QUOTES FROM COACH 02-11-18

The place to talk Redbird Women's Basketball
Bo-Peep
Freshman
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:41 pm

Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:43 am

QUOTES FROM COACH

"I thought we competed pretty well for three quarters. We were just incapable of making plays."

"Sunday's are all about energy and effort and I wasn't pleased with either one of those."

http://www.goredbirds.com/news/2018/2/1 ... 75-58.aspx

Birdswin
Sophomore
Posts: 234
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:58 pm

Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:23 pm

Look - Bo-Peep resurfaces after about a two week absence. Of course the Lady Birds winning made it difficult for the Peepster.

I am glad you found quotes from the Coach on Go Redbirds, like they were a big secret or something. Sounds like the coach is telling it like it is to me.

Bo-Peep
Freshman
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:41 pm

Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:00 am

Birdswin wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:23 pm
Look - Bo-Peep resurfaces after about a two week absence. Of course the Lady Birds winning made it difficult for the Peepster.

I am glad you found quotes from the Coach on Go Redbirds, like they were a big secret or something. Sounds like the coach is telling it like it is to me.

I missed you to Birdswin, but you sound a little ill. Are you in pain mentally or physically? Don't fear I have the remedy for both!

First let me address your sarcasm. Winning or losing is always a reflection on the coach! I find it strange you play 3-4 girls for 40 min. and then complain when they run out of gas in the fourth quarter. These girls work hard in practice and on the court. Even a race car have to make a pit stop to refuel.

So get your laptop, a big glass of juice. I will even pop you some popcorn. Set little Johnny and watch these mini serious videos. I will call them (Why the bench was recruited).



Deja Turner -


Ajai Simmons -


Frannie Corrigan -


Amaria Allen -


Zakiya Beckles -


(Injured list)
Morgan VanHyfte -



five - 2016 recruit and one - 2017 recruit

Is this the 10 - 20 points from our losing games?
Last edited by Bo-Peep on Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
isuquinndog
Site Admin
Posts: 669
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:24 pm
Location: Normal, IL
Contact:

Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:25 am

No need to get personal, we are all on the same team.
LET'S WIN THIS GAME!

Bo-Peep
Freshman
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:41 pm

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:27 am

isuquinndog wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:25 am
No need to get personal, we are all on the same team.
You are absolutely correct. :text-imsorry:

Bo-Peep
Freshman
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:41 pm

Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:53 am

Bo-Peep wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:27 am
isuquinndog wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:25 am
No need to get personal, we are all on the same team.
You are absolutely correct. :text-imsorry:
:laughing-rollingyellow: roll on in Birdswin time for a group hug, you are forgiven. :romance-grouphug:

Bo-Peep
Freshman
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:41 pm

Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:58 am

Interesting press conference 2/18/18 coach acknowledge running out of gas in fourth quarter.

http://goredbirds.com/index.aspx?path=wbball

User avatar
TIMMY
Sophomore
Posts: 418
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:28 pm
Location: 1050 W Addison

Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:39 am

Too bad some of the bench players haven't stepped up and earned playing time. When they do they will play.
Image

Love+basketball
Freshman
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:45 pm

Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:59 pm

TIMMY wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:39 am
Too bad some of the bench players haven't stepped up and earned playing time. When they do they will play.
Where is this comment coming from? Please tell me how do come to this assessment on the bench players. Game last week majority were given an opportunity and some floor experience. Majority of them looked good! Also in coaches last interview she mentioned the bench works just as hard on and off the court and even on their on time outside of practice. They work just as hard as the starters. In response to a reporter after this game asking about development and experience to bench :clap: :clap:

Reggie Redbird
Sophomore
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:02 pm

Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:39 pm

Love+basketball wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:59 pm
TIMMY wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:39 am
Too bad some of the bench players haven't stepped up and earned playing time. When they do they will play.
Where is this comment coming from? Please tell me how do come to this assessment on the bench players. Game last week majority were given an opportunity and some floor experience. Majority of them looked good! Also in coaches last interview she mentioned the bench works just as hard on and off the court and even on their on time outside of practice. They work just as hard as the starters. In response to a reporter after this game asking about development and experience to bench :clap: :clap:
There is a big difference though between working hard in practice and earning time in games it seems. With MBB, it seems to matter how hard DM feels you try versus your statistical results produced. For example, throwing a pass away or fouling a 3-pt shooter may earn one player a spot on the bench but not another.

