was pretty miffed that Hawkins didn't get a harsher penalty his last year, but he didn't hit anybody So is this situation with Milik worse than that? I guess they aren't really calling it a 'Hit and Run', or are they using a different term that's every bit as serious?

RedbirdSoxFan
Sophomore

Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:23 pm

JHBird wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
My guess is the car was caught on camera and belonged to one of the passengers who wasn't driving because they were too drunk. The cops got the license plate from the camera, ran it, got an address, and visited the passenger. The passenger not wanting to get in trouble for something he didn't do narc'd on Milik. That's my guess.
They were probably all drunk and poor Milik went scissors while the other two went with the reliable 'rock' counter move. That always worked for when I was in school.

Makes me wonder. What if he had really creamed her? Would he have left her to die? I had a friend that got nailed on a bike (at night). The driver just speed away. A few years ago I was pretty miffed that Hawkins didn't get a harsher penalty his last year, but he didn't hit anybody So is this situation with Milik worse than that? I guess they aren't really calling it a 'Hit and Run', or are they using a different term that's every bit as serious?
And the female, who was out at 2:30 in the morning, was totally wasted, stumbled into the car (which was going 5 MPH) and Milik freaked out and kept on going.

JHBird
Junior

Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:27 pm

RedbirdSoxFan wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:23 pm
JHBird wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:

And the female, who was out at 2:30 in the morning, was totally wasted, stumbled into the car (which was going 5 MPH) and Milik freaked out and kept on going.
Like in Caddyshack, Milik probably yelled at her for scratching his car.

Bird Friend
Senior

Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:42 pm

So lots of theories on here . . . but no conclusive evidence. It's interesting how many have tried and convicted Milik . . . I kinda thought that's what the justice system was supposed to do. I'm looking forward to the outcry when Dan/Dietz/County Clerk decides what happens next and they don't tell us exactly what Milik did/didn't do/thought about . . .

Fall theater season is almost upon us.

Birdswin
Sophomore

Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:03 pm

JHBird and a few others are JUMPING to conclusions without any facts. MY may very well may have a big problem - but, my experiences with the NPD would say otherwise.

The NPD does NOT even have proof he was driving - otherwise they would have issued other tickets. Something very similar to this happened to my oldest son - took about 4-5 months before it was assigned a court date - then about 10 minutes begin the trial the Asst. States Attorney just berated the NPD Officer in the hallway of the Law & Justice Center and said he was not going to embarrass himself or waste the Judge's time - dropped all charges right there - because they had no proof who was driving, just a photo of the car and license plate. However, they offered several times, leading up to the trial plea deals. They do not look at the evidence until just before the trial - until then they offer plea deals.

Mind you, we are now 6-0 versus the over zealousness of the NPD - with several different children. Amazing how it is the NPD singles out the younger people. That does not include my two nephews situation, when they happen to walk by a house that was being "staked out" - the reports by the NPD were so factually incorrect - thrown out by the judge - that episode caused my nephew to change his major - he is now an attorney in Chicago. The thing is - before these things go to trial - it is months down the road. Athletes do not have months to wait - thus, a plea deal is the only way to get it behind them in time for a season.

jbird
Freshman

Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:52 am

Sladerunningbear wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:42 pm
jbird wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:14 pm
Humdinger wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:47 am

I get the rip on UofI but Wayne McClain is as good of a human being as they come. RIP.
Not a criticism of McClain..........lamar Smith, Chester Frazier and other teammates failed to immediately contact cops or 9-1-1 for EMT assistance for Carlwell; instead, their first phone call was reportedly to Coach McClain. Doesn't excuse MY, but he wasn't the first college athlete in history to shrink from his civic and moral obligations at the scene of an accident. I would venture to say that there are many adults, including "professionals" in the workplace, who have not reacted appropriately in comparable circumstances. That is why God created defense attorneys.
You may be right, but God also created Old Style, which is why we are in this mess in the first place.
But God commanded Adam and Eve to not drink from the Tree of Piss.

RedbirdSoxFan
Sophomore

Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:07 am

What happens if the female who was (allegedly) struck by the vehicle does not press charges, and Milik did have a valid drivers license?

DoubleDeuce
Sophomore

Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:10 am

RedbirdSoxFan wrote:
What happens if the female who was (allegedly) struck by the vehicle does not press charges, and Milik did have a valid drivers license?
Then we make the final four.

Jsnhbe1Birds
Junior

Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:12 am

RedbirdSoxFan wrote:
Sometimes get a wealthy booster on the phone stat!

Buffett
Freshman

Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:57 am

by gosh that Milik is just unlucky with his 10 entries in Mclean court system since he has been here. excuses excuses

Adunk33
Senior

Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:14 am

DaveBird10 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:19 pm

Incorrect. He is suspended from basketball. He was in class yesterday, and went home to Zion last night. Maybe this will be like when Paris had to go home what his sophomore or jr year? His mom talked sense into him. This will be Miliks third (?) time having this talk with his mom.

Santa Cason
Sophomore

Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:35 am

Buffett wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:57 am
by gosh that Milik is just unlucky with his 10 entries in Mclean court system since he has been here. excuses excuses
Agreed. Bitch and moan all you want about the Normal PD, but he can’t stay out of trouble. Not sure how anyone can defend him at this point.

Trouble follows him. On and off the court.

• Information