Offseason Wish List

The place to talk Redbird Football

Moderator: Football Moderators

BallwinBird2012
Freshman
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:47 am

Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:39 pm

cpacmel wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:40 pm
Kaufman building isn’t going anywhere fellas. Even when an indoor facility eventually comes.
You're probably right, and I think Kaufman has served the team pretty well, but I do think it may need a bit of a facelift in the somewhat near-ish future. Locker room is ok, not great. The player "lounge" area leaves a little to be desired. Equipment staff area is ummm....snug. Little things, sure, but college football has turned into an arms race, even at the FCS level.

Someone had told me years ago that the original plans for Kaufman were larger and that it was supposed to stretch farther into the north end zone, but ran out of $$$ Anyone know if there's any truth to that. JW.

BallwinBird2012
Freshman
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:47 am

Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:45 pm

Birdfan 4Life wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:19 pm
BallwinBird2012 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:07 pm
fourthandshort wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:52 am
With regard to moving the field a few yards further south, I;m starting to think not. I looked more closely at the new east side placement and noticed 2 things that would suggest the field will NOT be moved and that Kaufman will probably come down at some point:
Interesting take on Kaufman coming down. I've wondered myself what all will be included with the proposed IPF. Lots of the indoor facilities are becoming more than just an indoor practice field, but are also including things like locker rooms, weight rooms, and coaches offices. It would certainly be nice to have an "all inclusive" football facility, although that would obviously drive the cost WAY up and move the timeline back that much farther.

Something even remotely close to this would be sweet...

http://timetoshinememphis.com/galleries#football
Found some information on the Time to Shine Campaign Memphis is doing for Basketball and Football that BallwinBird mentioned above.

https://www.athleticbusiness.com/gym-fi ... ility.html
Looks like Memphis was trying to get the football IPF funded for the last 5 years. I don't know if this means that they were only able to raise $600,000 for the Football Facility referenced below during that time.

"The school held a groundbreaking ceremony for the indoor practice facility in April. In August, the university's Board of Trustees approved $10 million in debt financing from the Tennessee State School Bond Authority in order to start construction of the indoor practice facility."

http://www.commercialappeal.com/story/s ... 536931001/
This article states they used $600,000 in gifts to cover the full figure of $10.6 Million. "The debt will be backed by the American Athletic Conference revenue, and potentially, university support that would be repaid by the athletic departments Time to Shine fundraising campaign".


ISU Athletics Goal for the Redbirds Rising Campaign is $34 Million within the total $150 Million goal by June 2020 (the university campaign had $106 Million from July 2013 until it was announced in September). This would have me believe that if the overall campaign is successful and Athletics portion is successful, they will see some of their "Greatest Needs" met by the Board of Trustees. I would be very disappointed if nothing is announced by June 2020 on the Indoor Practice Facility front.

I'll continue to give money to the IPF each year hoping it happens. It would be nice if Athletics reached out to every Student Athlete that ever donned the Red and White, regardless of sport, and asked them to support this Athletic Department project that would benefit every single sport at ISU!!!
I was being somewhat sarcastic in my original post, but I really do think coming up with some legit renderings of the IPF might help raise some funds a little quicker. People may be more willing to give if they can actually see what it is they are giving to.

Redbirdfan21
Freshman
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:22 pm
Location: Springfield, IL
Contact:

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:38 pm

BallwinBird2012 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:39 pm
cpacmel wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:40 pm
Kaufman building isn’t going anywhere fellas. Even when an indoor facility eventually comes.
You're probably right, and I think Kaufman has served the team pretty well, but I do think it may need a bit of a facelift in the somewhat near-ish future. Locker room is ok, not great. The player "lounge" area leaves a little to be desired. Equipment staff area is ummm....snug. Little things, sure, but college football has turned into an arms race, even at the FCS level.