Perhaps Gillespie has assessed performance of particular players and it isn't up to what she feels is competitive during a game. If not that, you're saying coach is intentionally not playing certain players for a reason, right?

Love+basketball
Freshman
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:45 pm

Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:48 pm

Reggie Redbird wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:39 pm
Love+basketball wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:59 pm
TIMMY wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:39 am
Too bad some of the bench players haven't stepped up and earned playing time. When they do they will play.
Where is this comment coming from? Please tell me how do come to this assessment on the bench players. Game last week majority were given an opportunity and some floor experience. Majority of them looked good! Also in coaches last interview she mentioned the bench works just as hard on and off the court and even on their on time outside of practice. They work just as hard as the starters. In response to a reporter after this game asking about development and experience to bench :clap: :clap:
There is a big difference though between working hard in practice and earning time in games it seems. With MBB, it seems to matter how hard DM feels you try versus your statistical results produced. For example, throwing a pass away or fouling a 3-pt shooter may earn one player a spot on the bench but not another.

Perhaps Gillespie has assessed performance of particular players and it isn't up to what she feels is competitive during a game. If not that, you're saying coach is intentionally not playing certain players for a reason, right?
My question was how does Timmy say the bench hasn’t stepped up? Just find that a little disappointing to the work they put in as expressed by the Coach in the post game interview. Whatever the Coach Gillespie assessment is, I have not seen any team that plays all 10-15 players or their full roster. So does that mean they haven’t stepped up?

Generally most coaches do have a better rotation strategy to maintain their main players freshness...Coach has maintained the same strategy and 6-7 rotation all season and has not deviated much off that in the development and competitative experience for a deeper rotation. Some games are situational so some times you do need to change. I was just pointing out the bench got a few min on Sunday and that they had a good showing, executed, scored and had court presence that was noticeable from the commentators and a reporter in the post game interviews that asked about the development/ investment into the bench. :think: :think:

ISU85
Freshman
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:27 pm

Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:32 pm

Considering the last four years and the fact the team is at .500 with ten days left in the season, I think it's going to be a harder sell that this coach doesn't know what she is doing.

How many wins do you think the team would have if they adhered to your playing time desires?

MadBird
Sophomore
Posts: 336
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:50 pm
Location: Madison, Wisconsin

Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:15 pm

I'm kind of in the middle on this, well, not really. I see the point in playing more people, that players benefit from PT, theoretically you don't get better w/o getting on the court. But, you know, the coach is not going to sit players who would help the team, unless there is some other issue (attitude, discipline, etc.).

This year, factoring in Goods missing 8 games due to injury, Coach G has used an 8 player rotation, with #7 and #8 averaging 8 minutes per game. The bench - Beckles, Turner, Allen, and Simmons - have gotten 2-4 minutes in 6 games.

Last year, Beckles, Turner, and Allen, played in about half the games, averaging about 5 minutes per game. The previous coach used an 8 player rotation, with #8 averaging 5 minutes per game (Van Hyfte, who is injured this year so hasn't played).

So, you know, the same ladies who didn't play last year, didn't play this year. Simmons is a freshman, so she wasn't here last year. Van Hyfte is injured this year, so she might have gotten her 5 mpg or even more if she was available.

The rotation is about the same, a little shorter, but not that much different. So, I say, let's drop all of that discussion and look forward to a great incoming freshman class and what should be, next year, a longer bench!!

Love+basketball
Freshman
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:45 pm

Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:44 pm

MadBird wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:15 pm
I'm kind of in the middle on this, well, not really. I see the point in playing more people, that players benefit from PT, theoretically you don't get better w/o getting on the court. But, you know, the coach is not going to sit players who would help the team, unless there is some other issue (attitude, discipline, etc.).

This year, factoring in Goods missing 8 games due to injury, Coach G has used an 8 player rotation, with #7 and #8 averaging 8 minutes per game. The bench - Beckles, Turner, Allen, and Simmons - have gotten 2-4 minutes in 6 games.

Last year, Beckles, Turner, and Allen, played in about half the games, averaging about 5 minutes per game. The previous coach used an 8 player rotation, with #8 averaging 5 minutes per game (Van Hyfte, who is injured this year so hasn't played).

