If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

Complain about Pres, AD and HC thread

The place to talk Redbird Men's Basketball
CaliRdBrd
Senior

Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:42 pm

BirdGrad2011 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:15 pm
vbird wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:34 pm
Maybe, Dan should recruit a little better.
I do think the class that’s signed is the best in a few years. Wouldn’t be upset if they could supplement with an immediately impact Juco like Daishon, Brown or DAP.
And here we go again...
jamminjamarsmiley
Junior

Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:53 am

CaliRdBrd wrote:
BirdGrad2011 wrote:
vbird wrote:
I do think the class that’s signed is the best in a few years. Wouldn’t be upset if they could supplement with an immediately impact Juco like Daishon, Brown or DAP.
And here we go again...
It’s a viscous cycle we have have here in RBF isn’t it?
Brick
Sophomore

Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:34 am

Maybe he’s right? If they played better we would be happy 😃. Well most of us anyhow! 👅👅🤪🤪
TIMMY
Senior

Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:40 am

2 problems that I see.
1: This didn't meed to be posted 3 times.
B: There's nothing organic or spontaneous about this. It's calculated when it's the same shit written verbatim on every thread.
The FOE feature is easily accessible on the top line of your User Control Panel. :D
ricohill
Senior

Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:05 pm

BUMP
Impeach Dietz, Lyons, and Muller
BirdGrad2011
Sophomore

Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:32 pm

CaliRdBrd wrote:
BirdGrad2011 wrote:
vbird wrote:
And here we go again...
:roll:

Just remember it’s the first class with Belcher and Jones recruiting. Belcher got some key guys at INSU that we would’ve loved to have. Jones didn’t do too bad as a HC either.
Formerly ISUBirds89
DWRedbird
Junior

Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:29 am

redblood wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:35 pm
I guess I don’t see why this next class is so impressive. Not trying to be contentious but their rankings are nothing special are they? Seeing their other offers on verbal commits once again has us beating out no one really for them. Granted, don’t think Horne had any bigger offers on there and he is obviously talented so those things aren’t everything. Would be nice though to get a couple guys that Power 5 programs are on. It does happen in college buckets.
I mean we didn't beat out a host of no bodies, we did beat out some solid mid-major programs (Rhode Island, ODU, VCU, UMass for Andrews, and Murray St, Wyoming, Northern Kentucky for Flemming). They aren't power 5 programs, but they are solid mid-major teams that I think any of us would love to be like. Washington is the only one of the 3 with less than impressive offers, but he has also been nominated for McDonald's All-American.

I'm not saying this is a program saving/changing class, especially because recruiting is always a crapshoot. But, I like what I've seen out of them in video, and folks I follow, and have heard from around basketball seem to like those three. So, I'm cautiously optimistic with them personally. That said, I'd say let's at least let them get on campus and start playing before claiming this class is "over hyped" or we are doomed.
CaliRdBrd wrote:
BirdGrad2011 wrote:
vbird wrote:
And here we go again...

Not for nothing but this reaction isn't unique to ISU. Every college basketball team in America gets excited about their new recruits. New recruits represent change and hope when things are bad.
BirdGrad2011
Sophomore

Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:48 am

Washington also spent 3 years in nowhere Mississippi. He’s now in Georgia playing better competition and just dropped 20+ the other night. Not sure how good he’ll wind up but don’t write him off either. Fleming might wind up the prize of the class. His shoulder injuries have kept larger schools at bay. He’s making his debut this coming week.
Formerly ISUBirds89
CaliRdBrd
Senior

Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:09 am

DWRedbird wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:29 am
redblood wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:35 pm
I guess I don’t see why this next class is so impressive. Not trying to be contentious but their rankings are nothing special are they? Seeing their other offers on verbal commits once again has us beating out no one really for them. Granted, don’t think Horne had any bigger offers on there and he is obviously talented so those things aren’t everything. Would be nice though to get a couple guys that Power 5 programs are on. It does happen in college buckets.
I mean we didn't beat out a host of no bodies, we did beat out some solid mid-major programs (Rhode Island, ODU, VCU, UMass for Andrews, and Murray St, Wyoming, Northern Kentucky for Flemming). They aren't power 5 programs, but they are solid mid-major teams that I think any of us would love to be like. Washington is the only one of the 3 with less than impressive offers, but he has also been nominated for McDonald's All-American.

I'm not saying this is a program saving/changing class, especially because recruiting is always a crapshoot. But, I like what I've seen out of them in video, and folks I follow, and have heard from around basketball seem to like those three. So, I'm cautiously optimistic with them personally. That said, I'd say let's at least let them get on campus and start playing before claiming this class is "over hyped" or we are doomed.
CaliRdBrd wrote:
BirdGrad2011 wrote:

And here we go again...

Not for nothing but this reaction isn't unique to ISU. Every college basketball team in America gets excited about their new recruits. New recruits represent change and hope when things are bad.
Fair point. Hope spring eternal...it’s honestly all we have at this point.
ricohill
Senior

Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:22 am

Baltimore Bird
Sophomore

Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:43 pm

In a time of turmoil for Universities in Illinois, ISU is doing great. President Dietz has been part of that.
ISU Athletics is constantly winning championships and is generally in overall good condition. AD Lyons has been part of that.
Our Men's bball team is currently in disarray. I agree with that. However, 3 years ago when Muller was a hot commodity most everyone wanted to keep him for a long time. Right now, that looks like a bad decision. Hindsight is 20/20.

The constant negativity by some has become too much. 20% of the posters bring the other 80% down. Those 80% actually offer a valued opinion and provide some insight. I am signing off until the regular season ends. At that point, I will calculate who won MVC Prediction Contest and get them their prize.

I am still proud to be a REDBIRD and will be for life.
Redbirds and Cardinals, A Combination that Makes Sense! GO BIRDS!
TBS_20
Freshman

Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:52 pm

Championships in tennis or whatever it is dont bring in revenue. Let's not kid ourselves.
gobirds85
Junior

Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:51 pm

Baltimore Bird wrote:
In a time of turmoil for Universities in Illinois, ISU is doing great. President Dietz has been part of that.
ISU Athletics is constantly winning championships and is generally in overall good condition. AD Lyons has been part of that.
Our Men's bball team is currently in disarray. I agree with that. However, 3 years ago when Muller was a hot commodity most everyone wanted to keep him for a long time. Right now, that looks like a bad decision. Hindsight is 20/20.

The constant negativity by some has become too much. 20% of the posters bring the other 80% down. Those 80% actually offer a valued opinion and provide some insight. I am signing off until the regular season ends. At that point, I will calculate who won MVC Prediction Contest and get them their prize.

Baltimore, I mean no disrespect and I’m not trying to be a smart azz, but really how hot was Dan? What schools were actually reaching out to him?

I reiterate, I loved the hire but hated the extension. Lyons jumped the gun and placed ISU in a horrible position. The ire here should be more directed at him. #dumplyons.
ricohill
Senior

Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:04 pm

gobirds85 wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:51 pm
Baltimore Bird wrote:

Baltimore, I mean no disrespect and I’m not trying to be a smart azz, but really how hot was Dan? What schools were actually reaching out to him?

I reiterate, I loved the hire but hated the extension. Lyons jumped the gun and placed ISU in a horrible position. The ire here should be more directed at him. #dumplyons.
And the sad thing is Larry hasn't learned from his mistake.

He extended Kristen Gillespie until 2024 earlier this year.
https://goredbirds.com/news/2019/11/12/ ... nsion.aspx

I'm not saying she hasn't done a good job, but she hasn't done anything worthy of an extension either. I understand she took them out of the cellar, but I think to get an early extension you should at least have to go to post-season. To just hand out extensions for average seasons is how you put the athletic department in risk.
jbird
Sophomore

Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:50 am

No one should need a law degree to know that Quinn is, of course, correct about nobody having free speech rights on his site. Any high school civics class that involved a constitution test should have sufficed.

Quinn is not............as far as I know..........a unit of government. Free speech rights only protect citizens from speech censorship by the government. In a private residence or private place of business, especially when one has agreed in writing to comply with the host's/owner's rules, there is no right to say whatever you want. If you don't like the fact that you have no legal right to say whatever you want on a privately-owned message board, maybe you should go watch TV. I have found both Hulka and Quinn to be very tolerant in allowing contentious back-and-forth arguments that might be perceived as including personal digs; I know that the now-departed imnemt and I were not always courteous in our disagreements on this Board, even though we were equally devoted and passionate Redbird fans.

Does anyone really believe that (s)he can go into a church or synagogue during religious services and exercise free speech rights? From what Hulka has told me, there are things that you can say even in a strip club that will get you thrown out by a bouncer. As you are being tossed out on your ass, I don't think that asserting free speech rights would be well-received or legally effective.

Changing the subject to the "old guard," I'm willing to by generous to relative newbies who take cheap shots at people such as Hulka and Tpguy because perhaps you are too new to the board to have koniwledge of, and appreciation for, their contributions to this forum and to ISU fans, including student fans. For those of you who think that your right to bitch about ISU is being unfairly restricted, it is Hulka who gave you this place to bitch in the first place. You would probably take cheap shots at Thomas Edison when a light bulb blows.
tojo311

Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:56 am

Deleted.
Last edited by tojo311 on Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
SgtHulka
Senior

Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:12 am

jbird wrote:
No one should need a law degree to know that Quinn is, of course, correct about nobody having free speech rights on his site. Any high school civics class that involved a constitution test should have sufficed.

Quinn is not............as far as I know..........a unit of government. Free speech rights only protect citizens from speech censorship by the government. In a private residence or private place of business, especially when one has agreed in writing to comply with the host's/owner's rules, there is no right to say whatever you want. If you don't like the fact that you have no legal right to say whatever you want on a privately-owned message board, maybe you should go watch TV. I have found both Hulka and Quinn to be very tolerant in allowing contentious back-and-forth arguments that might be perceived as including personal digs; I know that the now-departed imnemt and I were not always courteous in our disagreements on this Board, even though we were equally devoted and passionate Redbird fans.

Does anyone really believe that (s)he can go into a church or synagogue during religious services and exercise free speech rights? From what Hulka has told me, there are things that you can say even in a strip club that will get you thrown out by a bouncer. As you are being tossed out on your ass, I don't think that asserting free speech rights would be well-received or legally effective.

Changing the subject to the "old guard," I'm willing to by generous to relative newbies who take cheap shots at people such as Hulka and Tpguy because perhaps you are too new to the board to have koniwledge of, and appreciation for, their contributions to this forum and to ISU fans, including student fans. For those of you who think that your right to bitch about ISU is being unfairly restricted, it is Hulka who gave you this place to bitch in the first place. You would probably take cheap shots at Thomas Edison when a light bulb blows.
Hey! I had you on retainer for the strip club incident. So much for client attorney privileges :naughty:
Redbirdfan.net Koolaid Krew, Sgt at Arms
Premium Content Forum Moderator
4 MORE YEARS!!!!
Humdinger
Senior

Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:19 pm

jbird wrote:
From what Hulka has told me, there are things that you can say even in a strip club that will get you thrown out by a bouncer.
Made me laugh out loud. :clap: But if you're gonna offer a gem like this, gotta be its own individual post.
SgtHulka
Senior

Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:27 pm

Humdinger wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:19 pm
jbird wrote:
From what Hulka has told me, there are things that you can say even in a strip club that will get you thrown out by a bouncer.
Made me laugh out loud. :clap: But if you're gonna offer a gem like this, gotta be its own individual post.
:text-+1:
Redbirdfan.net Koolaid Krew, Sgt at Arms
Premium Content Forum Moderator
4 MORE YEARS!!!!
jbird
Sophomore

Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:43 pm

tojo311 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:56 am
There's still free speech, even though there are limitations. There are limitations on free speech in any environment whether it be shouting fire in a crowded theater, derogatory epithets at an athletic event, disrupting a quiet religious service or rules on the message board. But that doesn't negate the fact that free speech exists everywhere in this country and that it's a bedrock American principle. Without it we would be no different than a North Korean dictatorship police state that starves and kills its own people.

I think the headline of this link encapsulates my point entirely in that free speech and message board rules simultaneously exist. Free speech still exists, even though there's limitations/rules. https://www.fastcompany.com/1000369/fre ... ommunities
Free Speech and Censorship in Online Communities
Is free speech an absolute right in online communities? Yes, but community owners have the right to establish and enforce codes of conduct.
And again further down the page:
You do have the right of free speech, but the owners of a community also have the right to establish and enforce codes of conduct within the community.
If by freedom of speech you mean that at any time and in any place, you possess the physical ability to form your mouth and tongue in a position that, after forcing air over your larynx, you can expel audible words, I stipulate to that ability.

If, however you are referring to a legal "right," I don't need to waste my time clicking on a link to a blog or whatever that link was.

Under the "best evidence rule," literal words of the First Amendment are kinda sorta superior to your link, and the first five words before mentioning the rights of religion, speech and assembly are "Congress shall make no law....." The Founding Fathers were apparently not prescient enough to start the First Anendment with "Congress shall make no law, and in 230 years isuquinndig shall adopt or enforce no message board policy.......abridging the freedom of speech...." The Constitutional "right" is a prohibition against Congress limiting free speech.