Someone had told me years ago that the original plans for Kaufman were larger and that it was supposed to stretch farther into the north end zone, but ran out of $$$ Anyone know if there's any truth to that. JW.
This is accurate. I worked for the FB team in the Laurent Robinson years. My boss told me the exact same thing. The bottom level (not 100% sure about the top) was supposed to stretch over into the hill behind the north end zone. They were running low on money and apparently it cost an ass load of money to move all the wiring behind the scoreboard and that’s were they made the cut. Unfortunately, the FB equipment room got screwed. That thing is so damn small! A lot of the equipment is in that PODS that’s outside the stadium.

BallwinBird2012
Freshman
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:47 am

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:32 pm

Redbirdfan21 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:38 pm
BallwinBird2012 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:39 pm
cpacmel wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:40 pm
Kaufman building isn’t going anywhere fellas. Even when an indoor facility eventually comes.
You're probably right, and I think Kaufman has served the team pretty well, but I do think it may need a bit of a facelift in the somewhat near-ish future. Locker room is ok, not great. The player "lounge" area leaves a little to be desired. Equipment staff area is ummm....snug. Little things, sure, but college football has turned into an arms race, even at the FCS level.

Someone had told me years ago that the original plans for Kaufman were larger and that it was supposed to stretch farther into the north end zone, but ran out of $$$ Anyone know if there's any truth to that. JW.
This is accurate. I worked for the FB team in the Laurent Robinson years. My boss told me the exact same thing. The bottom level (not 100% sure about the top) was supposed to stretch over into the hill behind the north end zone. They were running low on money and apparently it cost an ass load of money to move all the wiring behind the scoreboard and that’s were they made the cut. Unfortunately, the FB equipment room got screwed. That thing is so damn small! A lot of the equipment is in that PODS that’s outside the stadium.
Worked for the team the last year of Denver and first year of Spack and it sounds like absolutely nothing changed between your time there and mine. Two people can't stand side by side in that equipment room. I think I saw the pod on one of the broadcasts this year, so don't think they've come up with a long term solution there...

Reggie Redbird
Freshman
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:02 pm

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:15 am

A suggestion to consider as we're under a major campaign: put the naming rights for Kaufman on the block as part of the campaign. If the money was not delivered as was agreed upon, the department has every right to seek out a new donor/corporate partner. Use the money to expand Kaufman in some way or put it toward the indoor facility or the football program. Keep the Kaufman name on something, but the upgraded building could obtain a new name.

I'm glad we got one OL aboard, but I wouldn't mind adding a second unless our coaches think for sure we have enough depth and will see enough growth in our guys to have a great starting 5 and at least 2 solid back-ups. I look back to when we added Jermaine Barton (6'7" - 315) and Josh Aladenoye (6'6", 325) in 2012. I'd take someone like that in a heartbeat, and hopefully someone becomes available like that. I know though we have had some homegrown guys in there, ex. Cam Lee, who have developed from year 1 as a redshirt.

Nowinsky always seems to come through with someone on the DL. It's usually a passrusher or DL/LB combo, but we've had some good ones. Here's hoping we can find some talent to bolster the DL and secondary.

User avatar
TIMMY
Freshman
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:28 pm
Location: 1050 W Addison

Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:04 am

The Kaufman Family donated 1.5 million towards the building. At the time it was the largest donation athletics had ever received. Probably it still is. Maybe we keep the name where it belongs.
Image

JHBird
Freshman
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:40 pm

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:41 pm

GratefulRed wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:44 am
Wait until Uhigh moves down the street, tear down the existing building, Kaufman, and the glass building and close in the north end with football building, indoor practice facility, and giant wind block for days like the NDSU game.
You could make some nice balcony seats/suites off of the offices for recruiting weekends/visits. Weight room and equipment facilities looking out to field like U of I student section.

I would post an image but cant figure it out. Is there a way to add an attachment to a post?
:text-+1:

I want you as our next AD.

User avatar
TIMMY
Freshman
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:28 pm
Location: 1050 W Addison

Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:24 pm

It's a great idea. When they breaking ground on that new Uhigh?
Image

Redbirdfan21
Freshman
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:22 pm
Location: Springfield, IL
Contact:

Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:46 am

BallwinBird2012 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:32 pm
Redbirdfan21 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:38 pm
BallwinBird2012 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:39 pm


You're probably right, and I think Kaufman has served the team pretty well, but I do think it may need a bit of a facelift in the somewhat near-ish future. Locker room is ok, not great. The player "lounge" area leaves a little to be desired. Equipment staff area is ummm....snug. Little things, sure, but college football has turned into an arms race, even at the FCS level.

Someone had told me years ago that the original plans for Kaufman were larger and that it was supposed to stretch farther into the north end zone, but ran out of $$$ Anyone know if there's any truth to that. JW.
This is accurate. I worked for the FB team in the Laurent Robinson years. My boss told me the exact same thing. The bottom level (not 100% sure about the top) was supposed to stretch over into the hill behind the north end zone. They were running low on money and apparently it cost an ass load of money to move all the wiring behind the scoreboard and that’s were they made the cut. Unfortunately, the FB equipment room got screwed. That thing is so damn small! A lot of the equipment is in that PODS that’s outside the stadium.
Worked for the team the last year of Denver and first year of Spack and it sounds like absolutely nothing changed between your time there and mine. Two people can't stand side by side in that equipment room. I think I saw the pod on one of the broadcasts this year, so don't think they've come up with a long term solution there...
I had never seen a real college EQ room until our first road game my sophomore year--- at KANSAS STATE (damnit we should have won that game). Holy crap was I in for a shock. They had a bigger EQ room then ISU's entire locker room area. ISU's needs expanded badly!

fourthandshort
Junior
Posts: 726
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:06 pm

Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:43 am

let's start a pool on tearing down Kaufman ... if and when. I think new east side was constructed with Kaufman tear down being part of a Hancock 5.0 idea.

Hancock 2.0 .. east side
New Turf
IPF
Hancock 3.0 .. south end zone
Hancock 4.0 .. west side with Horton tear down
Hancock 5.0 .. north end zone, tear down Kaurfman, complete the horseshoe look, and add section 100 to east side, then turn corner to complete that end of horse shoe

I would bet money on this being the long term plan. ISU spends money carefully .. this would be in line to build as needed.

Look at picture of east side from inside stadium .. stands are not centered to field, but the entry ways are centered to field .. this is not an accident or oversight. It is for a reason.
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!

redbirddad10
Freshman
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:30 pm

Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:14 pm

Haven't followed this too closely but outside of the need to update Horton and include some kind of indoor facility I can not see any reason to expand Hancock. ISU can't come close to filling Hancock as it is? I have often commented on my feelings regarding the realities of College Football Attendance but I continue to be especially disappointed by the dismal attendance at Hancock. Why would ISU expand Hancock? Update Horton, create some kind of indoor facility and invest in what will impact recruiting....Marketing the program and filling the Stadium on game days. That will have the largest impact on recruits, when they come to visit seeing a packed Stadium and excited fan base.

fourthandshort
Junior
Posts: 726
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:06 pm

Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:28 pm

redbirddad10 wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:14 pm
Haven't followed this too closely but outside of the need to update Horton and include some kind of indoor facility I can not see any reason to expand Hancock. ISU can't come close to filling Hancock as it is? I have often commented on my feelings regarding the realities of College Football Attendance but I continue to be especially disappointed by the dismal attendance at Hancock. Why would ISU expand Hancock? Update Horton, create some kind of indoor facility and invest in what will impact recruiting....Marketing the program and filling the Stadium on game days. That will have the largest impact on recruits, when they come to visit seeing a packed Stadium and excited fan base.
Had a pretty good year at ticket office ... highest average per game in Spacks 9 years. Idea above though was just to talk about stages and what they are planning, if ticket demand is there. But also to create additional capacity for big event games to try to bump attendance closer to 15k for those games. Couple posters posted ideas about temporary end zone construction with ground level and above booths, seating, etc.

09-02-17 BUTLER W 45-0 1-0-0 0-0-0 3:04 10,840 .. better team would draw more
09-30-17 INDIANA STATE W 24-13 4-0-0 2-0-0 3:10 13,391 .. sell out for non event game
10-21-17 #4 SOUTH DAKOTA W 37-21 5-2-0 3-1-0 3:31 12,113 .. homecoming, probably a near sell out if you count all tickets sold, but some people just don't make it into stadium as much for homecoming
11-04-17 #15 WESTERN ILLINOIS L 14-31 6-3-0 4-2-0 3:11 13,192 .. family day, near sell out
11-18-17 #4 NORTH DAKOTA STATE L 7-20 6-5-0 4-4-0 2:46 7,664 .. students gone for break, very bad weather day

So we had 5 games with 57,200, and averaged 11,440 ... though we had just 5 home games, so 1 less non-event gam to bring down average a bit. Say we had a 6th home game at 8,800 .. we still would have average 11k for year .. also a high water mark for Spack tenure.

Here is average attendance per game since 2009: 2016 was 10.2k, 2015 was 9.2k, 2014 was 9.2k, 2013 was 10.1k (1st year Hancock 2.0), 2012 was 6.5k (east side demolition), 2011 was 8.1k, 2010 was 7.0k, 2009 was 9.6k .. still had the "zoo" going back then.
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!

User avatar
TIMMY
Freshman
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:28 pm
Location: 1050 W Addison

Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:31 am

Our athletes should come first!

I would like to see a temporary structure similar to USC in the south end zone and a bubble for winter. Inexpensive and doable. The end zone structure, while temporary, could bring in some good dollars Jack the attendance up to 16,000 and take it from there. Pie in the sky tear down Uhigh and build the taj mahal stuff is a wonderful thought. But let's be realistic. No one would even hazard a guess as to when uhigh was going to bite the dust.

Let's take care of our current athletes. They deserve it. Throw up a dome. Let em throw the ball or work on their bucket steps or run some sprints in the winter.
Image

fourthandshort
Junior
Posts: 726
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:06 pm

Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:20 am

TIMMY wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:31 am
Our athletes should come first!

I would like to see a temporary structure similar to USC in the south end zone and a bubble for winter. Inexpensive and doable. The end zone structure, while temporary, could bring in some good dollars Jack the attendance up to 16,000 and take it from there. Pie in the sky tear down Uhigh and build the taj mahal stuff is a wonderful thought. But let's be realistic. No one would even hazard a guess as to when uhigh was going to bite the dust.

Let's take care of our current athletes. They deserve it. Throw up a dome. Let em throw the ball or work on their bucket steps or run some sprints in the winter.
Im still for this kind of transitional affordable short-term plan. My Hancock 2.0 - 5.0 conjecture was only conjecture about how/why they positioned the east side the way they did. Realistically, it could take minimum of 10 years before north end zone horseshoe was completed .. probably longer. But again, my only point is how they chose to position the east side .. which would suggest Kaufman would NOT be torn down for at least 10 years. Fact that they ran out of funds and didn't do what they wanted, makes it more likely they will tear it down for Hanock 5.0.

That said, I love the temporary south end zone construction ideas for big event games .. help bump those games to 15k+ to expand the fan base. I also like the moveable bubble idea .. great stop gap and very affordable .. even after we get brick and mortar IPF. All of this gets us what we need now .. and also buys us time affordably with good ROI while getting us closer to Hancock 3.0 as fan base continues to slowly build - attendance is on the rise - need to take advantage now. Coaches, players, and recruits would be much more inclined to come to ISU from warm weather states.
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!

User avatar
TIMMY
Freshman
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:28 pm
Location: 1050 W Addison

Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:50 pm

fourthandshort wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:20 am
TIMMY wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:31 am
Our athletes should come first!

I would like to see a temporary structure similar to USC in the south end zone and a bubble for winter. Inexpensive and doable. The end zone structure, while temporary, could bring in some good dollars Jack the attendance up to 16,000 and take it from there. Pie in the sky tear down Uhigh and build the taj mahal stuff is a wonderful thought. But let's be realistic. No one would even hazard a guess as to when uhigh was going to bite the dust.

Let's take care of our current athletes. They deserve it. Throw up a dome. Let em throw the ball or work on their bucket steps or run some sprints in the winter.
Im still for this kind of transitional affordable short-term plan. My Hancock 2.0 - 5.0 conjecture was only conjecture about how/why they positioned the east side the way they did. Realistically, it could take minimum of 10 years before north end zone horseshoe was completed .. probably longer. But again, my only point is how they chose to position the east side .. which would suggest Kaufman would NOT be torn down for at least 10 years. Fact that they ran out of funds and didn't do what they wanted, makes it more likely they will tear it down for Hanock 5.0.

That said, I love the temporary south end zone construction ideas for big event games .. help bump those games to 15k+ to expand the fan base. I also like the moveable bubble idea .. great stop gap and very affordable .. even after we get brick and mortar IPF. All of this gets us what we need now .. and also buys us time affordably with good ROI while getting us closer to Hancock 3.0 as fan base continues to slowly build - attendance is on the rise - need to take advantage now. Coaches, players, and recruits would be much more inclined to come to ISU from warm weather states.
I'm with ya 4th!
Image

User avatar
Birdfan 4Life
Freshman
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:10 pm
Location: Somewhere Out West

Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:01 pm

Couple thoughts:

ISU isn’t touching Horton or U-High anytime soon. What they may try and touch in the next decade is Metcalf. That is tons of prime Academic land that could be used for a School of Engineering that’s being floated and other cramped departments needing more space.

I agree with Fourth’s needs based priority list. It’s probably a 25 year plan at this point working the New Field, IPF, South Horseshoe, West Stands, North Stands. If we ever get to the point of having to tear Kaufman down, we are probably talking a 25-30k stadium and FBS football or multiple FCS NCAA Championships.

I also agree with doing something for our student athletes now. They all use Horton, but the hard surface is not conducive for repeated football practice. After the new turf is replaced I could see doing a bubble because you can never have to much space.

I would prefer aggressive fundraising/plans/sketches/“no gift is to small” approach blasted to ALL sports supporters about the IPF potential!

A video from greats Doug Collins, DA Weibring, Boomer Grigsby, Laurent Robinson, Cam Meredith, Nate Palmer, Shelby Harris, Neil Cotts, Paul DeJong, Brock Stewart, Christian Goy, Tim Glover, and on and on saying The Time Is Now for former Athletes and Fans to leave their mark for future Athletic success!
"“I think Illinois State has a lot of potential in football that has been untapped. When it comes time to move up to [the Bowl series level], it will happen, I truly believe that with my heart." - Al Bowman April 15, 2011

redbirddad10
Freshman
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:30 pm

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:34 am

As always 4th does a great job of laying out the facts. Glad to hear the attendance has grown but it still doesn't appear that we have any lack of capacity for most of the home games. Until it really becomes an issue I would contend we focus on what will impact the program the most. State of the art facilities for the athletes, indoor practice facility, Meanwhile Market the heck out of the program to Blo No and Central Illinois and continue to make the game day experience at the current Hancock exciting and full of energy. I find a half filled facility of any size deflating, a full stadium of any size is exciting. Check some Friday nights in small towns, maybe only 1,000 fans but the stands are packed and you can feel the excitement. Watch a MAC game on TV, half filled stadium and even though they may have 15-18K in attendance if the Stadium seats 30-40 it looks horrible. Sell outs at Hancock are fun today. Focus on getting more of those.

fourthandshort
Junior
Posts: 726
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:06 pm

Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:17 am

redbirddad10 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:34 am
As always 4th does a great job of laying out the facts. Glad to hear the attendance has grown but it still doesn't appear that we have any lack of capacity for most of the home games. Until it really becomes an issue I would contend we focus on what will impact the program the most. State of the art facilities for the athletes, indoor practice facility, Meanwhile Market the heck out of the program to Blo No and Central Illinois and continue to make the game day experience at the current Hancock exciting and full of energy. I find a half filled facility of any size deflating, a full stadium of any size is exciting. Check some Friday nights in small towns, maybe only 1,000 fans but the stands are packed and you can feel the excitement. Watch a MAC game on TV, half filled stadium and even though they may have 15-18K in attendance if the Stadium seats 30-40 it looks horrible. Sell outs at Hancock are fun today. Focus on getting more of those.
agree with your point about playing before half empty stadiums .. so this is why I liked the ideas posted about temporary constructions in south end zone, just for big event games. Idea being to see if we can build the base to 15k+ for big games with a break even minimal investment. This would then be justification to donors to start working on Hancock 3.0.

But I would rather see the IPF first .. that will help team immediately .. both with recruitment and much better practice options during winter and inclement weather.
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!

BallwinBird2012
Freshman
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:47 am

Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:20 pm

fourthandshort wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:17 am
redbirddad10 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:34 am
As always 4th does a great job of laying out the facts. Glad to hear the attendance has grown but it still doesn't appear that we have any lack of capacity for most of the home games. Until it really becomes an issue I would contend we focus on what will impact the program the most. State of the art facilities for the athletes, indoor practice facility, Meanwhile Market the heck out of the program to Blo No and Central Illinois and continue to make the game day experience at the current Hancock exciting and full of energy. I find a half filled facility of any size deflating, a full stadium of any size is exciting. Check some Friday nights in small towns, maybe only 1,000 fans but the stands are packed and you can feel the excitement. Watch a MAC game on TV, half filled stadium and even though they may have 15-18K in attendance if the Stadium seats 30-40 it looks horrible. Sell outs at Hancock are fun today. Focus on getting more of those.
agree with your point about playing before half empty stadiums .. so this is why I liked the ideas posted about temporary constructions in south end zone, just for big event games. Idea being to see if we can build the base to 15k+ for big games with a break even minimal investment. This would then be justification to donors to start working on Hancock 3.0.

But I would rather see the IPF first .. that will help team immediately .. both with recruitment and much better practice options during winter and inclement weather.
Also not a huge fan of half empty stadiums. Watched a little of South Dakota State's game this past weekend. It's about the third or fourth time I've watched one of their games since they opened their new stadium, and each game the stadium had entire sections completely empty. It's a beautiful stadium, but looks REALLY bad on them.

User avatar
TIMMY
Freshman
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:28 pm
Location: 1050 W Addison

Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:27 pm

BallwinBird2012 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:20 pm
fourthandshort wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:17 am
redbirddad10 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:34 am
As always 4th does a great job of laying out the facts. Glad to hear the attendance has grown but it still doesn't appear that we have any lack of capacity for most of the home games. Until it really becomes an issue I would contend we focus on what will impact the program the most. State of the art facilities for the athletes, indoor practice facility, Meanwhile Market the heck out of the program to Blo No and Central Illinois and continue to make the game day experience at the current Hancock exciting and full of energy. I find a half filled facility of any size deflating, a full stadium of any size is exciting. Check some Friday nights in small towns, maybe only 1,000 fans but the stands are packed and you can feel the excitement. Watch a MAC game on TV, half filled stadium and even though they may have 15-18K in attendance if the Stadium seats 30-40 it looks horrible. Sell outs at Hancock are fun today. Focus on getting more of those.
agree with your point about playing before half empty stadiums .. so this is why I liked the ideas posted about temporary constructions in south end zone, just for big event games. Idea being to see if we can build the base to 15k+ for big games with a break even minimal investment. This would then be justification to donors to start working on Hancock 3.0.

But I would rather see the IPF first .. that will help team immediately .. both with recruitment and much better practice options during winter and inclement weather.
Also not a huge fan of half empty stadiums. Watched a little of South Dakota State's game this past weekend. It's about the third or fourth time I've watched one of their games since they opened their new stadium, and each game the stadium had entire sections completely empty. It's a beautiful stadium, but looks REALLY bad on them.
No stadium looks good empty. I'd trade stadiums with the Bunnies in a second. I don't care how many empty seats they have. That place is gorgeous.
Image

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: ChiRedbirdfan, Google [Bot] and 6 guests