So, you know, the same ladies who didn't play last year, didn't play this year. Simmons is a freshman, so she wasn't here last year. Van Hyfte is injured this year, so she might have gotten her 5 mpg or even more if she was available.

The rotation is about the same, a little shorter, but not that much different. So, I say, let's drop all of that discussion and look forward to a great incoming freshman class and what should be, next year, a longer bench!!
Agree....Agreed....it will be a longer bench next year! No guaranty she will go beyond 6-8 rotation next year with a full roster and an unexperinced freshman class. Just thought Timmy’s statement comes off as judgementally offensive and a discredit of the work the bench puts in on and off the court....on average most coaches do not clear the bench....not even Uconn but that doesn’t mean the other half of the team didn’t step up...I am done ✅ moving on to cheer the TEAM on :clap: :clap: :clap:

Bo-Peep
Freshman
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:41 pm

Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:17 am

We have 3 really tough games to go. As long as the team stay focus, coach bring out the secret weapons, eliminate the 40 + 40 minutes - equal 80 minutes of no offense in a single game. The lady Redbirds should be fine and can end this season with a powerful statement! :clap:

User avatar
TIMMY
Sophomore
Posts: 418
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:28 pm
Location: 1050 W Addison

Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:00 am

Playing time is earned. Head to head at practice. Show you'er better and you will play. It's called stepping up. You actually take a step up and earn playing time over someone else.

My daughter's a runner. 60 miles a week. Works her ass off. But her running in the meet is determined by the stopwatch. Faster runners run. Better players play. Practice is basketballs stopwatch.

There are no secrets.
Image

Bo-Peep
Freshman
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:41 pm

Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:35 am

TIMMY wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:00 am
Playing time is earned. Head to head at practice. Show you'er better and you will play. It's called stepping up. You actually take a step up and earn playing time over someone else.

My daughter's a runner. 60 miles a week. Works her ass off. But her running in the meet is determined by the stopwatch. Faster runners run. Better players play. Practice is basketballs stopwatch.

There are no secrets.
You are entitled to that opinion! :shhh:

User avatar
TIMMY
Sophomore
Posts: 418
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:28 pm
Location: 1050 W Addison

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:01 am

Bo-Peep wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:35 am
TIMMY wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:00 am
Playing time is earned. Head to head at practice. Show you'er better and you will play. It's called stepping up. You actually take a step up and earn playing time over someone else.

My daughter's a runner. 60 miles a week. Works her ass off. But her running in the meet is determined by the stopwatch. Faster runners run. Better players play. Practice is basketballs stopwatch.

There are no secrets.
You are entitled to that opinion! :shhh:
So, you're saying playing time should not be earned? :shhh:
Image

Love+basketball
Freshman
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:45 pm

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:56 am

TIMMY wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:01 am
Bo-Peep wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:35 am
TIMMY wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:00 am
Playing time is earned. Head to head at practice. Show you'er better and you will play. It's called stepping up. You actually take a step up and earn playing time over someone else.

My daughter's a runner. 60 miles a week. Works her ass off. But her running in the meet is determined by the stopwatch. Faster runners run. Better players play. Practice is basketballs stopwatch.

There are no secrets.
You are entitled to that opinion! :shhh:
So, you're saying playing time should not be earned? :shhh:
Timmy agree and disagree...so in this case disagree to your blanket statement on playing time is earned it is not that cut and dry at this level. What you reference is high school and AAU level. This is not Coach Strategy and way as we can see. Coach has set a strategy that was decided early on in the season and she has not deviated from it all this season. To say the bench has not stepped up in pratice is borderline offensive/ disparaging to their hard work on and off the court per their positive demonstration last Sunday and ALL my previous points above in posts. Even the full UConn wbb doesn’t clear the roster/bench but that doesn’t mean they didn’t step up in practice Coach has a strategy and that what it is...

@ Bo peep she it not changing her strategy at the end of the season nor for conference tournament no matter what even with injuries..so let's just cheer theTEAM on and look forward to a longer becnch next season :clap: :clap: :clap:

User avatar
TIMMY
Sophomore
Posts: 418
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:28 pm
Location: 1050 W Addison

Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:48 pm

Well that's a big change in philosophy she's gone thru. She went 9 deep over 12 minutes last year. 8 players over 16 minutes the year before that. And AAU is pay to play. Not pay to watch. Keep trying.
Image

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest